Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 04:11 PM

235 posts, read 434,488 times

Advertisements

There is no way IRS is going to divulgle your tax information to them. They can put in a request, but only certain info is given out, and you have to give written permission for that.
IRS''s biggest thing is taxpayer privacy. Anyone looking at someone else's tax return without just cause, such as an audit, checking to make sure all info on the form is right, etc. Employees cannot even access their own info. If they do, it is automattically fired, and pressed charges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 04:39 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
Personally, I'd tell any company that asks for W-2s or pay stubs from old jobs to shove it. That said, they can't pull up old tax returns without your consent. There is an IRS form to request your tax return from a previous year, but it is an official IRS form that you have to sign yourself to authorize release of that information.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:56 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
You want the job, just do what they ask. No chance at all if you don't.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:17 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
Feel free, if you think you can get away with it, to give them fake ones. Nothing illegal about it, unless you try to defraud the government.

In this day and age, employers are getting more and more intrusive like this, and lying and deception are just as legitimate in the employment arena as they are in warfare.
I also agree in giving them fake ones as well. It really is none of their business. Go to staples or look online to create your own W2s. CL has ads to help with this sort of thing too.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:41 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Do not fake a W2! You can fudge on an application but do not lie.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Do not fake a W2! You can fudge on an application but do not lie.
His prior W2s is none of their business. He needs a job and they have one to offer. If he has the skills and can do the job, then his prior W2s shouldn't be an issue. It's just unnecessary bullcrap.

If it's a GOVERNMENT JOB, then no, I wouldn't lie, but a regular company, hell yes, I would.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:13 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
His prior W2s is none of their business. He needs a job and they have one to offer. If he has the skills and can do the job, then his prior W2s shouldn't be an issue. It's just unnecessary bullcrap.

If it's a GOVERNMENT JOB, then no, I wouldn't lie, but a regular company, hell yes, I would.

Agreed.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:43 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

Well...for high level clearance gov't jobs, they may request it. For SUPER high C-level F500 positions that deal with sales, yes, they can.

See Employers asking job seekers for W-2 or tax return - SFGate

Doesn't mean you have to comply. There are only 2 reasons for this request. 1) To lowball you. 2) To use the W2 and tax returns to discriminate by way of eliminating an "unfavorable" demographic.
That's the bottom line. And 3) It's offensive as it's implying that you, the candidate is a lier.

It's not a good way to start a new working relationship.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:45 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
Oh, and I wouldn't waste my time doctoring fake documents. It's not worth it.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Well...for high level clearance gov't jobs, they may request it. For SUPER high C-level F500 positions that deal with sales, yes, they can.

See Employers asking job seekers for W-2 or tax return - SFGate

Doesn't mean you have to comply. There are only 2 reasons for this request. 1) To lowball you. 2) To use the W2 and tax returns to discriminate by way of eliminating an "unfavorable" demographic.
That's the bottom line. And 3) It's offensive as it's implying that you, the candidate is a lier.

It's not a good way to start a new working relationship.
Hey, they can "ask" and I can always say no or give them fake info. I will never let a third party access the info for me. Equifax is seriously overstepping their boundaries and I wish more job seekers would say no to this nonsense.

But this is the REAL reason why they want to see the information:

Quote:
Delete some info

She says employers should, at a minimum, ask applicants to delete their Social Security numbers on a W-2 or tax return, she says.

These forms also include information - such as nontaxable sick pay, dependent care credits and adoption benefits - that suggest an applicant might be in a class protected by federal or state antidiscrimination laws, Waltemath says.

Tax data, or lack thereof, can also reveal whether a person is unemployed. In several states (New Jersey, Oregon and the District of Columbia) it is unlawful for an employer to refuse to consider an applicant who is currently unemployed, she adds.
It's just a way to be unnecessarily intrusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment