Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 08:32 PM

206 posts, read 269,174 times

Advertisements

I'm similar to your nephew in age and disposition. I have a good supply chain job, but I don't know that anyone's all that passionate about buying parts to support manufacturing, even if it does involve six/seven/eight figure contracts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 09:34 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
I would say he's doing just fine. What another poster said is true - not everyone is a type-A personality, and being ambitious is not necessarily a good trait. Not everyone is "passionate" about their work. Heck, he does not even work in a "throwaway" job. It could become a career if he meets the right people, and it certainly lends management experience to a resume.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:07 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Thanks for all the perspective.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:12 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I've been an accountant for the better part of a decade, and I have yet to meet an accountant who is really gung ho about his work. Most of my coworkers will readily admit that they are in accounting for the stability and pay. I frequently hear the "I live for the weekends" line at work. Decent pay and stability are to be cherished in this rotten economy, and that is what keeps me at my job. I enjoy the weekends, take an annual vacation and invest most of my paycheck so I can hopefully retire early. My career is simply a means to an end.
Nothing wrong with this attitude, of course in a perfect world everyone would be doing thier ideal/perfect job but if that where true then my band would be as big as the Beatles--jk

I think as long as you show up on time, put effort into your work, hard worker, get along with co workers etc... its perfectly fine if your job is simply a "means to an end", live for the weekends, puruse the passion on the side.

Perhaps at 22 he is still at the stage of "should I look for work that I truly want to do, is quite literally my dream career or do I pursue something immediate and more stable?"

Old 01-19-2013, 08:49 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,054,582 times
I'm over 10 years older that him, and I have no career direction. Not everyone has a "passion" about a career. Some people are content to just live their life.

It sounds like you are the type of person who had their life planned from age 2.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Old 01-19-2013, 12:10 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Quote:
It sounds like you are the type of person who had their life planned from age 2.

No not age two...but I did always want a "career." Even so, as a child/teenager, I went through having an interest in various careers...nurse and architect were two options I briefly thought about as a child.

I majored in neither field in college and am neither of those, now. But I am a white collar professional doing fairly well. (IMO)

At least if you had asked me I would have had an answer for "what do you want to be?"

Old 01-19-2013, 01:02 PM

657 posts, read 695,427 times
I will have to be frank and perhaps it will sound like a copout, but here is the scoop.

You see all the government deficit and spending? There is your issue.

First off, if corporations can make higher margins abroad, they will. How does that relate to deficits? Well, to deficit spend you have to borrow, which devalues the currency and destroys margins. So no, you cannot have your cake and eat it too. Should the gov get its house in order, margind would increase and companied will bring back the high paying jobs.

If not, than get ready to work in mcd with an mba. That's what will remain in the end. And not only that, our society becomes useless as skills are lost.

Degrees are useless when the government is out to do harm.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:07 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,933 times
He sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and is going in the right direction.

I'm 23 and just passed my first year of service with my first "big girl job" this past September. I've touched project management, accounting, and contracts compliance. My problem is that I don't particularly love/hate any one job over another. I'm looking to touch some HR next.

I don't look at it as a weakness that he isn't particularly gung-ho about anything. If he's anything like me, being flexible is also pretty good. I don't think I'll ever be particularly dead set in a job, because I enjoy so much about so many things. I have several fleeting hobbies and enjoy variety in my life.

He has a job and seems independent. That's adult enough.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:23 AM

21 posts, read 52,064 times
"I would like to suggest one thing, try to make your career in a field that interests you. Don't try to hide your passion or skills because they can help carve you better career. You can only enjoy your work if you take interest.
"

Old 01-21-2013, 07:45 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
Yes it is. The problem starts with parents who pack up a million extra activities for the kids to do through their school/formation years, getting them into everything, and not channelizing ONE thing they enjoy doing and keep the FOCUS on that.

My husband is such a person...he would "rather" do something else...but now he is stuck and can't anymore...I was directed in 1 direction growing up, and I am a career person, even if I switch my career path, I still view it and focus on it as a career, and not a passing fling job.

The main issue is that people don't get to do what they love to do for many reasons...starting with the above. It is confusing for a child to be doing "everything"...because the neighbor does, and not have the opportunity to focus on one thing he/she loves to do.
Once paying bills comes into place and you need the "any" job, it is VERY HARD to go back to doing what you love to do, and have a goal/focused career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Is it too much to expect a 22 year old to have drive and passion about career options?

I do the resumes for people in my family and I'm trying to help/counsel my 22-year-old nephew who has a BA in Psychology. (I'm not even going to get into what he's supposed to do with THAT degree)

Anyway, he graduated in 2011, and while he has been working as a franchise operator, hasn't done anything with his degree.

I'm asking him what he wants to do....he's vague. I have to pump and pump, throw out suggestions. He'll say I could do this, or I could do that. I'll ask what do you WANT to do? He as no PASSION about a career.

I'm trying to tell him there's a difference between a job and a career.

He's from a military family and his parents are pushing him in that direction. When I ask if that's what he WANTS, I get the old hesitation..."we'll that could be an option"...or "I plan to look into it."

Because of his business experience as a franchise operator (sort of like a general manager)...I asked to want to stay in the business world....."well, I could do that, too."

Once I do his resume, if I can get enough info out of him to even DO a resume, I'm done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment