Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 05:36 PM

560 posts, read 1,548,876 times

Advertisements

I have noticed in recent years that workplaces are changing, as in, they have become more and more toxic. Could it be that many "street" people are being hired, bringing with them street mannerisms (like talking loud, bad attitudes, a tendency to start trouble, extreme nosiness, etc). Are these companies who hire them getting any breaks from the government, is that why they tolerate their presence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 06:32 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Ha, maybe they are just hiring the cheapest workers available? I have seen this more often myself at previous employers. They find these ex cons, drug addicts, alcoholics, etc and expect to get quality work out of them for $8/hr. Generally, it costs far more than it saves. Maybe they will learn, but probably not...

Old 01-18-2013, 06:49 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
Oh my gosh, I have definitely noticed this. I'm remote, but the nearest office has deteriorated to the point that I wouldn't step foot in there. Sooooo unprofessional, lots of in-fighting, just awful.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:21 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Sooooo unprofessional, lots of in-fighting, just awful.
Ha, that happened at the last company I was at. They would hire anyone willing to work for $10/hr to babysit machines. They found this guy that was clearly an alcoholic. 50% of the time, he wouldn't show up after payday. He also had an anger problem, and it didn't take much to turn him into a raging lunatic. They put him on night shift, and he had a massive anger eruption after one of his coworkers told him he needed to concentrate on his work. It was a rather large plant, and coworkers from all sides of the building heard the fiasco and had to separate the two. And get this... The company STILL didn't fire the guy

Seriously, some employers don't care how undesirable or potentially dangerous employees are as long as they'll work for next to nothing. Be careful out there folks...

Old 01-18-2013, 08:07 PM

126 posts, read 429,497 times
Depends on where you work. I don't see that behavior with the professional crowd (college educated, years of experience). Not saying those types aren't represented in those environments, just saying I've never seen any.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:11 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
I've seen it in professional settings - more people shouting across cubicles, arguing, having loud discussions about personal problems on work time. How did this happen?

Old 01-18-2013, 08:13 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
. They find these ex cons, drug addicts, alcoholics, etc and expect to get quality work out of them...
enough about Congress!!

Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
Wow, I work for "next to nothing" at a little over $10 an hour, but I am expected to exhibit the utmost in professionalism as a certified nursing assistant. I'm not a "street person" or an ex-con. ..just someone whose skill set has been rendered less desirable in this new economy. I know of plenty of people like me. Perhaps the poor behavior is less a factor of low wages as it is a failure of poor incentive for better socialization in the workplace.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:25 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Wow, I work for "next to nothing" at a little over $10 an hour, but I am expected to exhibit the utmost in professionalism as a certified nursing assistant. I'm not a "street person" or an ex-con. ..just someone whose skill set has been rendered less desirable in this new economy. I know of plenty of people like me. Perhaps the poor behavior is less a factor of low wages as it is a failure of poor incentive for better socialization in the workplace.
I agree 100000%.

This is why there is no mad rush to get rid of illegals, because they know those people will jump through hoops for the slave wages the unions fought so hard against a century ago.

Today's americans could not careless. You're paying garbage wages, no benefits and cutting hours, but yet you want people to act like they "love" working for you. Yeah, right.

Keep dreaming Mr. and Mrs. Corporation.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:19 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I've seen it in professional settings - more people shouting across cubicles, arguing, having loud discussions about personal problems on work time. How did this happen?
Look what passes for entertainment on TV and radio.

Being publicly crass is the new normal.

God forbid you pass judgment on anyone's public behavior.

Garbage in, garbage out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment