Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 08:20 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
The song that everyone sings before they get fired for the FIRST time. Memorize this: NOBODY IS INDISPENSABLE, EVERYBODY IS REPLACEABLE. Right up to the top of the food chain.
For sure and undoubtedly. Even people at the top of the food chain. JP Morgan Chase fired 3 of its top dogs in May 2012. I am sure they too thought they were the Titans who could not fall. The F* n masters of the universe.

Drew first to go in JPMorgan Chase purge - NYPOST.com

(I don't think guy up here on this thread knows a ding about corporate organizational politics.)

Old 01-02-2013, 08:25 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikoBellic View Post
Why would a dealership lay off somebody who sells 20 cars a month and gets fantastic customer service ratings on surveys?

My first 6 months, I'm at 99.7% for customer satisfaction. That's the biggest part of the job
I never said anything about getting laid off. I said getting fired. There's a difference. If you work in an "at will" state, they can fire you whenever the spirit moves them for whatever lame reason they choose. If they want you out bad enough, they'll find a way to do it. I don't care if you can walk on water, the time will come when you'll pi** someone off or hijack someone's sale and then guess what will happen? You can and will get thrown under the bus to save someone's hide. Believe it!

Old 01-02-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
How does this relate to me?

Companies don't fire successful salesmen. Why would you lay off somebody who is clearly a huge asset?
Yes, they do.

.....so young and so naive.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 AM

WOW, I'm just speechless right now. Reality is going to hit you like a ton of bricks.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:45 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
LOL! The scary part is that I think this guy is for real, not an Internet troll.

If you want true security, you need to work for yourself. And even that is iffy, depending on what industry you are in. Car salesmen don't have the most secure positions out there... not by a long shot.

Make sure you're putting some of your "big" salary away, just in case you need it some day. You probably will.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 AM

Default !

Quote:
Mark Twain - "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."
Ambition is a great thing to have. We've all had it and hopefully for most of us, including myself (even at my age!), we still have a certain amount of ambition. Reality is light years different from ambition. Reality is the knowledge that you can be terminated from your job at any given moment.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:56 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
How the hell do people survive on that sort of money?

They don't act like children and buy a bunch of crap they don't need.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post

Meanwhile, people are complaining about a measly 4.6% increase in the tax rate of all income over $400,000....
Measly?

Half the stuff on your list was a bunch of crap that people have become spoiled into believing they NEED in order to survive...gimme a break already. Smart phone bill? Laptops? LOL!

Old 01-02-2013, 09:02 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
LOL! The scary part is that I think this guy is for real, not an Internet troll.

If you want true security, you need to work for yourself. And even that is iffy, depending on what industry you are in. Car salesmen don't have the most secure positions out there... not by a long shot.

Make sure you're putting some of your "big" salary away, just in case you need it some day. You probably will.
Car salesmen are a dime a dozen...especially in big cities. Used cars, new cars, whatever. They get their 15 minutes of fame with their temporarily inflated income. Seriously?? Real estate is a bigger game. Like I said before, luxury r.e. especially. He said it was "too much work". So maybe his ethic really isn't that great. They would eat him up alive in real estate.

BTW, all salespeople inflate their income. ALL.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:05 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
I plan to go into auto sales to tide me over and scrape by if I'm ever without a job as an engineer for a short stretch of time. I formulated this plan because when buying a car I saw exactly how easy it was for salesmen to get hired. These kids were trying to sell me cars who had been on the job like one week. They had no power or authority. Their only play was "Buy from me just because..." Some of them were really nice kids. I felt bad for them.

I figure I can do better than them and maybe make $18/hour.

Now, every blue haired grandmother has the invoice price for every car, so auto sales ain't what it used to be. You can't hijack people anymore. Dealerships try to move volume. At least, it makes the job less morally questionable.

You actually get a lot more $ for selling a used car than a new car. I actually started a thread about it.

For those unemployed who need a job ... any job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment