Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 04:36 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by free106 View Post
Exactly! The economy sucks and employers feel that they do what they want!

I can;t even imagine seeing the company on the caller id when the phone is ringing calling to tell me they hired someone. Plus you would think that the phone would be uncomfortable for them which is why I;m shocked they called.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 04:48 PM

54 posts, read 162,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I can;t even imagine seeing the company on the caller id when the phone is ringing calling to tell me they hired someone. Plus you would think that the phone would be uncomfortable for them which is why I;m shocked they called.
Yup. If were him I would not haved placed that call. Call it unprofessional, crazy or rude. I would have sent an email if I were him. I mean what if I answered and lost it on him, lol.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:25 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Yup. If were him I would not haved placed that call. Call it unprofessional, crazy or rude. I would have sent an email if I were him. I mean what if I answered and lost it on him, lol.
Gee, I'm still amazed that people apparently can't handle a personal phone call of bad news. I actually told one candidate (that I wasn't hiring) in person. (egad - can you imagine the horror?!?!?)

Anyway, your posts have led me to think I should have a final test for my finalist candidates. I will call the person I want to hire and explain to them that they did not get the job and why. If they act maturely and ask questions (What can I do to improve? What could I have done differently? Will you consider me for future opportunities?), I'll let them know they actually DO have the job.

If they act sallow and start brooding, or worse yet, have someone "lose it on me", I will know they are not the person I want to hire.

Life (and business) is about ups and downs. You'll get bad news all of the time. I need to hire people who can accept it and act professionally and move on to the next task.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Gee, I'm still amazed that people apparently can't handle a personal phone call of bad news. I actually told one candidate (that I wasn't hiring) in person. (egad - can you imagine the horror?!?!?)

Anyway, your posts have led me to think I should have a final test for my finalist candidates. I will call the person I want to hire and explain to them that they did not get the job and why. If they act maturely and ask questions (What can I do to improve? What could I have done differently? Will you consider me for future opportunities?), I'll let them know they actually DO have the job.

If they act sallow and start brooding, or worse yet, have someone "lose it on me", I will know they are not the person I want to hire.

Life (and business) is about ups and downs. You'll get bad news all of the time. I need to hire people who can accept it and act professionally and move on to the next task.
People like you are annoying. Coming from a mature and a professional person.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
People like you are annoying. Coming from a mature and a professional person.
People like me have had continuous and progressive employment since they were 14 years old. Can you say the same?

Old 01-10-2013, 06:53 PM
FBJ

Quote:

Why can't you just send a email?

Old 01-10-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Why can't you just send a email?
I certainly could send an email; but I honestly feel that the people I talked to personally appreciated the phone call. This isn't a 20 second call. I take time to explain why they were finalists and why someone else was selected. We have a conversation, and they ask questions.

Have you ever not been selected for a job where you wondered, "Wow, I thought I was perfect for the job, and the interview went so well. I can't understand why I didn't get the job?" I have, and would have welcomed a personal phone call.

If people can't handle bad news through a phone call, that's really their problem, not mine.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:08 PM

Be careful how you talk.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:15 PM
FBJ

Quote:
I certainly could send an email; but I honestly feel that the people I talked to personally appreciated the phone call. This isn't a 20 second call. I take time to explain why they were finalists and why someone else was selected. We have a conversation, and they ask questions.

Have you ever not been selected for a job where you wondered, "Wow, I thought I was perfect for the job, and the interview went so well. I can't understand why I didn't get the job?" I have, and would have welcomed a personal phone call.

If people can't handle bad news through a phone call, that's really their problem, not mine.

Yes and I just said to myself..........."I was pleased at how I conducted myself during the interview and even though I didn't get the job it's not necessarily a bad thing since the company can't hire everyone"

Old 01-10-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Yes and I just said to myself..........."I was pleased at how I conducted myself during the interview and even though I didn't get the job it's not necessarily a bad thing since the company can't hire everyone"
ok, that's fine. And I understand how people may not prefer the phone call; but to react to a phone call like someone just shot their dog is actually immature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment