Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 09:50 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,675,357 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here moved to a different country for work before? Was it difficult to find a job in your field?

I'm not ready to leave my current job and/or city, but I always have an eye toward the future. One of my life dreams is to live and work in another country, preferably outside North America. But I'm also not interested in one of those "language-teaching" jobs...I'd actually want to find something in my field. But I hear it's especially tough for Americans to find full-time work overseas, even more so if you aren't already over there for school.

I don't have a specific country or job in mind yet so I'm not really asking for advice about that...just curious to know if there's anyone here who's done it and how they fared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 11:04 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,705,586 times
Long ago I worked in the UK under the table, then married a Brit and got a National Insurance number (green card) an was able to work in my profession.

More recently I worked for the UN and lived overseas for awhile. I was offered the job first and they relocated me to Europe. Might do that again one day.

A career in international development or international finance opens a lot of positions overseas. Also if you are gifted with languages.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:24 AM
YAZ

7,705 posts, read 14,074,520 times
I worked for a Japanese auto supplier in Michigan for some years; took a promotion and transfer to Yokohama.

I was supposed to be there 2 years, but a business restucturing sent me "home" much sooner.

I wish things wouldn't have changed like they did 'cuz that was one of the coolest experiences that I've had.

I'd do it again.......

Old 12-27-2012, 01:18 AM

432 posts, read 1,227,594 times
It depends on the country. I got married and moved to the U.K. The first job was a waitress as I had a young child so had to work nights and I think I was chosen cause I was so polite. Didn't like the job mainly because the hours. My experience was in Security management but found employers didn't want a Women in a Man's job. Went into Quality for a foam/fiber manufacturer and it was great. After 4 years in the UK we moved to Australia. I've had 3 different jobs here, the most recent has been a government job doing clerical/customer service role and still here after 10 years. Definately need to know the language AND the countries customs if going to a non english speaking country. Sell yourself but still keep it low key so you won't offend anyone. Good luck!
Its a great experience.

Last edited by back2M; 12-27-2012 at 01:19 AM.. Reason: spelling correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment