Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 09:25 PM

136 posts, read 239,261 times

Advertisements

You always need to be vague about your social life even in casual work conversations. IF for no other reason than to keep coworkers from getting overly familiar. Limiting after work outings.

He sounds old enough to know better. If you're not absolutely certain it was intneded to be a DATE then try to steer it back to an informal group outing. Are you new to the job? He may have mis interpreted your eagerness to bond with the group. You can say you'd rather not get involved with ANYONE (hopefully he wont take it personally) until you've had a little more time to become adjusted.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:13 PM

905 posts, read 1,103,020 times
I'm in a completely different situation, but can elaborate. Hopefully he is NOTHING like the evil manager I was recently screwed over by, or you're SOL. By that, I mean people who take things too personally, and seek revenge. I stood up for my own worker rights and became a target of harassment for it where I'm at. If the guy you're dealing with is the same way, prepare for trouble, no matter how nicely or gently you turn him down. It sucks, but it's reality.

Unfortunately, authoritative positions tend to attract the wrong people who will abuse their power sometimes. Hopefully you ended up with a manager who is mature enough to handle rejection like a man. But the fact he's already hitting on you in the workplace is a bad sign. I'm not trying to be a pessimist here, just trying to help out. If you have an opportunity to get ANY hard proof of harassment after turning this guy down, do not hesitate to get your hands on it! And start planning for multiple scenarios - anything from the easy "They accept it and it's a done deal", to the "Time to start job hunting" paths.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:29 AM

1,659 posts, read 2,776,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiShi View Post
You always need to be vague about your social life even in casual work conversations. IF for no other reason than to keep coworkers from getting overly familiar. Limiting after work outings.

He sounds old enough to know better. If you're not absolutely certain it was intneded to be a DATE then try to steer it back to an informal group outing. Are you new to the job? He may have mis interpreted your eagerness to bond with the group. You can say you'd rather not get involved with ANYONE (hopefully he wont take it personally) until you've had a little more time to become adjusted.
Believe it or not I've been there for years so it's clear I don't hook up with anyone at work. That's definitely not my MO. I mentioned my boyfriend and said that I tried to get him to relocate but he wouldn't but he is still alive and I'm thinking I should start showing his picture around or something to get the point across. IDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
I'm in a completely different situation, but can elaborate. Hopefully he is NOTHING like the evil manager I was recently screwed over by, or you're SOL. By that, I mean people who take things too personally, and seek revenge. I stood up for my own worker rights and became a target of harassment for it where I'm at. If the guy you're dealing with is the same way, prepare for trouble, no matter how nicely or gently you turn him down. It sucks, but it's reality.

Unfortunately, authoritative positions tend to attract the wrong people who will abuse their power sometimes. Hopefully you ended up with a manager who is mature enough to handle rejection like a man. But the fact he's already hitting on you in the workplace is a bad sign. I'm not trying to be a pessimist here, just trying to help out. If you have an opportunity to get ANY hard proof of harassment after turning this guy down, do not hesitate to get your hands on it! And start planning for multiple scenarios - anything from the easy "They accept it and it's a done deal", to the "Time to start job hunting" paths.
I heard that!

Old 12-24-2012, 06:02 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
As soon as he mentioned dinner and dancing, you should have said "hmmmm, im not sure my boyfriend would approve"

Old 12-24-2012, 07:38 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Seems highly inappropriate to me that a manager would ask out a subordinate. Be polite about rejecting his offer. Like others have mentioned, suggest that your boyfriend would not approve. Hopefully, he'll step back at that point. If not, you might have a HR issue.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:48 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
So, I'm chit chatting with a manager the other day and somehow, near the end of the conversation it whips around from being a general get to know you to we should hang out. Cool, that sounds like fun, I like hanging with people from the office sometimes. It can be a good bonding experience, some face time with the boss is always a good thing. But then he says WE (meaning just he and I) can get some dinner, dancing... Umm.... AWKWARD! My dilemma is I don't date people I work with EVER, much less someone with the position to fire me. That rule has never let me down and I'm not about to start breaking it now. How do I...what's the protocol for turning down or ditching a date with a supervisor gently??? Truthfully it's making me mad that this asshat asked at all, putting me in a ****ed up position. I take work super seriously and don't like people screwing with my money or trying to bamboozle me with their personal crap! I'm sensitive to the fact that it is the holiday seasonand people get desperate but WTF????
It's Christmas so why not treat yourself to a nice ring. It doesn't have to be expensive, it just has to LOOK expensive.

Wear it to work. Show it to him.

Gush. A LOT!

"Squeee! My boyfriend just bought me an engagement ring! Isn't it beautiful?!"

Problem solved.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:23 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,776,785 times
OMG, I LOVE your answer!!!

Old 12-24-2012, 07:18 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,872 times
Normally if it was just a coworker or something, I would just say go hang out, but supervisors should not date subordinates, completely uncalled for.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:31 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It's Christmas so why not treat yourself to a nice ring. It doesn't have to be expensive, it just has to LOOK expensive.

Wear it to work. Show it to him.

Gush. A LOT!

"Squeee! My boyfriend just bought me an engagement ring! Isn't it beautiful?!"

Problem solved.
That is an epic response... and if a woman did that to me I'd move on down the road.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:47 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
Ask him for advice about a guy you have a crush on and are absolutely head over heels for. That usually helps me dash the hopes of any unwanteds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment