Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 11:15 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
The thing is that everyone brings in so much food already, I'd just be adding to the calories.

Also, I just don't WANT to buy anything for them like I said. lol They are nice people but that doesn't mean I should spend money on them just because it's the holiday season. They already have family and friends to celebrate the holidays with.
I have a hard enough time buying for people that I KNOW (family members, close friends).

I would like to add a comment about the birthday stuff....I used to work at a very large hospital here and the department would always get a monthly birthday cake for all the people born in that month. Simple, right? You'd think.....but, no. Lucky for me, I was in charge of ordering the cake from whatever bakery I chose. I decided to go with the best bakery in town, with a decades long-standing excellent reputation for the best baked goods in the city. Very reasonably priced, as well. Wouldn't you know, the first cake I got from this bakery, some of the women in the department griped and complained about it being dry (it wasn't). They "suggested" that I get it from WalMart. So, the next month to appease the complainers, I got the cake from WalMart. But, guess what? The same women complained about this one tasting like dishwashing liquid!! This went on for about 4 months, with my getting cakes from other bakeries and such. NOTHING satisfied them. Finally, the manager was so fed up with their griping and complaining about the cakes, that she stopped the birthday cake thing completely. IMHO....something that should have never been started to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 11:40 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,562 times
I got a $150 gift card to a spa from out Business Development people for Christmas. Technically I didn't get them anything...besides working countless hours for them to earn their massive commission checks all year long

Old 12-21-2012, 12:27 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
I work on a team of about 15 people and every year around this time, the majority of the people on my team decide to bring in holiday cards and a small gift (e.g. candy, baked goods, shower gel- usually something under $10) for everyone on the team. I always sincerely thank everyone who gives me something, but I choose not to give gifts myself. I am polite to all of my coworkers but I don't consider them friends, so giving them a gift wouldn't be coming from my heart and it would only be something done out of obligation (and I don't do things out of obligation). I am not worried about getting a bad reputation or losing out on promotions because of this, and don't really feel bad about it. I'm just annoyed that most of the people on my team go along with the obligation because I know they don't really want to buy gifts for 15 people who they aren't even close to. If the mood ever strikes one year and I feel like I WANT to buy gifts for my team, I will, but until that happens, I won't.

Does this happen at your job too? Do you feel obligated to give gifts to people because you received something?
Thankfully people in my office don't seem to be in the habit of exchanging gifts. Works for me!

I think having to buy everyone a gift would get exhausting, and it's not really fair to ask someone to shell out for that. It's stupid. A Secret Santa gift exchange or a cookie party are much more sensible alternatives.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:42 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Thankfully people in my office don't seem to be in the habit of exchanging gifts. Works for me!

I think having to buy everyone a gift would get exhausting, and it's not really fair to ask someone to shell out for that. It's stupid. A Secret Santa gift exchange or a cookie party are much more sensible alternatives.
We even already had a holiday party and a Secret Santa exchange and they STILL gave out more gifts!

Old 12-21-2012, 12:47 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
We even already had a holiday party and a Secret Santa exchange and they STILL gave out more gifts!
Yikes. Glad I don't work there!

Old 12-21-2012, 01:44 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
Quote:
Does this happen at your job too? Do you feel obligated to give gifts to people because you received something?
Gift giving is not an expectation at my job. However, many people do. I thank the givers, but don't do Christmas giving at work. I like most of the people on my team, and we do socialize during the year. I prefer to show my appreciation to my friends when the mood strikes, but not at Christmas.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:12 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
A couple of people I work with give out small gifts but I never have. I just tell them "thank-you" as nicely as possible and move on. I hate to be a grinch, but there are enough useless do-dads in the world and I don't feel the need to add more.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:35 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
The horror.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:46 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The horror.
Do you have anything to contribute to my thread besides sarcastic comments?

Old 12-21-2012, 02:49 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Do you have anything to contribute to my thread besides sarcastic comments?
An opposing viewpoint. It just sounds like sarcasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment