Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 08:03 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,278 times

Advertisements

TVSG since youre in Philly can you apply to the city and work on A&E's Parking wars? I would try that if I lived there.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:37 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
TVSG since youre in Philly can you apply to the city and work on A&E's Parking wars? I would try that if I lived there.

I have applied for city jobs and it looks I will be working by March or April due to the long hiring process

Old 12-22-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I have applied for city jobs and it looks I will be working by March or April due to the long hiring process
I think you should apply to be a parking cop. Then we can all say that we knew TVSG before your fortune and fame.
I know city jobs can take forever (just like county, state and federal jobs I am sure).

Old 12-22-2012, 09:52 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
TVSG, you cry about people "insulting all of the unemployed" when they make a comment towards you but you are a hypocrite.

You said, some pages back, that night jobs were for ex cons and those who have no college education. You are making blanket statements about people who work at night. I happen to work at night because I LIKE working at night. I am not an ex con and I am most certainly college educated. So before you fly off the handle at other people for perceived slights, I suggest you look at your own words.

Further, those jobs that are, "beneath you"? Boy, I tell you, you have some nerve. You really do. I took on a job that I would never have dreamed I would do. I still ask myself, some days, "what the hell am I doing here?" I'll tell you what I'm doing there...I'm making it ON. MY. OWN. I am NOT asking for the people of this country to support my ass so I can surf the internet all day and complain that I can't find a job. Sometimes you have to take what ever the hell you can get.

This particular job pays well, the benefits are exceptional and I like the schedule. The commute, that you are too good for, is 65 miles...ONE. WAY. But guess what's the difference between you and me: You have $0.00 in your account, I have much, much more than that. So maybe this little ideology you have isn't the smartest one.

No places are hiring? Where I work now, they need people. In fact, I was offered three jobs at the same time...ALL of them need people. One is non profit but it's been around for over a hundred years, it contributes to all of society, health wise, (genetics research), and it doesn't solely rely on government hand outs. It has a lot of donors, as well. The other was in a field I have absolutely zero experience in, the pay wasn't the best but I went through the orientation and all the other stuff they wanted, ready to take it because I would get the experience, would be put through the required courses, would have to test and when that happened, my pay would go up.

In the end, I chose the government job for various reasons even though I do not particularly LIKE the work. In the end, right now it doesn't matter a damn if I "like" the work. It's not forever and frankly, it got my foot in the door to other positions. What I do now, I won't do forever but I will do something in this capacity...in some way.

Why? Because I was willing to expand my job search from the area I knew, (if you can call it "knowing" seeing as I was only here just over a year so no, I don't really "know" my area that well), I was willing to commute more than 2 blocks, I am willing to work whatever hours they want me to work, (I got nights, that's what I wanted, hurray for me...wow, sometimes it can work out), I'm willing to go through this initial phase, doing something I'm not really all that interested in doing because I know, DOWN THE ROAD, it will pay off.

You think in the here and now. You don't think in to the future.

I have not once taken a single hand out, not UI, not food stamps, NOTHING. And while I did go over a year without a full time job, that did not stop me from working multiple part time jobs. Last year at this time, I was working FOUR jobs. What makes you so damn special that you can't do that?

You sit here and demand...yes, DEMAND, that WE continue to pay for YOU but you are not willing to put forth the effort that others have.

Do you think it was easy to work four fricken jobs?! Do you think I enjoyed NEVER being home? Getting hardly any sleep? Do I particularly enjoy this long ass commute?

NO to all of the above.

But if you have ANY damn sense of pride in yourself, you get up off of your butt and you do what you have to do, regardless if it's the "same amount as UI", and stop demanding that others pay your way.

No. You are able bodied, you CAN work. You could have been working this entire time. You are not special. You are not better than any of us.

So while you continue to bleat that others are "insulting" all of those unemployed, might I state that YOU are insulting all of us who have done all that which you are so unwilling to do because you think you are so much better than that...you are saying you are better than us which is HIGHLY insulting.

Your glass house is severely cracked.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:00 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Excellent Post, Three Wolves in Snow. If all on UC had your drive (yes, I know you never took it!!), we'd have less long-term unemployment. By looking at the long-term, what you are displaying is confidence in your own ability to succeed, simply given a chance to impress and display your ability and motivation.

The short-term thinkers have severe issues which, at their root, are a lack of self-confidence. They are also the ones in and out of jobs, when they do get one, and unwillingly out, more often than not.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:16 PM

I agree with 3 wolves, and if I had half of the ambition that 3 wolves has I would not be in my situation. I am at that point now where I am applying to EVERY entry level job I am qualified for. I don't really have the agressive mentality needed for a sales job, but at this point it is survival and keeping a roof over my head is needed. Who knows maybe I will find that I can do a sales job now and if I can't I can always continue looking for another job but I have to do something and I have to do it now.
I have a strong background in customer service (11 years) and about 5 years of admin. work so I am flexible with the things that I can do. At this point there is nothing beneth me - if I get a job at McDonald's or Wal Mart then I work my butt off for low pay. Many, many people have to do that now. I may have to get 2 jobs to be close to my old pay but if I can get 2 jobs then I will be grateful for those 2 jobs.
I think the change in UI will force many people to open their eyes and try something new.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
TVSG, you cry about people "insulting all of the unemployed" when they make a comment towards you but you are a hypocrite.

You said, some pages back, that night jobs were for ex cons and those who have no college education. You are making blanket statements about people who work at night. I happen to work at night because I LIKE working at night. I am not an ex con and I am most certainly college educated. So before you fly off the handle at other people for perceived slights, I suggest you look at your own words.

Further, those jobs that are, "beneath you"? Boy, I tell you, you have some nerve. You really do. I took on a job that I would never have dreamed I would do. I still ask myself, some days, "what the hell am I doing here?" I'll tell you what I'm doing there...I'm making it ON. MY. OWN. I am NOT asking for the people of this country to support my ass so I can surf the internet all day and complain that I can't find a job. Sometimes you have to take what ever the hell you can get.

This particular job pays well, the benefits are exceptional and I like the schedule. The commute, that you are too good for, is 65 miles...ONE. WAY. But guess what's the difference between you and me: You have $0.00 in your account, I have much, much more than that. So maybe this little ideology you have isn't the smartest one.

No places are hiring? Where I work now, they need people. In fact, I was offered three jobs at the same time...ALL of them need people. One is non profit but it's been around for over a hundred years, it contributes to all of society, health wise, (genetics research), and it doesn't solely rely on government hand outs. It has a lot of donors, as well. The other was in a field I have absolutely zero experience in, the pay wasn't the best but I went through the orientation and all the other stuff they wanted, ready to take it because I would get the experience, would be put through the required courses, would have to test and when that happened, my pay would go up.

In the end, I chose the government job for various reasons even though I do not particularly LIKE the work. In the end, right now it doesn't matter a damn if I "like" the work. It's not forever and frankly, it got my foot in the door to other positions. What I do now, I won't do forever but I will do something in this capacity...in some way.

Why? Because I was willing to expand my job search from the area I knew, (if you can call it "knowing" seeing as I was only here just over a year so no, I don't really "know" my area that well), I was willing to commute more than 2 blocks, I am willing to work whatever hours they want me to work, (I got nights, that's what I wanted, hurray for me...wow, sometimes it can work out), I'm willing to go through this initial phase, doing something I'm not really all that interested in doing because I know, DOWN THE ROAD, it will pay off.

You think in the here and now. You don't think in to the future.

I have not once taken a single hand out, not UI, not food stamps, NOTHING. And while I did go over a year without a full time job, that did not stop me from working multiple part time jobs. Last year at this time, I was working FOUR jobs. What makes you so damn special that you can't do that?

You sit here and demand...yes, DEMAND, that WE continue to pay for YOU but you are not willing to put forth the effort that others have.

Do you think it was easy to work four fricken jobs?! Do you think I enjoyed NEVER being home? Getting hardly any sleep? Do I particularly enjoy this long ass commute?

NO to all of the above.

But if you have ANY damn sense of pride in yourself, you get up off of your butt and you do what you have to do, regardless if it's the "same amount as UI", and stop demanding that others pay your way.

No. You are able bodied, you CAN work. You could have been working this entire time. You are not special. You are not better than any of us.

So while you continue to bleat that others are "insulting" all of those unemployed, might I state that YOU are insulting all of us who have done all that which you are so unwilling to do because you think you are so much better than that...you are saying you are better than us which is HIGHLY insulting.

Your glass house is severely cracked.

Cool story

Old 12-22-2012, 11:07 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

...Sometimes you have to take what ever the hell you can get.

...In the end, I chose the government job for various reasons even though I do not particularly LIKE the work. .

...think in to the future.
I remember how hard you worked to get that job. I just want to say congratulations again. I don't know if I would have been able to hang as tough as you, although i would certainly have given it my best shot.

Best to you.

TVSG, forgive me please for hijacking your post. I'd like to congratulate you as well, for doing the analysis to imagine yourself in a different role that uses your experience, and applying for a city job on the basis of that analysis. I'd have a rough time re-inventing myself now, although I'd done it in a previous life after the recession of the 90s. Good on you for having the courage to do it, and I hope that the job comes through in less than the four months you anticipate.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Old 12-22-2012, 11:23 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The short-term thinkers have severe issues which, at their root, are a lack of self-confidence. They are also the ones in and out of jobs, when they do get one, and unwillingly out, more often than not.
Astute observation as usual, bobtn! There's another factor that another poster here brings up, (?sp? - forgive my memory) 3bunny is her name. She is a professional in HR, and says that corporate culture is a very real thing. The example she cited was along the lines of 'what some people perceive as catty and malicious, others perceive as friendly. What some perceive as professionalism, others perceive as snootiness.' She didn't dot the lines, but the conclusion is clear. Both groups are correct.

It's a wonder that anybody manages to get and keep a job anymore a 'tall. I know I'd be disoriented for sure.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
I remember how hard you worked to get that job. I just want to say congratulations again. I don't know if I would have been able to hang as tough as you, although i would certainly have given it my best shot.

Best to you.

TVSG, forgive me please for hijacking your post. I'd like to congratulate you as well, for doing the analysis to imagine yourself in a different role that uses your experience, and applying for a city job on the basis of that analysis. I'd have a rough time re-inventing myself now, although I'd done it in a previous life after the recession of the 90s. Good on you for having the courage to do it, and I hope that the job comes through in less than the four months you anticipate.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Yeah by late March I should be working for the city which will be a nice comeback. Also took some luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment