Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 12:47 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Doesn't mean you have to comply. There are only 2 reasons for this request. 1) To lowball you. 2) To use the W2 and tax returns to discriminate by way of eliminating an "unfavorable" demographic.
That's the bottom line. And 3) It's offensive as it's implying that you, the candidate is a lier.

It's not a good way to start a new working relationship.

Makes me wonder what the company has to hide if they are so paranoid and rigid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 12:57 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,509 times
For the IRS to release your tax return to someone other than you and/or accountant if you have listed your accountant you would be required to sign off on some form.
I find all this nonsense employers are doing today disgusting and there is no basis for it. Requesting your FB password and such things are an invasion of your privacy.
I would not be happy about my W2 but if any company asks for a copy of your tax return tell them to shove it. Thats like asking you to drop your pants in an interview to see if you have on clean underwear.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:58 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,509 times
By the way a company that would ask for your tax return would monitor the heck out of you - phone - computer - probably cameras also.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:09 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
For the IRS to release your tax return to someone other than you and/or accountant if you have listed your accountant you would be required to sign off on some form.
I find all this nonsense employers are doing today disgusting and there is no basis for it. Requesting your FB password and such things are an invasion of your privacy.
I would not be happy about my W2 but if any company asks for a copy of your tax return tell them to shove it. Thats like asking you to drop your pants in an interview to see if you have on clean underwear.
Exactly. The recession has only been 4 years, but yet employers are trying to take advantage of a desperate demographic. I'm sure MILLIONS of americans have messed up credit right now. The number has to be in the high double digit millions and I'm being conservative in that estimate, it's probably higher. Besides the millions that walked away from their homes, there are the millions that are facing foreclosure by the banks right now. We won't even talk about the millions who have probably been evicted from rental properties as well.

What's really funny is that WALMART have employees dealing money and merchandise every freaking day and I'm sure the majority of them have a horrible credit history. I'm going to include Macys here too. If these companies requested "good credit", then they wouldn't have any employees to work their stores. The most they can hope for is a pass of a criminal background check and call it a day.

Quote:
By the way a company that would ask for your tax return would monitor the heck out of you - phone - computer - probably cameras also.
Oh, yes. Most definitely. I know several people with a "company" cell phone and I tell them all the time to be very, very careful what they search or text. I wouldn't even check my emails on a company phone, because the powers that be could get access to it. You also have to be careful using the company's wifi too.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:46 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Oh, yes. Most definitely. I know several people with a "company" cell phone and I tell them all the time to be very, very careful what they search or text. I wouldn't even check my emails on a company phone, because the powers that be could get access to it. You also have to be careful using the company's wifi too.
In case there are any here who haven't thought about it, if you use a computer at work that is connected to their network, EVERY site you visit and how long you stay at that site IS logged. If you want to check your e-mail while at work or check something on the Internet, use the browser on your PERSONAL cell phone. They don't have access to that.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:11 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times
Of course. It's common sense. unless you have a motive that includes you WANTING them to catch you.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Undoubtedly. Any company application process during which I am handed a Form 4506-T to sign, I am going to politely withdraw and articulate my reasons, politely again. That's all. Let's keep it simple.
I am not applying for a position with the FBI or Dept of Defense. They can ask for a drug test and criminal background check. The can request a credit check; although uncomfortable with that, I will comply.

W2s and/or tax returns (Form 4506-T) - not on your life. Not under threat of fire.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Undoubtedly again. But how do you know they don't have cameras in the bathroom? Why, because it's illegal? Companies do plenty that is illegal. That is why attorneys make a fortune in litigation. Arbitrators and judges too.

Further, how do you know they won't monitor you outside your work hours? Hire a snoop to watch you outside of your job? To see who you're married to, with whom you live, your kids, where you go drinking and "hanging out." Again, I am not referring to F500 V.P.s and corporate espionage cases involving international trade secrets and billions. I am talking regular, private sector cubicle jobs that don't pay over 5 digit salaries.

It's McCarthyism to ask for W2s and tax returns.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:48 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:

About two years ago I was asked for a W2 during the interview, mind you this was for an Administrative Assistant position. I politely declined and ended the interview. They don't need such documentation from me and I was not about to cater to them. Next......

Old 12-27-2012, 09:28 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
About two years ago I was asked for a W2 during the interview, mind you this was for an Administrative Assistant position. I politely declined and ended the interview. They don't need such documentation from me and I was not about to cater to them. Next......
I've never been asked this, but WHY did they want one from you? What was their bullcrap reason for wanting it?

Oh, and you did the absolute RIGHT THING. Did they want to see how much you made?

It would have been funny if you gave them a copy with everything, but your name, the company name and tax id number blocked out. LOL!

Nosey bastards.

Hopefully, you found a job shortly after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment