Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:40 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,043,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
When FedEx and UPS agree to serve EVERY address in the USA....maybe. Until then, we need the USPS.
Agreed. It would be nice if FedEx and UPS served all addresses. I'm sure this can be accommodated.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:41 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,043,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udonsoup View Post
The post office would be in the black if they charged a 30-70% premium as well on the same services sans daily mail delivery.
One of the drawbacks of the USPS is that it does not charge a higher margin on all of its services.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:00 AM

339 posts, read 830,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Today we can get our bills online. we can pay our bills online. We can even have our bills paid directly from our checking accounts. At work we just went to electronic pay checks. We can even have our W2's sent to us electronically now. I just see less of a need for the postal service than in years past. Someday we just won't have a need for it.

Yeah and most place now are trying to get everyone to go paperless for bills and everything too. I bought a book of like 20 forever stamps a year ago and I still haven't used them all. I almost never mail anything, I pay all of my bills online, and if you pay it through online banking there is no extra service charge. I don't know how to manage bills using paper! With all bills being paperless, the only thing in my mailbox is weekly adds from grocery stores and other junk mail. I guess the world is just changing and how we do things is changing with everything being done online now.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:06 AM

339 posts, read 830,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Well I never pay a bill late and still get assessed a "convenience fee" for paying online.

Let's see now:

State of MD income tax filing: $20
Macy's: $10
Municipal Water and Sewer: $5
BGE: 5% of bill
Subaru Motors: $15
Oil company: $10
Citgo and other gas cards: 2% of bill
Mortgage: $10 (that's assessed on automatic payments from checking, also)
County tax bill: $15
Hunting/fishing licenses: $2

These are not late charges but convenience fees.

You should pay all of those bills from your online bank's website and you can avoid all of those charges. Most banks let you set up all of your bills online and pay them right from there, one place no extra charge.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:12 AM

6,566 posts, read 11,221,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Little known fact: IRS outsources transferring the critical numbers from the e-file to their systems. That means a third party has view of all of your PII. For that reason, I have NEVER e-filed. My PII is worth protecting, IMHO. I like the Post Office. And they have gotten a lot crisper in recent years.

About the outsourcing: verify on EPIC website, that's how I found out about it several years ago. EPIC is a non-profit electronic privacy group that tracks such things.
Uh... do you know how many services are outsourced by the Fed? So you don't efile - but that info is still eventually processed and stored on an IRS system (which may or may not even be hosted at an IRS facility). Who do you think developed many of those systems? or manages them on a day to day basis? Do you know how many agencies (Fed, State, Local) have access to that info?

Not to mention, do you know how many places your PII is stored? And how many time its probably been simply emailed to someone in the clear as an excel attachment?

Old 01-22-2013, 06:54 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,673,253 times
They actually did raise the postage on January 27th is when it will happen. Some by 115%. I actually like the post office. I work wth them for my online store and they get my packages to every destination in 2-3 days , domestic and 7-10 days international . I hope they never leave because I don't care for FedEx or UPS

Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,629,349 times
It's not just the black middle class that would be affected, it's scores of other middle class people, all the way from truck drivers to software engineers, upper level managers, everyone. And it's not just USPS employees: The fallout in private industry would also be massive.

Privatization is the worst option yet: It would indirectly dump a huge tax burden on the US taxpayer, by dropping more people into the realm of social welfare recipients. However, the cost of shipping and mailing would go up, so the only real winner would be the company that took over the USPS (OK, a satellite of Pitney Bowes), dumped its payroll and benefit obligations, got the US taxpayer to cover insurance and other social programs for all these working newly-poor people, then kept whatever was in the middle.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:00 AM

156 posts, read 312,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
They actually did raise the postage on January 27th is when it will happen. Some by 115%. I actually like the post office. I work wth them for my online store and they get my packages to every destination in 2-3 days , domestic and 7-10 days international . I hope they never leave because I don't care for FedEx or UPS

I can't figure out why UPS and Fedex are in business.

Only a small percentage of the population needs pro courier services regulary...DHL, Fedex, etc. make much more sense in places with a broken postal system(most of the non-first world).

Perhaps some states have a screwy, underfunded post office system with few locations.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,673,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udonsoup View Post

I can't figure out why UPS and Fedex are in business.

Only a small percentage of the population needs pro courier services regulary...DHL, Fedex, etc. make much more sense in places with a broken postal system(most of the non-first world).

Perhaps some states have a screwy, underfunded post office system with few locations.
It's so expensive to send international too! I tried to ship something to Australia , it was $5 at the post office but UPS quoted me $111!! And there are no dhl or fed ex even near me to try.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 AM

9,802 posts, read 11,478,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
After graduating from college, I've gotten the impression that the government is at least more open to interviewing minorities than the private sector. That is just my experience, though.
That's alot of people's experiences,minorities and women.
At the end of the day affirmative action was the only way to beak up the the good ole boys network!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment