Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 01:23 PM

503 posts, read 1,172,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
In a different thread you are considering becoming a vet tech, then a veterinarian, and mention taking $100k in loans.

Yet here you say you are unwilling to spend $6k.

Make up your mind. Are you worth investing money in yourself, or not?
CNC is something I'd be miserable doing. I'd quit as soon as I found a better job and never go back to it.

Practicing veterinary medicine is something I would be happy with.

You seem to confuse the terms "job" and "career".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 01:25 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Ah. I did not count on the snootiness factor.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Ah. I did not count on the snootiness factor.
I also did not count on the fish for brains response.

Honestly, though. If somebody had career aspirations and was struggling to get a job to work toward their goals, would you tell them to give up on everything and become a CNC operator?

Old 06-08-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
I also did not count on the fish for brains response.

Honestly, though. If somebody had career aspirations and was struggling to get a job to work toward their goals, would you tell them to give up on everything and become a CNC operator?
It really depends on the person. We do not know one another. All I know is you exhibit frustration at not being able to land a job (start a career if you will) and you said you are unwilling to invest $6k in CNC training. A skilled CNC operator can make a decent living (I think).

So yes, I would recommend it as an option to consider if I did not know a persons goals or preferences. Since it seems that you aspire to something else, and the skilled trades do not appeal to you, no, I would not recommend it for you specifically.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
It really depends on the person. We do not know one another. All I know is you exhibit frustration at not being able to land a job (start a career if you will) and you said you are unwilling to invest $6k in CNC training. A skilled CNC operator can make a decent living (I think).

So yes, I would recommend it as an option to consider if I did not know a persons goals or preferences. Since it seems that you aspire to something else, and the skilled trades do not appeal to you, no, I would not recommend it for you specifically.
Sorry for my snappiness. I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning (literally, too. My S.O. and I switched sides for the night.) I should have phrased my statement with better context concerning aspirations first.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
Sorry for my snappiness. I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning (literally, too. My S.O. and I switched sides for the night.) I should have phrased my statement with better context concerning aspirations first.
Understood. My retort was not all sweetness and light either, so I apologize as well. I think we can both put this behind us.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:41 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,902 times
I have not tried fast food outside of dominoes and subway. However on the retail end I can certainly say it is not easy, I have applied to many, many retail stores: Kohl's, Stop and Shop, CVS, rite aid, Target, Party city, AMC theatre etc... and have gotten back exactly 2 calls. This is after calling and or going to the store in person and confirming that they are hiring, this is after sending in the online application, only to check back a week later and the store is still hiring. And before anyone says "Why don't you go in person and talk to the manager and give him/her your resume"- I tried that bud, I get promptly told to apply online or "Sorry we don't accept paper applications".

If anyone is saying "retail is guaranteed" they are either out and out lying or there area of retail is much more receptive than the place where I live.

I have not really tried fast food yet as Id rather much do retail than fast food, however if fast food ends up being as unresponsive as retail is/was, then I don't know man.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:50 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,899 times
Besides, you can't go to any trade schools in massachusetts (nor have I seen any) and you definetly can't do it on financial aid dimes either.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:17 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times
parried - if you have relative in Chicago you can live with them temporarily while you go to Wright College trade school which gives free CNC or Industrial Maintenance Training to low income people. Chicago companies hire entry level cnc people from this school.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:12 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,899 times
I don't. But that would have been perfect for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment