Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 05:02 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Do you have any knowledge of this? I had SEVERAL professors that had PHD's from for profit schools and I was attending a Non-Profit University..

Not all for profit schools are bad-if they are NLNAC accredited-that's all that matters in the world of nursing. Also, the NCLEX passing rates of graduates...
Yes. I've worked at various quality universities. If you got your PHD from a for-profit it meant you couldn't get into a non-profit program. That isn't who a quality university wants to hire to teach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 05:04 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Community colleges will. I had two professors with for-profit degrees. There really aren't that many college instructor/professor jobs for people who only have a masters at traditional, 4-year universities in the first place.
I'm sure a CC would. The 2 year RN programs have to take a huge hit soon so not sure how much longer that nursing teacher shortage will last. It probably is accurate at a university though.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:48 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times
I wager that unless/until the Nursing facualty gets paid as much as the Nurse (with the masters-i think nurses need a masters or DNP to teach at the college level) i don't see the shortage stopping. I assume that unless you really have a innate desire to teach, the money on the "working" side is too good to pass up.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:32 AM

273 posts, read 1,061,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Unless you're lucky to get a Mech Eng job straight from college, it's very tough to start a first Mech Eng job with no experience. I've looked at many Mech Eng job postings in Chicago and rarely do I see an entry level job posting. But job hunting and applying is so easy nowadays compared to when I graduated in 1992, when many companies didn't even have a company website or use email and job hunting involved newspapers and mailed and typed letters.

I'd say Mech Eng is not a good career to get into unless you are really smart and a top dog.

The Nursing crisis hit the Philippines bad; several nursing schools closed and Filipino nurses pay hospital to volunteer just to get work experience. The US also stopped importing cheap Filipino Nurse labor.
i was at the post office and saw an abandoned/lost resume for an RN on the desk. it was of someone from the phillipines. the man had good qualifications and had just passed. he put his picture on the resume as well, copying the labor traditions of the phillipines. i gave it to the clerk. she threw it out. i wonder how long he has been unemployed. the labor market for nursing was a farce people bought into, just like the IT dot com farce back in 2000. i always have believed in apprenticeship hard work and LUCK. i would never pay for an education. for me, it is all a scam. if you are talented, you will excel regardless. just find a passion and chase it. i love seeing students who have been pampered all their lives taking liberal arts degrees with ridiculous loans. i find that amusing. it's my version of reality tv in real life. why would you do that? i woudn't even pay for training in hard math and science which actually has a shot at employment, but english, art, photography, history, blah blah. like really?

note that most successful people like that woman who created spanx, steve jobs (college dropout like matt damon and bill gates), etc. etc. never needed formal training. they chased their passion and put in the work. besides a basic education through high school, you don't need it. what you need is cunning and street smarts in business. snoop dogg, 50 cent, all these rappers like jay z, etc. they used their cunning talent and skills to move ahead in life. college to me teaches people to say yes sir yes sir like a communist. it keeps you scared of life and makes you think life has structure. it doesn't.

yes i am a college graduate with a BA and MS so i am not jeering at something i could not achieve. and yes, i went to college for free. i was given tap and pell grants and then a scholarship. i just think parents and kids are stupid for pursuing liberal arts degrees.

oh and one more thing. people forget that they can die any day. they go for these long 10-15 year programs like MD residences etc. you have no idea what life will bring tomorrow. who will die, who will get sick, what will happen to you. study and work but also live. no one is promised tomorrow.

"life is what happens when you are busy planning"

Last edited by guest4; 01-31-2013 at 03:42 AM..

Old 01-31-2013, 10:41 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4 View Post

oh and one more thing. people forget that they can die any day. they go for these long 10-15 year programs like MD residences etc. you have no idea what life will bring tomorrow. who will die, who will get sick, what will happen to you. study and work but also live. no one is promised tomorrow.

"life is what happens when you are busy planning"
Some go into nursing as a calling... some are steered from the day they are born and others look at only the pay check.

In California, the Nursing shortage was very real... we did pay sign on and retention bonuses. The State also mandated nurse to patient ratios and RN are one of the few professions where most come under the labor law regarding overtime... interesting that many others such as Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, Architect are often exempt.

I rented a home to a woman with 2 boys... it was her dream to one day be a RN... she had always worked at the county hospital... started in housekeeping and then medical assistant, LVN and eventually earned her RN... took 18 years working and going to school... the tragedy was she died from cancer 18 months after she became an RN...

Old 01-31-2013, 05:50 PM

273 posts, read 1,061,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Some go into nursing as a calling... some are steered from the day they are born and others look at only the pay check.

In California, the Nursing shortage was very real... we did pay sign on and retention bonuses. The State also mandated nurse to patient ratios and RN are one of the few professions where most come under the labor law regarding overtime... interesting that many others such as Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, Architect are often exempt.

I rented a home to a woman with 2 boys... it was her dream to one day be a RN... she had always worked at the county hospital... started in housekeeping and then medical assistant, LVN and eventually earned her RN... took 18 years working and going to school... the tragedy was she died from cancer 18 months after she became an RN...
dying sucks

Old 01-31-2013, 06:15 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
There is plenty of work available if they didn't demand top dollar.We got nursing homes needing workers. Let them fill these jobs

Old 01-31-2013, 07:44 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
.... The 2 year RN programs have to take a huge hit soon so not sure how much longer that nursing teacher shortage will las t...
Not sure what you are referring to...

Old 01-31-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Why guess, usually they have a badge with their name and work title. And I do talk to nurses. I have yet to see a "medical assistant" taking blood pressure readings. As a matter of fact, I knew a bbw in nursing who had not a shred of personality of a nurse (should personality count for something in nursing?), moderate mental acuity and who had no problem landing a 45k+ nursing jobs 7 years ago at the times most people had trouble finding any kind job in Michigan. She had no trouble finding another job, and she was asked politely to leave on good terms at least twice (because of the lack of "personality"). BTW, nothing she did as a nurse couldn't be done by a person of street after 1 week of "training" or less.
and what, pray tell, is "... a shred of personality of a nurse...?" The "work title" on a badge doesn't necessarily mean that wearer is a nurse, but may be part of the "nursing department". Unless the letters RN are present on the badge after the name, don't assume. BTW a "medical assistant" American Association of Medical Assistants - AAMA is an integral part of many PCP offices, even in Michigan.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Like many things... much is routine until the worst happens... like when a patient codes....
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment