Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 12:14 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Median income falls while poverty rate edged lower - Sep. 12, 2012
Where are you getting the $37K number? That is about 1/4 below the latest figure?
Median and average are two different things. The median is what is right in the middle; average is what you get when you add all of the figures up and divide by the number of figures you put in. Median gives a more accurate depiction than average. Averages are affected by extremes.

$37k for a single person in the South allows for very comfortable living.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:15 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
My question to the op would be... How are you going to survive with your expenses if that sales job disappeared?

Me personally, I've done quite well on 40-50K. Difference is I don't eat steak every night and I only own 1 car, and take care of all the maintenance myself. Simpler tastes and a simpler lifestyle. As I've saved money over the years, I've put away a large chunk in savings and investments. So, on top of my income, which you claim would put me in the poorhouse, I collect dividends and other capital gains. And I didn't always make what I make now. When I was younger, I lived with roommates, drove older vehicles, got part time jobs, etc. My primary focus was always on saving money for the future, so I wouldn't have to worry about money.

Surprisingly, you and I save about the same amount of money every month

2,533 posts, read 4,603,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikoBellic View Post
66K is reasonable. I could live on that too - although I probably wouldn't have a whole lot in savings
Best year I ever had in FL was $39k doing the exact same job. Economy is just a bit better out of here. Houses cost like 4 times as much but as far as rent goes I'm paying the same.

No interest in buying a house right now... going to continue to work and save.

2,043 posts, read 5,523,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargamer6 View Post
You're a car salesman. Have fun if the market tanks again.
Don't they work on commission only? Like realtors.....

Old 01-01-2013, 12:22 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
It's a 1% troll, people, don't invest so much in trying to prove a point. He's here to brag. It's that "I don't understand how you people are such losers..." that's REALLY what he's trying to say...
I had to rep you for this...

I don't know how I can go on with my life... I grossed 66k in 2012, my car JUST HIT 100k miles (100,450 as of today) and I'm STILL PAYING ON IT! $200 per month and I still owe $2800! It's a 2006 Chrysler!

Best car I've ever owned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
It's very simple: We don't blow $500 a month for a car payment, or $1100 on housing.

It sounds as if you're extremely out of touch with the reality of others.
My car payment is $200 and my studio apt rent is $600!

Imagine that! I'm such a loser but still had to rep you too!

Old 01-01-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
the car market is nowhere near as volatile as the real estate market. People can keep a house forever, you can't keep a car (especially an american car) past 150-200K miles in most cases

besides, I can sell anything. I don't plan on selling cars forever. I would like to get into pharmaceutical seals or something similar
Yes, but there is nothing saying people will buy a new car, especially when a used one can cost under 50% the price. Bargain hunters like me are always taking a peek at more affordable options.

In my experience, pharmaceutical salesman usually have some form of medical or hard science background. Not saying you couldn't transition, but it might be a challenge.

One thing about sales... It doesn't pay so well when people aren't buying... I'd be more focused on saving if I were in your position.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:23 PM

I am just getting a seriously good laugh. I've interacted with some seriously rich folk in the not so distant past, at Board Meetings. NONE of them brag about their net worth or what they own, or who they know. None brag, and most are polite, charismatic and not arrogant.The proof is in the pudding. Their net worth is an established fact and what properties they own in the Hamptons as well. This is the creme, dear friends. Anybody who comes on here feigning being baffled, or "bemused" at what he perceives as "the little guy's retarded frugality." With pictures of cars, stories of bodybuilding, fast living... Aah well....I am laughing..he's only 23? OOOhhhh.. OK. Now I see.

Good laugh....

Old 01-01-2013, 12:29 PM

Real sales? You want to throw your weight around?
I say sell luxury homes. Or auction off high net worth estates for Christie's or Sotheby's Auction. Then come on here and brag how you auctioned off the estate of the late Brooke Astor.

Then, I'd say yes, "you know some rich people." .....Gatsby...

Old 01-01-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
If you earn 40-50K at a job + dividends and capital gains, you're making a hell of a lot more than 40-50K overall in terms of income
I don't count my capital gains as my traditional income. Since I often times buy and sell throughout the year, the earnings vary every year. I made a killing by buying at the bottom of the recession, but I'm not making much now since I am holding more cash until I can tell what's going on with the market.

And I wasn't always making what I make now. I made 30K when I was 18, about 32K when I was 19, and I might have made 17K when I was 20, due to college attendance and part time work. Being that I started working at 16, I have had a solid decade of time to save money. If I was jumping straight into the job market today, my opinion would likely be much different.

I saved money every year and built up savings and investments which help greatly today. Problem many folks my age have is they lost a decade of working years that they could have been working/saving/investing.

A couple things to think about... Taxes are a lot lower when you're making less than 40K. I had no trouble saving. Another problem... Many people try to live an 80K lifestyle on 40K. Seems to be the American way... That is the reason many struggle IMO. Admittedly, having children at that income bracket around here would strain most people's budgets and make saving a challenge. Thankfully, I don't have any, and wouldn't plan on having any unless my income could support one.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:36 PM

You contradict yourself numerous times. Others have already pointed that out to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment