Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 05:02 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,097,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
I think that it's a little petty of them to care so much.
I thought it was common knowledge and common sense that your current employer shouldn't know that you are looking for a new job. It sends a negative message. It means you aren't content there and would rather be working someplace else. It means if you don't find a new job and have to stay, they'll know you don't really want to be there. It means they could start looking for a reason to let you go because they know you don't want to be there anyway. It means they could pass you over for a promotion because they expect you'll leave when you get the chance anyway. I'm baffled that none of this ever occurred to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 05:16 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,893,409 times
Quote:
Why does looking for a new job while currently employed put you at risk of losing your current job?

Why should/would a current employer care that a worker is seeking a new job? Is it costing the company any harm?

Why wouldn't it if they know you no longer want to be there? Once they know that they will look to speed up your departure from the company.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:47 PM

280 posts, read 684,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I thought it was common knowledge and common sense that your current employer shouldn't know that you are looking for a new job. It sends a negative message. It means you aren't content there and would rather be working someplace else. It means if you don't find a new job and have to stay, they'll know you don't really want to be there. It means they could start looking for a reason to let you go because they know you don't want to be there anyway. It means they could pass you over for a promotion because they expect you'll leave when you get the chance anyway. I'm baffled that none of this ever occurred to you.

It did occur to me, and I wouldn't inform an employer of an impending departure until the right time.

I asked why it mattered to employers so much; I'm grateful to the forumites who answered that question. Thanks.

Last edited by VGravitas; 01-05-2013 at 09:00 PM..

Old 01-05-2013, 08:56 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,893,409 times
Quote:
It did occur to me, and I wouldn't inform an employer of an impending departure until the right time.

I asked why it mattered to employers so much; I'm grateful to the forum users who answered that question. Thanks.

If you owned a company would want to keep paying someone who was not happy working at your organization?

Old 01-05-2013, 09:01 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,097,438 times
Quote:

I asked why it mattered to employers so much; I'm grateful to the forum users who answered that question. Thanks.
I did answer that question. You're welcome. Since you apparently didn't understand, I'll say it a different way.

Why does looking for a new job while currently employed put you at risk of losing your current job? Because they will know you aren't content, aren't happy, and may not be doing your best work as a result. It my benefit the employer to let you go on their own time, rather than wait for you to quit.

Why should/would a current employer care that a worker is seeking a new job? Is it costing the company any harm?

It isn't that they "care." It is that it appears that you don't. It sends the message that you don't care about your current job, you don't care about your boss' opinion of you, that the job they are providing you isn't good enough. Like I said, it sends a negative message. I, personally, don't want to send my boss a negative message.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:36 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,577,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If you owned a company would want to keep paying someone who was not happy working at your organization?

Maybe he/she is not unhappy but simply wants a bigger paycheck.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:02 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,279,386 times
Quote:
I think that it's a little petty of them to care so much.
You might not think your employer invested that much money in you, but I guarantee you they see it another way. And the shorter time you've been with them, the less opportunity they've had to amortize that cost.

They paid an HR department and/or an agency/headhunter to find you and hiring paperwork costs them money. If they have to have a training program for new employees, that cost them a lot — even clerks making $10 an hour have to be trained to company protocol. If a person was assigned to show you the ropes, s/he was not contributing fully while distracted by that assignment. Most people are not up to speed in a new job for months, so the employer sees that as them getting part-time work for full-time pay. If you worked for less than a year, yet got in your year's vacation before you quit, they see that as a loss to them.

Employers are in business to make money. They calculate all these costs and whether or not you think they should feel pain when they lose money, they do. Put yourself in the boss's shoes. Wouldn't you question the value of any employee who couldn't understand your bottom line?

Old 01-06-2013, 05:10 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,562,940 times
On the other hand, not all businesses (especially small ones) have advancement opportunities. Over many years and two small businesses I was more than happy to help many employees move on to bigger and better things. I was sorry to lose them but several of them actually helped me find a replacement for them! Just another side to the discussion ...

Old 01-06-2013, 05:03 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,293,425 times
Default Absolutely...

[quote=VGravitas;27631991] I don't understand the analogy.Most states have at-will employment laws, which means that either party (employer or worker) may terminate employment at any time and for any reason.

Employers fire and lay off people all the time for whatever reason they want. In fact, I don't think that many employers would be averse to letting an employee go if they found a better person. Why shouldn't employees also be able to do the same?

My duty as a worker is to perform to the best of my ability--not to be eternally loyal to a company that could dump me for any reason at any time.

At the end of the day, you have to look after yourself because no one else is.[/quote]

This^

Old 01-06-2013, 05:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,059,670 times
I'm concerned that you (OP) would not we aware of why an employer would care. An employer invested time and money into you and your job and now they have to do that all over again. If you're going to leave (and they know), it's in their best interest to make sure they get someone else doing your job ASAP.

Whether you tell your employer is up to you and depends on your relationship. Many times it's best to keep it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment