Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:35 PM

23 posts, read 67,830 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I had ADHD or not (never diagnosed with it but I have some of the symptoms), but I've never been able to stick to one career without getting bored, unmotivated, and wondering what else is out there. So far, I've done freelance copywriting, freelance social media management, freelance book editing, and am now learning about freelance photography.

I'm starting to wonder if I should just do them all (or at least a few) so I can keep my days varied and cease this endless struggle with restlessness and dissatisfaction, but I don't know if that's a crazy/nearly impossible idea to make into a reality.

Anyone done it? If so...Do you have different websites for different services? Multiple business cards? How does the legal/business side of things work for you?

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 01:09 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,568,935 times
Good god! My one and only business keeps me busy as it is. Sometimes, I have to work late into the night to finish all the paperwork that comes with it. Having multiple freelance businesses? I'd probably work myself to death.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:13 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,418,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodybag View Post
I'm starting to wonder if I should just do them all (or at least a few) so I can keep my days varied and cease this endless struggle with restlessness and dissatisfaction, but I don't know if that's a crazy/nearly impossible idea to make into a reality.
It's neither crazy nor impossible and all depends on the time you have at your disposal to successfully run more than one enterprise. No reason why you can't focus on two and then see how it goes from there.

And don't be self-diagnosing yourself with ADHD just because you haven't yet found a fulfilling niche in just one area!

Old 01-03-2013, 12:34 PM

Thanks, guys.

Oh, and I'm not saying I have ADHD just 'cause of this predicament. I have other symptoms too, so.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,418,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodybag View Post
Thanks, guys.

Oh, and I'm not saying I have ADHD just 'cause of this predicament. I have other symptoms too, so.
Then hie thee to a qualified physician and go through all the tests but don't blithely throw out a self-diagnosis based on some basic symptomatology you read about on the internet!

Old 01-03-2013, 04:31 PM

Yeah, yeah, that's not really the point of the thread though...I'm just saying that as context for WHY I might want to run multiple freelance businesses.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:51 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,867,325 times
We have multiple roles and identities in our personal life (i.e. wife, mother, daughter, etc) so why not in our professional lives, too? I've done major career changes every couple of years for decades. I've worked two entirely different jobs for years. For me, the key has always been flexibility. I do most of my stuff from home. I say it's a good thing--as long as you have some fun time built in there, too.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,077,446 times
Absolutely you can do this! What would be ideal is simply to set up all your "businesses" under one heading, if possible. For example, let's say you do web design . . . but you can also do computer repair. And set up networks. You could set it up as one business name, and simply have the different areas of your business/services listed under that one business name for tax purposes and a checking account/lines of credit.

You could set up multiple websites that emphasis only one aspect of the business and perhaps redirect to the one main website (if that works in your situation).

For example, let's say you set up the "umbrella" company as "Goody's Professional Services" . . . and then your website design "company" as Goody's Website Design . . . and your computer repair business as Goody's Computer Repair . . .(and have all payments made to Goody's Professional Services).

Go for it! It is very wise to create multiple streams of income!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:14 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,085,359 times
Yes

Emergency Management, Safety, flood adjusting

No website

"Emergency services consultant" on my card.

Insurance can be difficult however...

Old 01-04-2013, 04:27 AM

21 posts, read 51,252 times
If you want to be successful then you have to concentrate on one thing at a time. If you try all these different things together then you will not be successful. You need to be expert on one thing, than you can move to another one. I don't think you have ADHD because this is normal as many people cannot stick to just one career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment