Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 04:08 PM

4 posts, read 14,370 times

Advertisements

I've heard it's actually easy getting a job. It's just lazy people who are too picky.

The thing is I have had jobs in the past, but I've seriously had bad luck.
My job history sucks. I have a lot of experience, but I believe it's the frequent new jobs that are making employers trash my application.

First job -Lowe's (Feb 2011)
Loader (Pretty much cart attendant, but I did cashiering here and there)

I worked there for 3 weeks. I applied as full-time. I was a 2nd semester college student and didn't know how it was really like to work full-time.
They ended up scheduling me from 1-10pm or 2-11pm, four and five days in a row.

I ended up getting frustrated. They say that they would drop hours and I would work Thursday-Sunday 1-10 or 2-11 every day and have mon-wednsdays off. (Didn't really help). So I resigned.

Next job = Target (March 2011 - June 2011)

I believe I would have still been working there if it wasn't for the Moderator cut: snip managers.
I was hired as Cart Attendant/Cashier, but they only put me on cart attendant.

I was called into the office about a month or so into the job and they asked how I liked it. I said it was cool, but it's not challenging. I told them I would like to cashier or gain some skills. They said sorry for the misunderstanding and that they would begin to give me cashiering scheduling.

I started to cashier for 2 months, then next thing you know the day before my 90day evaluation, they said I had been getting customer complaints and I Moderator cut: snip. She promised if "I Improved" she would move me to the sales floor.

Very next day I was fired because of another customer complaint. I was like Moderator cut: snip? I was helping employees stock shelves and barely even cashiered. ( I believe they didn't like me so they Moderator cut: snip a reason to fire me)

Next Job was Wal-Mart (July -September 2011)

Hired as dry grocery sales associate. Stocked grocery, wasn't too bad, just annoying since managers would always come to me for big heavy Moderator cut: snip . Next thing you know I noticed they started to get me to unload grocery trucks, then normal merchandise trucks. Got tired of it, because I didn't apply as a Moderator cut: snip unloader. They got over on my kindness, so I confronted a manager about it. He basically ended up telling me, to get back to work, he doesn't care. Resign or be fired for insubordination. I told him I liked the job, I just don't like unloading trucks since I'm suppose to be doing grocery. Ended up getting terminated I guess?

Worked at Staples (February 2012 -May 2012)

Was a nice job. Nice hours. Sales manager liked me, but not store manager. (Was a stale Moderator cut: snip . I think she was a Moderator cut: snip ). They started off giving me like 20 hours or so a week. But then it dropped to around 10 hours a week. I didn't mind, since I was going to school). They started to call me in on my days off and I would frequently tell them I couldn't come in, but sometimes I did ended up coming in (regretted it). Within 1 month, 4 people quit. I was office supplies (Biggest section in the store) and 2 of their best people left. I ended up putting in a 2 weeks notice since I got hired at a new job, but the new job literally gave me 2 days until I started training, so I couldn't actually work the next 2 weeks. Sales manager was cool and said to come visit. Store manager (black Moderator cut: snip was pissed im pretty sure, but didn't say anything)

End of may 2012-June 2012)
-Got a job at West Asset Management
(debt collection agency)

Trained for 2 weeks. Strict as Moderator cut: snip . Passed test and officially got hired. Turned out the job wasn't for me. I don't like to harrass people (Basically had to tell people to pay their student loans or we will garnish their pay)

During the 3rd week. (Official week on the floor) I told the Human Resources lady that I didn't think the job was for me. She understood and said it wasn't for everybody and that it was good I said something soon.

Last job was a temporary to permanent position at Buy Buy Baby (Nov 2012-Nov 2012)
We had to set up the store within 10 days in preparation for grand opening.

Busted my Moderator cut: snip for 10 days (actually only work like 6 days out of 10) but I put in 47 hours I believe within a week. I was scheduled 5 days, but even said I would help them on days I was off, so I got more hours. I unloaded trucks, stocked shelves, etc 8 hours a day.

Store manager called me in and ended up laying me off with a bunch of other people. Said I could use him as a reference when I asked. Thanked me multiple times for my help.
----

What could I do that would help me get a job?
I recently graduated in December 2012 with an associates degree, so I thought that would help a little, but so far it's not.
Should I completely forget about all job history and tell them I haven't worked before? Should I only list my last job, since it was temporary and I worked there for a week?

I feel like job history is the only thing Moderator cut: snip me over. Keep in mind I bust my Moderator cut: snip at every job. They never complain about my performance, it's always some stupid Moderator cut: snip that ends up happening.

Cliffs:
-Had 6 jobs within 2 years.
- I only list Wal Mart, Staples, and Buy Buy Baby on all applications
-Don't get calls back

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 01-21-2013 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: Profanity, racist comments removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 07:33 PM

244 posts, read 634,040 times
Sounds like Retail is not for you.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:04 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,181 times
I have a question for you. How did you keep getting new jobs after getting fired? Were you honest about it in the interviews?

I'm just curious how people find work after getting fired, mainly because I may be in that situation one day. I get along great with my boss right now, but I could make him mad tomorrow and get canned.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:40 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,272,454 times
Honestly sounds like something is wrong with you. Maybe it is your attitude or something. When your making low pay and just starting out you have to do the grunt work. If you complain they get rid of you. Noone has that much unluckiness.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:23 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,425 times
I would maybe put 2 or 3 of the jobs where you were at the longest on your resume, so you can list some skills from having previous work experience. Play up the customer service or something along those lines. When you get interviews, you can downplay some of the previous jobs by saying they were temporary, because once you fill out job applications, you are supposed to list all jobs anyway. And for everything really recent, within 5 years or so, I think you will need to do this. The interviewer will certainly ask you why so many jobs in a short period of time, so you need to practice with someone such questions in mock interviews.

I believe you lost your job in some cases on how you did not handle yourself well with management, like the other poster said, you probably complained too much from their perspective. Most any supervisor hates it when people complain and it is quite easy to find replacements for your previous jobs. It is just part of the "game" of workplace politics: generally speaking: the less you complain, the better off you are in management's eyes. You just need to get along with everyone as much as possible and sometimes when things go wrong, you just need to keep it as professional as possible.

Could you go back to your college and talk to the career placement office? You can search for jobs there and, also talking with someone about your situation and finding work may help you more than this message board. Good luck.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:57 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,430 times
Honestly, it really won't matter that much. Based on your total inflexibility and apparent lack of respect, your next job will likely be short term too. Try a temp staffing agency - this way you can continue to bounce around, but it will look like you were working for one employer.

You really need to take a look at why everything is always "their" fault, not everything is "bs".

Old 01-20-2013, 04:26 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,777,607 times
In a couple of instances, it seems as if you took jobs that were very wrong from the start. I truly understand that sometimes you need something (anything) in order to pay your bills. But I myself would hesitate to take something that I know I would absolutely hate (and I've been fired/laid off several times).

You should network. Ask friends or family if there are any openings at the places they work. A strong personal reference can help overcome bad previous work history. But make sure to get their honest opinion about the work and the management.

I agree with the other posters to an extent that many, many bosses and supervisors are terrible at their jobs and terrible people all around. However, you just have to play their game in order to get that paycheck. If not, you'll be unemployed, and they will still be getting paid. So then who is it who losses in end?

Another option is to volunteer or intern. It's not easy to get people to work for you for free. Once you get your foot in the door, there is a possibility that they will take you on for hire. And if it doesn't work out, then it doesn't have to go on your resume.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
The common thread is your lack of work ethic. Most of us spent some time doing work we didn't really like, with difficult schedules to gain experience and additional education for something we really enjoyed with great pay and benefits later in life. With your record
and limited experience, I can't imagine why anyone else will take a chance on you. The
associates degree is better than just high school but doesn't help you compete against the many people with BA/BS degrees looking for the same jobs. Whatever you can find, take it and stick with it to develop some kind of decent track record, so this job hopping doesn't continue your whole life. None of us want to see you on the street corner with a tin can.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:23 PM

4 posts, read 14,370 times
Thanks everyone.
I have been honest for the most part on my applications. I only list Wal-Mart, Staples, and Buy Buy Baby on them. Even though I only worked at Buy Buy Baby for pretty much 10 days (since it was temporary), the manager said he would be a good reference.

I guess my attitude does come into play. I'm nice, but then it always seems like managers get over on me and take advantage of my kindness, then I start to become irritated.

Example: Walmart. One day they asked me to help unload grocery trucks, and I did. Then gradually it became more frequent, until eventually I was doing it every day around the same time.

Maybe I shouldn't take jobs I don't like. :/ ... I just become impatient because I am yelled at to find a job and take anything that comes at me...then I end up in the same situation, because I was never happy to begin with.

I

Old 01-21-2013, 02:35 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,831,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpBro View Post
What could I do that would help me get a job?
I recently graduated in December 2012 with an associates degree, so I thought that would help a little, but so far it's not.
Should I completely forget about all job history and tell them I haven't worked before? Should I only list my last job, since it was temporary and I worked there for a week?

I feel like job history is the only thing Moderator cut: snip me over. Keep in mind I bust my ass at every job. They never complain about my performance, it's always some stupid Moderator cut: snip that ends up happening.

Cliffs:
-Had 6 jobs within 2 years.
- I only list Wal Mart, Staples, and Buy Buy Baby on all applications
-Don't get calls back
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpBro View Post
I guess my attitude does come into play. I'm nice, but then it always seems like managers get over on me and take advantage of my kindness, then I start to become irritated.

Example: Walmart. One day they asked me to help unload grocery trucks, and I did. Then gradually it became more frequent, until eventually I was doing it every day around the same time.

Maybe I shouldn't take jobs I don't like. :/ ... I just become impatient because I am yelled at to find a job and take anything that comes at me...then I end up in the same situation, because I was never happy to begin with.

I
It sounds like you don't have hardly any trouble finding a job. You have trouble keeping a job. You seem to be somebody who gets bored fast or doesn't enjoy every facet of the job. You need to realize that you will have a hard time finding a job that you actually enjoy, especially in the retail sector. Also, you need to realize that not every job is going to just include what is listed on your job description. If you happen to get pulled into something else than you need to ride the storm. There are no secrets to keeping a job, we just deal with it. As the other poster said, I think you have some attitude adjustments you need to make. Very rarely have I ever run into a manager who is worthy of name calling. You also seem to be inflexible in your schedule which will always give you a bad rap with your manager. In retail, a set schedule is never a for sure thing.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 01-21-2013 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: Removed inappropriate language in quoted text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment