Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 05:29 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I can do a background check in a matter of minutes. It would take a few days if I had to hire a court runner if I found something that needed to be examined more closely.

Well for me it started on December 19th and ended on completed by December 28th
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 06:20 PM

560 posts, read 1,548,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
....I currently work for a government employer so layoffs, etc. are not quite so common as for a private employer. People tend to stay here for a while...
People don't leave a job because of layoffs only. The tendency (and wish) for everyone is to stay in one place, with one employer for life. However, sometimes the unexpected happens. For example, you could start the new job and your employer makes you sit very near a crazy person who bothers and disturbs you all day. This will infuriate and distract you. Or the nice manager who hired you leaves and you suddenly get a new Manager who is from hell and gives you a hard time. So when any of the above occurs, it will force you to leave again, even though you never planned to. Do you get what I am saying? The work environment (which is ever changing) is the most important. If the managers and co-workers are great, people will stay. If there is a crazy person in that group you can't deal with, you will be forced to leave.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:35 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
People don't leave a job because of layoffs only. The tendency (and wish) for everyone is to stay in one place, with one employer for life. However, sometimes the unexpected happens. For example, you could start the new job and your employer makes you sit very near a crazy person who bothers and disturbs you all day. This will infuriate and distract you. Or the nice manager who hired you leaves and you suddenly get a new Manager who is from hell and gives you a hard time. So when any of the above occurs, it will force you to leave again, even though you never planned to. Do you get what I am saying? The work environment (which is ever changing) is the most important. If the managers and co-workers are great, people will stay. If there is a crazy person in that group you can't deal with, you will be forced to leave.
Why would a crazy person bother someone? I find them entertaining.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:38 PM

560 posts, read 1,548,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Why would a crazy person bother someone? I find them entertaining.
The thing is people go to work to do a job, not to be entertained.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:11 AM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times
Well, yesterday I got an offer from Job B (the one with the second interview that went well). Yay! Still just negotiating compensation, but I'm expecting that later today we'll come to an agreement and I'll be ready to give my resignation letter to my current boss. I'm feeling better about it, actually. Like some others said - "It's just business." Have to do what's best for my family and career.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:24 AM

701 posts, read 1,690,634 times
Quote:
Well, yesterday I got an offer from Job B (the one with the second interview that went well). Yay! Still just negotiating compensation, but I'm expecting that later today we'll come to an agreement and I'll be ready to give my resignation letter to my current boss. I'm feeling better about it, actually. Like some others said - "It's just business." Have to do what's best for my family and career.
Congratulations! It's nice when you think an interview went well and it's confirmed with a job offer.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:44 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times
Thank-you. I made a counter-offer for what I REALLY wanted to be compensated and lo and behold they came through and gave me exactly what I wanted. Now THAT'S how as an employer you start off on the right foot. I should have known when my current (but soon to be former) employer decided to be a tightwad with me, giving me a bad taste in my mouth to begin with, that it wasn't going to work out. Live and learn.

I'm pumped to get started.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:24 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Give notice with grace, if they asked about the terms of your offer you could share that with them. Think about your successor, that person may be offered better terms as a result of your departure. There are some employers who have no idea what compensation is appropriate. On the other hand some employers want to pay as little as possible and do not consider the expense of turnover.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:03 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times
Quote:
Yep... I officially changed jobs on 1/14/13.

I started job B on 12/21/12 and took vacation from job A from 12/21 thru 1/13. I considered it a trial. If I didn't like job B I could go back to job A with no harm done.

I did like it... So I resigned job A on 1/14... After collecting 60 hours vacation, 32 hours holiday, a $400 monthly bonus and a $350 yearly clothing allowance.

Think they were mad? Hey... It's not personal. It's business. The 4% raise from job A didn't come close to the 35% increase job B offered.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:58 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Yep... I officially changed jobs on 1/14/13.

I started job B on 12/21/12 and took vacation from job A from 12/21 thru 1/13. I considered it a trial. If I didn't like job B I could go back to job A with no harm done.

I did like it... So I resigned job A on 1/14... After collecting 60 hours vacation, 32 hours holiday, a $400 monthly bonus and a $350 yearly clothing allowance.

Think they were mad? Hey... It's not personal. It's business. The 4% raise from job A didn't come close to the 35% increase job B offered.
You rock. These employers deserve it. how did you get hired for job B without them asking for references from job A? how did you conduct your confidential job search so job A doesn't find out?

Teach me how to do this. !!!!! I want to do what you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment