Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 05:51 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times

Advertisements

Just ran into this youtube video and it's been really hard for this young 22 year old to even get a minimum wage job!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57bP-tosLLQ

If both my parents died now I'd have a hard time getting by on my SSDI and I'd need a part time job to supplement my SSDI. I guess most of the jobs out there would be minimum wage, and I guess it would be tough just to get any job.

Last edited by Jesse69; 07-07-2013 at 06:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 06:07 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyself View Post
now i am going through the crazy with my husband. out of pure frustration i asked him tonight, "are you lying to me about your abilities at work?!" because he gets laid off from every. single. job. he. lands. sure, he has a great history (5 years, 6 years and 3 years at his jobs respectively--no breaks, no firings, not a SINGLE bad remark and one supervisory position) but the layoffs are sickeningly crazy and i was doubting him to be honest. but because the man can use any employer he has EVER had as a reference (to be honest--ALL of them remember him fondly when we call and some of them even still have his contact info) i have to resign to the fact that he cant be totally cuckoo. but my question is--why don't they ever call him back? he is a great employee as per their own words, but it seems as if the layoffs come and they never call him back.
Do not misconsture the word layoff. In 2013, in almost all industries and occupations, layoff and firing are synonyms. In both cases, 95% of the time, your stint as an employee there is finished..permanently.

I gather his experience is production related-we automate every year..that means we need fewer employees every year unless our volume increases enough to offset it..we do avoid layoffs by using voluntary attrition, but any way you cut it, most manufacturers today will need fewer employees every year..due to automation.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:25 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times
Yeah, when I worked at MPC Products in 1997 I said there could be trouble in the future if there was too much automation which got rid of jobs. I think that's why the Chinese don't use automation much, - they rather employ people to do the work.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:32 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Yeah, when I worked at MPC Products in 1997 I said there could be trouble in the future if there was too much automation which got rid of jobs. I think that's why the Chinese don't use automation much, - they rather employ people to do the work.
It isn't whether they prefer people. Automation costs money up front-most corps do not invest substantial money unless the savings will pay back the investment in just a few years..2 years max, is a typical standard. .

What may save a lot of US mfg is two tier wage systems, as the 2nd tier will be all that is left in a short amount of time, so they make automation less attractive..given the low cost of labor in that situation.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:58 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Umm, you are an engineer???

The Chinese don't automate jobs because they don't have to. Why would you spend hundreds of thousands, or even millions to eliminate a $1/hr worker? That would be an enormous waste of money.

Actually, Foxxcon is beginning to integrate automated processes into their production model, perhaps due to rising wages, or perhaps due to the many on the clock suicide attempts.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:57 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,899 times
Quote:
Just ran into this youtube video and it's been really hard for this young 22 year old to even get a minimum wage job!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57bP-tosLLQ

If both my parents died now I'd have a hard time getting by on my SSDI and I'd need a part time job to supplement my SSDI. I guess most of the jobs out there would be minimum wage, and I guess it would be tough just to get any job.
But wait, according to the people on this forum (and most people in general for that matter) this kid is just spoiled and entitled and doesn't know a thing about how the world works, right? I'm waiting for the people with this mentality to explain themselves, but like always they never can.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:49 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
Quote:
Are low wage jobs hard to get in this economy?

I don't bother applying for low wage jobs because of my SSDI... But some of you here are long term unemployed or employed in low wage jobs just to get by...

My H.S. friend Noel has a lot of restaurant experience and despite his felony he gets restaurant jobs quickly in this economy.

What low wage jobs are hard to get?
I would try. When I was applying to everything I could see, I never go hired. I even followed up multiple times and never got hired. Probably many people applying.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:01 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
Low wage jobs maybe the only jobs you can get nowadays

Old 07-08-2013, 05:40 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
It really is sad how many people slave away in the world and have very little to show for it, while a relatively small percentage live in luxury and badmouth those who don't, saying it's their own fault for not going to school, or having the drive or ambition to start over new somewhere.

If all these 'wage slaves' did decide to revolt or strike, society would surely change, perhaps for the better, perhaps for the worse.. it would probably affect those wealthy people the most since they'd have to pay more for the goods and services they take for granted.

Could we survive in a world without huge multinational corporations which basically become monopolies and push the little guys out of the game? Only if the people wanted it that way. I'm amazed people can get by today with the low wage garbage work that basically left in this country. How is the economy even thriving? What are all these jobs that have been created and what are the wages? Seems like another debt injected bubble is forming to me, this time in the bond market from Bernake bailing it out... any hint that this might come to and end has been met with a dramatic rise in yields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment