Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 01:18 PM

701 posts, read 1,690,634 times

Advertisements

If you get the offer for the better job, I would write something pleasant in your resignation letter to your current employer like the following:

"I'd like to thank you for the opportunity you gave me at this company. I will do what I can in my remaining time here to smooth the transition of my projects to other employees."

Or something like that. This way you're giving proper notice and leaving a good impression should you ever need a reference or want another job in that department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 02:26 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Do you know someone who could step in and fill your position? It is a dog eat dog world, but the dog that stops to lick butt sometimes goes farther.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:20 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Whatever you do, DO NOT TELL THEM WHERE YOUR NEW JOB IS or what field it's in.

Just say you are leaving due to "relocation" or some crap.
Ha. That would be difficult considering LinkedIn and the fact the new job would be one town over and in a position that would deal with people in my current position. Everything is interconnected. They are going to know where I'm leaving for even if I don't tell them.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:10 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Ha. That would be difficult considering LinkedIn and the fact the new job would be one town over and in a position that would deal with people in my current position. Everything is interconnected. They are going to know where I'm leaving for even if I don't tell them.
You could always remove yourself from linkedin, or simply don't update it with your current job.

Sounds like you don't mind having that info out there and there is nothing wrong with that. But you DO have full control with what's in linkedin. It only gets updated if you choose to update it.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:06 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Simply put you can't have everything. There is every possibility no matter what you say that it will **** off your current job. Such is life. They will get over it. So will you.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:40 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
It's like breaking up with someone ... "It's not you, it's -me-" ... lol

Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Default hmmm..

Quote:
I started a position with my current employer about months ago knowing that I was going to be looking for something in my preferred career field soon, but I needed SOMETHING to pay the bills, and it was an easy job for me to get (and not a bad one either, just not what I want to do). I am in the final interview phase with another company and could have an offer by the end of next week. The problem is this: there are two people in my current role, and the other person just resigned a couple weeks ago and final day is the end of next week. Some of her projects have been transitioned over to me. So now they have the expectation I'll be taking over these projects that were her's yet I can't tell them yet that I might be leaving soon when it's not yet a sure thing.

Obviously this will leave my current employer in a tough situation with BOTH people in my position leaving. I hold no ill will towards my current employer, but if I get the offer next week I HAVE to take it as it's a much better career opportunity in the field I really want to be in (plus better pay).

How do I tell them I'm leaving in a way that is tactful and without making my boss and fellow co-workers angry?
you haven't landed the other job, yet, so I would just carry-on as usual until it happens than cross
that bridge when you get to it...

Old 01-18-2013, 04:46 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
you haven't landed the other job, yet, so I would just carry-on as usual until it happens than cross
that bridge when you get to it...
That's the plan.

BTW, I had my final interview on Monday and I thought it went really well. Now I'm just sitting around waiting to get a call, hopefully with an offer. Not sure if it's good or bad that I haven't heard from them since Monday. Hopefully just checking references and doing background check, etc?

Old 01-18-2013, 04:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
That's the plan.

BTW, I had my final interview on Monday and I thought it went really well. Now I'm just sitting around waiting to get a call, hopefully with an offer. Not sure if it's good or bad that I haven't heard from them since Monday. Hopefully just checking references and doing background check, etc?

Background checks usually take around 7 to 10 business days.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:15 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Background checks usually take around 7 to 10 business days.
I can do a background check in a matter of minutes. It would take a few days if I had to hire a court runner if I found something that needed to be examined more closely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment