Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 01:12 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I paid more than that in my part-time NJ resident taxes. What's your point?
My point is I'm fully aware that EUC is partially taxpayer funded.

I am of the opinion that 73 weeks (and prior to that 99 weeks) is far too long for people to be collecting UI.

As you yourself have already stated...

Quote:
Anyone who has been unemployed for over two years should have made significant changes in their job search strategy a year ago. Relocation, additional training, or accepting a lower paying job would all be a good start--without freaking excuses.
... and I agree.

The government can do better things with my tax money than use it to finance EUC.

Bring back the old days of 26 week state claims... Force these people to accept jobs rather than pick and choose because they have 73 weeks of UI available. There are jobs available... although it may not be up to the standards of their previous job... It's still a job.

Isn't that what you said?

Quote:
No, people who haven't been able to find work in their field after a year are the ones who need the reality check--it's time to move on and find a different line of work for the time being. People in NYC can find summer jobs down on the Jersey Shore, in the Catskills or Poconos, or up in the Lake George/Adirondack area. One tank of gas or a $30 bus ticket to get there, and lot's of rooming houses that cater to the seasonal employees. Ideal? no, but it's a job!
NC is eliminating EUC altogether on July 1st and I'm betting other states will follow. The free ride on the gravy train needs to end.

My tax dollars shouldn't be financing the lifestyle of those who refuse to work for $12 hr because their old job paid $20 an hour. (Sound familiar anyone?)

THAT was my point.

Now how about you lose your attitude and we'll all be happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
He wants you to know that he is happy he moved to Seattle which allowed him to pay into federal tax
Well speak of the devil...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 01:50 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
My point is I'm fully aware that EUC is partially taxpayer funded.

I am of the opinion that 73 weeks (and prior to that 99 weeks) is far too long for people to be collecting UI.

As you yourself have already stated...

... and I agree.

The government can do better things with my tax money than use it to finance EUC.

Bring back the old days of 26 week state claims... Force these people to accept jobs rather than pick and choose because they have 73 weeks of UI available. There are jobs available... although it may not be up to the standards of their previous job... It's still a job.

Isn't that what you said?

NC is eliminating EUC altogether on July 1st and I'm betting other states will follow. The free ride on the gravy train needs to end.

My tax dollars shouldn't be financing the lifestyle of those who refuse to work for $12 hr because their old job paid $20 an hour. (Sound familiar anyone?)

THAT was my point.

Now how about you lose your attitude and we'll all be happy.

Well speak of the devil...
My apologies. I misunderstood what you were saying and completely agree with you. Mea Culpa.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:19 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times
Quote:
My apologies. I misunderstood what you were saying and completely agree with you. Mea Culpa.
It's all good.

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:39 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
Quote:
And where do you expect the money for these payrolls to come by? I'll give you a clue, most companies don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars laying around for a bloated payroll to hire bodies they don't need, and tax dollars shouldn't be adding to an already bloated government payroll.

Actually there are many many companies hoarding money during this time.

Companies hoarding more cash than ever before - Los Angeles Times

There is actually quite a bit of capital that could be used in hiring, sadly it isn't.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:21 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
And where do you expect the money for these payrolls to come by? I'll give you a clue, most companies don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars laying around for a bloated payroll to hire bodies they don't need, and tax dollars shouldn't be adding to an already bloated government payroll.
I understand a part of it, the issue is if companies are hoarding cash (as another post links to an article that talks about this.) Companies holding cash rather than reinvesting it does not contribute to the economy. Any form of reinvestment whether it is adding to workforce, new machinery, new software, ect. Through these there are other companies can get more business and in turn get more revenue so they COULD expand and have a wave of hiring. Something we haven't seen in the last five years except for seasonal jobs like yours in the Catskills, Jersey Shore (somehow I don't think it will be as good this year,) Poconos and other areas within a reasonable drive from New York.

As for public companies, not all are linked to the government and some even produce revenue to cover costs including local power companies and the post office. As for say the department of defense and national museums, you are right that we can't bloat the government when we already have mountains of debt. A good number of companies have stopped hiring (yet they still attended a job fair I went to.) However there can be job growth in these departments that can come after more people get paid and higher paying jobs. More wages coming in, higher tax revenue. The large majority of the unemployed work in middle class jobs, not the 1%ers who will face higher taxes starting this year.

However if companies have money and sit on it, it doesn't help this process and thus hurts trickle-down economics.

Quote:
Google is your friend. Another EXCUSE to not look for work--because someone isn't spoon feeding it to you.
He wasn't asking you to show him the job applications, he was asking for proof that there has been the growth you said there has been in the summer vacation jobs that take any and all comers and house said workers.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:26 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times
Where I am, there are no jobs available. Oh, there's plenty listed on the job boards but how you get hired for them is still a mystery to me. Filling out the applications and sending resumes gets you nowhere. You get no call backs for an interview. Don't be so quick to bash people on unemployment. You don't realize how tough it is to get low paying jobs do you? It's not a walk in the park. I've noticed the less skills you need for the job and the lower the qualifications are the more competition there is. Just about anybody can work at a fast food joint or a department store so they are going to get hundreds of applications for just a few positions.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:11 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
you haven't heard anything about the long-term unemployed because most media outlets have no interest in talking about them. Most liberal leaning media outlets don't want to report on the unemployed because they fear that bringing attention to the unemployed will hurt Obama. And most conservative leaning media outlets don't want to talk about the unemployed because they feel nothing but contempt for the unemployed.
really?
really ???
must it always be politics??

Old 04-22-2013, 05:16 PM

994 posts, read 1,591,969 times
I generally don't like to tell people how to search for a job since looking for work is like a crap shoot; it really depends on whether the decision maker likes you or not. Unfortunately it is like trying to sell a product when you are interviewing for a job and most people simply don't have the natural ability to sell themselves. Like selling a product most people will probably never get the skills to sell themselves to a potential employer. Me personally, I wouldn't even do business with a lot of the companies that have been nasty towards the unemployed in the past few years. Why do business with someone who cares nothing about their people?

Old 04-22-2013, 05:29 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
I personally refuse to invest in most American Companies. I have lost all respect for them seeing how most of them behave like idiots and moral cretins puts a shame on the entire country.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:31 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
My tax dollars shouldn't be financing the lifestyle of those who refuse to work for $12 hr because their old job paid $20 an hour. (Sound familiar anyone?) ..

I'd settle for seeing UC reduced at every change in tier, down to no more than 1/2 the starting point after 46 weeks, which was the max during the 80s receesion for the most part, and unemployment than hit 10.8%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment