Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 04:06 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,585,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
Then, are you saying that Taco bell was not a perfect job, but you had free checks coming in and didn't feel the need to take those jobs?

Once again, you are judging those who needs or needed to collect longer than you did without knowing their personal circumstances when the same judgement can be cast upon your 45 weeks.
If you are on UI and offered a job making 50% less than what you made you are not required to take it... at least in the states I've lived in.

I was looking for work the entire time and no I'm not going back to a wage I was making in 1993.

You wouldn't either.

You have no idea what I was thinking at the time. I said I was prepared to take a lesser job... lesser as in $12-$13. I continued to look for that job and didn't find it. When it became obvious I wasn't going to find it in Florida I expanded my search nationwide and found one out here. I guess it's a close to "perfect" as can be given the pay raise...

When I said "holding out for the perfect job" what I was talking about is the people making $15... getting a $15 offer while laid off, and turning it down because they want $20. I never did that. I didn't get ANY OFFERS while laid off.

Find someone else to start an argument with now... I'm happily employed making a nice wage out here in Seattle... my UI stint is ancient history.

Good luck everyone.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:06 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,779,527 times
Quote:
Then, are you saying that Taco bell was not a perfect job, but you had free checks coming in and didn't feel the need to take those jobs?

Once again, you are judging those who needs to collect longer than you have without knowing their personal circumstances when the same judgement can be done with your 45 weeks.

Thank you, now that I;m employed it's no way in hell I;m going to criticize someone who has been out of work for more than a year because I know how lucky I am to be working and that there are not a lot of jobs to apply to right now.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:10 PM

398 posts, read 1,362,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
If you are on UI and offered a job making 50% less than what you made you are not required to take it... at least in the states I've lived in.

I was looking for work the entire time and no I'm not going back to a wage I was making in 1993.

You wouldn't either.

Find someone else to start an argument with now... I'm happily employed making a nice wage out here in Seattle... my UI stint is ancient history.

Good luck everyone.
Do you know how much those who are on unemployment were making and what jobs they are turning down?
I'm sure there are many collecting unemployment who earned 50% - 100% higher than your salary history so taking a $15 job for them is the financial equivalent of you turning down Taco Bell.

Besides, the jobs posted being turned down by "freeloaders" are mostly minimum wage jobs just like Taco Bell... and the jobs they are being criticized for not taking are the same ones you refuse to take yourself. Most threads by the unemployed target Walmart, Best Buy, Mcdonald's as offering salaries too low for them to give up unemployment benefits.... those are mostly minimum wage.

Do you even understand that your description of a unemployed freeloader matches what you did while on unemployment yourself?

Last edited by raymond2; 01-01-2013 at 04:22 PM..

Old 01-01-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:

Do you even understand that your description of a unemployed freeloader matches what you did while on unemployment yourself?
No it doesn't... Here it is again.

Quote:

When I said "holding out for the perfect job" what I was talking about is the people making $15... getting a $15 offer while laid off, and turning it down because they want $20.
THAT is my definition of a UI freeloader. I don't expect anyone to take a 50% cut to work at Taco Bell or anywhere else. I know I didn't. I do expect someone to take an equal paying job if offered. I would have but never got an offer.

And again....
Quote:
Find someone else to start an argument with now...
Seriously dude... because in the end I really don't care.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
No it doesn't... Here it is again.

THAT is my definion of a UI freeloader. I don't expect anyone to take a 50% cut to work at Taco Bell or anywhere else. I know I didn't. I do expect someone to take an equal paying job if offered. I would have but never got an offer.

And again....

Seriously dude... because in the end I really don't care.
Turning down minimum wage jobs is PRECISELY why the unemployed are being called freeloaders on this forum and many others by those who are being judgemental. Willingness to accept "Minimum wage" is what most of the whining and debates from the unemployed have been about because it pays less than their unemployment benefits... but don't forget those "whiners" who were rejected even when they applied for minimum wage jobs.

Read this again (edited):

Do you know how much those who are on unemployment were making and what jobs they are turning down?
There are many collecting unemployment who earned "50% - 100%" higher than $15 so taking a $15 job for them is the financial equivalent of you turning down Taco Bell. Those who turn down $15 an hour must have earned a lot more OR it must have been LESS than their unemployment benefits... otherwise who can really live on unemployment benefits?

Besides, the jobs posted being turned down by "freeloaders" are mostly minimum wage jobs just like Taco Bell... and the jobs they are being criticized for not taking are the same ones you refuse to take yourself. Most threads by the unemployed target Walmart, Best Buy, Mcdonald's as offering salaries too low for them to give up unemployment benefits.... those are mostly minimum wage.

Last edited by raymond2; 01-01-2013 at 04:39 PM..

Old 01-01-2013, 04:31 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,663,385 times
then why do you care?

Old 01-01-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Turning down minimum wage jobs is PRECISELY why the unemployed are being called freeloaders on this forum and many others by those who are being judgemental. Willingness to accept "Minimum wage" is what most of the whining and debates from the unemployed have been about.

Read this again:

There are many collecting unemployment who earned "50% - 100%" higher than $15 so taking a $15 job for them is the financial equivalent of you turning down Taco Bell.

It's a sick world we live in isn't it?

So I'm guessing you were laid off making $100k and you won't accept Taco Bell paying $7.25 because your UI pays $12? What state are you in? It might be less than that!!

I can't say as I blame you....

Call me a UI freeloader... whatever. I really don't care. I rode it out long enough to get a good job that had me grossing $66k in 2012... (more than enough for this single guy) Next year will be better with the $7 raise I just got.

As for 2012, I had $9,100 in federal income tax withheld... of which I am expecting a refund of about $750.

I hope Uncle Sam takes that $8,350 and gives it to another freeloader.

Thank you and Happy New Year! No reply necessary... I've moved on... you should too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
then why do you care?
In the end I really don't... I pay my taxes... let Uncle Sam do what he wants with it.

Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 01-01-2013 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Deleted unnecessary personal remark

Old 01-01-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
It's a sick world we live in isn't it?

So I'm guessing you were laid off making $100k and you won't accept Taco Bell paying $7.25 because your UI pays $12? What state are you in? It might be less than that!!
NJ pays $600 a week... and I ended up accepting a job that pays $1500 a week working for over a year now.
I have friends who are unemployed who are not lazy or freeloaders so I don't accept that stereotype as being the norm.

And like I said, why would anyone turn down $15 an hour unless their unemployment paid more?
So there are likely very few "freeloaders" turning down $15 an hour to collect the equivalent of $12 an hour.

Last edited by raymond2; 01-01-2013 at 04:54 PM..

Old 01-01-2013, 04:50 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,779,527 times
Quote:
NJ pays $600 a week... and I ended up accepting a job that pays $1500 a week working for over a year now.

And like I said, why would anyone turn down $15 an hour if their unemployment pays less? So very few freeloaders" turning down $15 an hour to collect $12 an hour.

The only reason I can think of is a long commute. Like say if the commute is close to 2 hours.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
NJ pays $600 a week.

And like I said, why would anyone turn down $15 an hour if their unemployment pays less? So very few freeloaders" turning down $15 an hour to collect $12 an hour.
WA pays close to $600 which is more than I can say for FL... probably the worst place in the USA for UI benefits. If anything were to happen down the road at least I'm in a better state.

Anyway, it's all proportional to your income and that was all I was trying to say. Rather not push this thread any further because I think it got blown of of proportion a bit.

I will not be responding again. Good luck out there everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment