Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 01:32 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
We have enough money to live comfortably for the rest of our lives but I still work. My husband retires next summer and I need a way to escape. I've never had him around 24/7 forever and I don't know if I can handle that. He is the love of my life but all this togetherness scares the crap out of me. I think I may become a bigger workaholic after he retires.
Many hypothetically deal with questions like, "If you won the lottery; ... or didn't have to work" would you? But, the real truth is probably more evident among those who could retire, but, don't. IMO most people 'work to live' and would opt-out if the opportunity presented itself. But, there are some who 'live to work' or have other reasons, such as yours, for rejecting the opportunity and 'working ... on and on' - Some, for example, have no other interests, hobbies or friends beyond work and are, therefore, afraid to stop working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 01:38 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,458 times
I would still do something, probably part time, just to stay busy. It certainly would not be this job that I have now though.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:20 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
One word: no!
Two words: He11 no!

I'm constantly telling friends I don't want to work. They laugh and chuckle and say you don't mean that.
I say: I know exactly what I said: I don't want to work.
Most people IF they were honest would say they don't want to work either. Some people say they like their job.
I like mine too IF -- IF I HAVE to work, then that's what I want to do.
But I don't like working MORE THAN .....NOT working!

Let me ever have enough money to NOT work....and see how quick I give my notice: BYE!

Old 12-24-2012, 05:08 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,985 times
Sounds like Office Space;

Old 12-24-2012, 05:40 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
Work any kind of 9-5 job? HELL NO.

I'd probably volunteer on a part time basis somewhere. I have a neighbor who is retired and he goes on mission trips with his church. He has also been helping out in the Northeast with disaster recovery efforts. I'd do something like that, but not a regular job.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:41 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
Of course not.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:44 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
I chose a career that I enjoyed, but also accepted it probably would never make me rich, or even necessarily well off by many's standards. That is to say, if I wanted a career I enjoyed, I would have to work harder to secure a sound financial future than some others, but I would never go hungry. If I didn't need the money, I'd still seek part time employment. I just couldn't sit around and do nothing.

At any rate, I would totally pick something I loved over a job I didn't like that paid better. I've turned down great paying opportunities and took relatively decent paying ones that I would enjoy more. Don't regret it at all. To me, all the extra BS isn't worth a marginally higher paycheck (and the higher tax bracket). As long as I can pull 40K-50K, I'm pretty content. Contrary to what many seem to believe, that is not chump change. Talk to any business owner...

Old 12-24-2012, 09:13 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
In this economy, no I wouldn't work. I'd let someone who needs it have the job.

I would probably find a worthy place to volunteer my time regularly, though.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:50 PM

7 posts, read 7,333 times
If I didn't need the money, I wouldn't be "working" per say, but some of my hobbys are not work free, but I would be spending all the time I could doing the things I enjoy...

Gardening (food, not flowers) gold and gemsone hunting, beach combing, maybe some crafts, working on old cars, RVs, camping, scuba diving, metal detecting and exploring

all of which I hope to spend more time on than I have in recent years...

Old 12-24-2012, 09:57 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,255 times
I'm exactly where I want to be in life right now.

The only thing that I would do would move closer to a city that emphasized partying. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment