Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 08:50 PM

163 posts, read 247,330 times

Advertisements

I’ve worked a handful of jobs and one of the many things that I don’t understand is...Why are my co-workers so hostile, negative, angry, judgmental, etc against competitors?

I can understand bad blood between two companies if one company split from the other or legitimately screwed the other over. However that isn’t the case here.

My co-workers seem to ‘puff up’ when they see or hear how our competitor does something different...nothing wrong but just different. I hear comments like “those idiots, they don’t know what they are doing, that’s garbage...” I’ve even heard co-workers talk down competitors to clients; but it isn’t always in the best taste. I understand telling an existing or potential client what we do differently and how it’s better than what our competition does, but trash talk is where I get uncomfortable. When I say trash talk (in front of clients) I don’t mean hardcore slander or detailed dirt stories. More like unnecessary comments “Yah, ABC company got rid of them (competitor) because they ‘dropped the ball’.

But in the office behind closed doors its “ABC has a bunch of losers working who thought it would be a good idea to ‘do this differently’ which resulted in ‘this’ because some dummy over there is a ‘****’. (Off the wall exaggerated speech that is only spoken to increase ego...?).
I guess maybe I don’t get too jacked up about it because I’m not the business owner. There is usually more work then we can handle as it is, why get heated up about it?

Have you observed this at work? What can I say next time a co-worker’s start trash talking competitors at the office to make them understand that they sound like idiots?
Maybe I should encourage it in order to increase ego and confidence so that they do a stellar job?

One of the many things I don’t understand......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 09:02 PM

43 posts, read 158,715 times
I think people bash the competitor because they think this is what everyone else wants to hear. It's as though they think it makes them seem like a more dedicated employee....a good little soldier. The funny thing is I've known a lot of people like this over the years and they're usually the first ones to jump ship when they get a better offer from the competition. Not that I blame them for pursuing a better offer -- it's just funny when they do it after all that trash talk.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:42 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Those who have experience know competition is a plus and should be motivation to be the best. I have seen people behave like high schoolers in regards to competitors. Lack of experience usually is a factor in this.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:38 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,335 times
Yeah, competition is a good thing.

At my job, we don't worry too much about our competitors. Of course we pay attention to them, and generally treat them with respect...but we mostly just focus on our own company and projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment