Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 06:42 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,902 times

Advertisements

i believe if you want to get to the level where you can open up your own practice and see patients/people etc... you will need a msters for that. Assuming you don't want to do schooling past a bachelor degree I would recomend getting internships/part time work during the summer to beef up the resume as you will be competitng against many, many business, liberal arts, accounting grads etc... for the same job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 06:46 PM

31 posts, read 68,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
I don't want to switch, I just want to know if I can go for an MSW with a BA in Pysch.
According to the majority who have answered , I guessing I can not do that.
I looked up the salary earned by someone who is an MSW and they earn a median income of $56,000, and only about 10% or 20% make less than that (maybe wrong what that's what i'm finding online).
I'm feeling that a MSW would be faster to finish, and will get me going faster. But, this is the problem im not sure. You guys are telling me to go for a ph.D just to make a decent wage. I don't know if I want to go that far, too much schooling, too much time.
Yes, you can get a MSW. It is just quicker if you have a BA in SW instead. With a MSW you will be able to become licensed as a professional counselor just as you would with a masters in psychology.

I have a BA in psychology and have been able to find a decent paying job in my field as counselor at a day treatment facility. Internships and field experience helps a lot. It is possible to be satisfied with that major.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:52 PM

757 posts, read 1,103,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpegg0 View Post
Yes, you can get a MSW. It is just quicker if you have a BA in SW instead. With a MSW you will be able to become licensed as a professional counselor just as you would with a masters in psychology.

I have a BA in psychology and have been able to find a decent paying job in my field as counselor at a day treatment facility. Internships and field experience helps a lot. It is possible to be satisfied with that major.
So do you think it would be better to major in Social Work or in Psychology? Since if I major in social work i can finish everything faster.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
So do you think it would be better to major in Social Work or in Psychology? Since if I major in social work i can finish everything faster.
Yes. Then apply for an accelerated MSW program. It will take you half the time if you already have your BSW. Make sure it's accredited and that you'll be able to complete the requirements for LPC licensing.

With an LPC you'll be able to do counseling, therapy, rehabilitation, etc.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:47 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yes, but as far as I know a Psy.D. will allow you to make a good living. dnvrsoul ruled it out and said that you need a Ph.D. in order to do so. I was asking [disagreeably] why?

Sorry forgot a posted-nothing wrong with a Psy.D-however, if you want to do research and/or therapy the PhD is more virsatile-I only worked with PHD's...

Also, if you receive your degree in Social Work and decide to get a Masters in Psychology-cannot do it. Must have a bachelors in Psychology in order to obtain a Masters in Psychology BUT you have have a bachelor's degree in Psychology and obtain a Master's in S.W.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Sorry forgot a posted-nothing wrong with a Psy.D-however, if you want to do research and/or therapy the PhD is more virsatile-I only worked with PHD's...

Also, if you receive your degree in Social Work and decide to get a Masters in Psychology-cannot do it. Must have a bachelors in Psychology in order to obtain a Masters in Psychology BUT you have have a bachelor's degree in Psychology and obtain a Master's in S.W.
That hasn't been my experience! It might be a regional thing or depend on what university you are looking into. As long as you have the necessary psychology-related prerequisites you would be able to get into a masters of psychology program with any undergrad major.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:58 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post

I have looked at dozens of masters in psychology programs because I was once interested in getting one. A bachelors in psychology is generally not a prerequisite. As stated by someone else, some schools might require a few prerequisite psychology courses. I actually think it is easier to transition from a non-psychology undergrad to a psychology grad than it is to transition from a non-social work undergrad to a social work grad. I don't quite understand what you're trying to get across in the bolded section.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:58 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I have looked at dozens of masters in psychology programs because I was once interested in getting one. A bachelors in psychology is generally not a prerequisite. As stated by someone else, some schools might require a few prerequisite psychology courses. I actually think it is easier to transition from a non-psychology undergrad to a psychology grad than it is to transition from a non-social work undergrad to a social work grad. I don't quite understand what you're trying to get across in the bolded section.

The point I was trying to make is you can obtain a bachelor in Psychology and go for your master's in social work-BUT from my experience you couldn't obtain a master's degree in Psychology if you didn't have a bachelor degree.

PS I have a Masters degree in Psychology and this was the rule. Maybe this has changed I don't know.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
I was workig on an undergrad in psyh, which turned into behavioral sciences. It was very similiar & a couple less courses. I could do squat with just a BA. I remember contacting companie to see what positions they had & they said there's nothing for me.

You could be a school psychologist, in which you need a MA.

I'm now in the field of speech-language pathology...much, much, much more in demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment