Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 10:04 PM

77 posts, read 187,720 times

Advertisements

This article made me very sad but also made me really appreciate my job - http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/bu...anted=all&_r=0

This is basically a form of slavery - you have people on call 24/7 and you don't even compensate them outside of the pennies they get paid for 15-20 hours a week. How are companies able to get away wtih this?

I think companies need to be forced to have a certain percentage of workers be full time and 8 dollar minimum wage is a joke - minimum wage should be about 10-12 bucks an hour

Old 01-02-2013, 10:13 PM

893 posts, read 1,324,573 times
No one is forcing them to apply there. Cheap china goods being sold to Americans at 10x the price of production, and workers not earning a decent wage. No new story here, nothing will change until people demand a change.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:29 PM

97 posts, read 320,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikoBellic View Post
minimum wage should be about 10-12 bucks an hour
Should be, until you realize that if that happened, everything would go up in price until it's just like when minimum wage workers got paid the 8. The real tragedy is how far the true purchasing power of minimum wage has gone down over the years due to inflation. As an example, in 1964 the minimum wage was $1.25, and an ounce of Silver was $1.30. A minimum wage employee grossed 96% of an ounce of Silver in an hour. Today, the Federal Minimum Wage is actually $7.25, but I'll use your 8 figure for this next one. 8 dollars an hour and the price of Silver is $31 an ounce right now. That $8 an hour worker today barely makes 1/4 of what his minimum wage counterpart in 1964 did when priced in Silver. In fact, to have the same Silver buying power as a 1964 minimum wage worker, you would need a $60,000 a year job.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:06 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
No one is forcing them to apply there. Cheap china goods being sold to Americans at 10x the price of production, and workers not earning a decent wage. No new story here, nothing will change until people demand a change.
Your attitude reminds me of myself in regard to the issue about allowing smokers in private public places like restaurants and bars. I was a strong opponent of any law that would ban smoking from public places. No, I'm not a smoker. No, I don't own any tobacco stock.

My logic was bars and restaurants were privately owned places and so the law shouldn't force those places to not allow smoking. One day I got into a discussion with a friend of mine on that. I presented my argument. He thought about it for a second and said one sentence to me. That one sentence took about 2 seconds for him to say, and it made me change my position.

Bars and restaurants are work places for some people.

You could always argue that if you don't like the smoking atmosphere you could always quit your job and work elsewhere. I've heard this argument many times. And frankly, it's total BS. For most people, it's not really a choice where they could work.

Same with retail. Most people who work in retail are there because they have no skills for something else. They have no choice. It's either retail or unemployment.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
But people keep voting against their own best interests.

Who protects employee rights? Not management, but unions.
Yet, people fight unions because of some bad actions and reputation, some deserved, some not.
Can unions be overhauled, sure.

But, who brought you the 40 hour work week? Benefits? Safety? The middle class?
Unions, that's who.

You support business owners over unions, this is what you get.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:10 AM

27,335 posts, read 27,387,014 times
I work in retail and THANK YoU for posting this article, I see Im not the only one who feels as I do about my job. However, 10 bucks an hour must apply to states where the cost f living is generally higher anyway, surely not here in Wisconsin, I make far less than that. No Im not at the job by choice, its lack of options here in a small town like this. You can commute for a decent job and believe me, I AM looking relentlessly.
I agree about the unions and am all for them. Some retailers are terrified of unions because they know the bennies that come with joining and they dont wanna bend to the employees' needs. Fact. What matters is what the higher ups benefit. Fact. Union 'families' pretty much look out for each other too, and sure you may have union dues but considering what they pay you, its worth it. Sure there are ups and downs about it, but more positives than negs, from what Ive been told.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:24 AM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
This article made me very sad but also made me really appreciate my job - http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/bu...anted=all&_r=0

This is basically a form of slavery - you have people on call 24/7 and you don't even compensate them outside of the pennies they get paid for 15-20 hours a week. How are companies able to get away wtih this?

I think companies need to be forced to have a certain percentage of workers be full time and 8 dollar minimum wage is a joke - minimum wage should be about 10-12 bucks an hour
Working is slavery?

This is the state of education in this country today.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:38 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:

Open a business and pay your employees what you want.

You won't because you can't. If you could, you would't last three months.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:46 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc138 View Post
Should be, until you realize that if that happened, everything would go up in price until it's just like when minimum wage workers got paid the 8. The real tragedy is how far the true purchasing power of minimum wage has gone down over the years due to inflation. As an example, in 1964 the minimum wage was $1.25, and an ounce of Silver was $1.30. A minimum wage employee grossed 96% of an ounce of Silver in an hour. Today, the Federal Minimum Wage is actually $7.25, but I'll use your 8 figure for this next one. 8 dollars an hour and the price of Silver is $31 an ounce right now. That $8 an hour worker today barely makes 1/4 of what his minimum wage counterpart in 1964 did when priced in Silver. In fact, to have the same Silver buying power as a 1964 minimum wage worker, you would need a $60,000 a year job.
Minimum wage is $10.00 an hour in San Francisco, so yeah, it CAN be done.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:25 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Take the bottom of the barrel for labor costs, fast food, where labor is typically 25% of revenue.
Minimum wage increases ~38% from $7.25 to $10.00. Most fast food pays more than minimum wage, but assume that all wages increase by a similar proportion. Food businesses, which have less labor flexibility than retail, top out around 35%.
So, 0.25 * 1.38 / .35 = .986
Yeah, even fast food could absorb a 38% increase in costs without a price increase. Quite simply, minimum wage jobs are typically low labor percentage businesses; their costs are from transportation and product, not labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment