Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 AM

14 posts, read 26,947 times

Advertisements

Go to college for the expereience only, try to work part time or save all of your student loan refund check over the 4 years. After graduating, take a year spend time with your family and travel, use the money you saved over the 4 years. After then join the US Airforce, while in the airforce get training in what you may want to do after you get out. After getting out of the airforce you will have your college degree + your air force training to find a decent career path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 10:06 AM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 365,379 times
Enroll at the smaller branch campus of the college you visited so you won't have classes in an auditorium with 500 people. Also, you won't be in the cool big city neighborhood, so you'll be more likely to study and go to class instead of hanging out in the record store half the day. It would probably prevent you from dropping out after a year and having to start over again several years later.

Date the guy who seems boring, not the guy who wants to be a rock star and thinks he'll achieve this goal by smoking weed and playing his guitar in his walk-in closet all day. Robert Plant will never call him to tour with a reunited Led Zeppelin.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:14 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,591,822 times
Avoid debt like the plague or addictive drug it really is...

Old 01-25-2013, 01:03 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,195,173 times
Default Way Back Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Knowing what you know now based on your own experiences..
About college, or employment choices? what would you tell your younger self

Not much. But I would ask my future self to spot me a few bucks.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:21 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,664,605 times
i would tell my past self...don't waste your time studying so much because it won't matter anyway, no one will ask you what your gpa is at an interview unless your trying to go to grad school which you're not..you should have got a job in college instead of studying so much because experience matters more...don't pick that school, go to the school that could have got your the connections you needed to get an actual job...don't try to graduate so fast, employers won't care...college isn't a miracle worker...don't be so optimistic about the future, its a trick for disappointment .. and who you know is more important than what you know ...and life is not only not fair..its f*king ridiculous...

Old 01-25-2013, 01:22 PM

13,536 posts, read 9,944,973 times
Don't get into Horticulture, people will treat you like the dirt you are digging.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:29 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,127,841 times
If you are going to try to kill yourself, buy a gun, don't bother with pills.

Take a gap year in between high school and college to figure out what you want to do with your life.

Start writing that novel earlier.

Don't bother dating THAT guy. He was a worthless prick anyway.

Take your meds. Or kill yourself.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:50 PM

803 posts, read 1,660,563 times
If you don't take charge of your career/life, then someone or something else will do it for you. Ignore the naysayers and don't take sh*t from people.

Loyalty in the workplace is dead. Don't be afraid to jump ship for something marginally better.

Edit: Also, anything related to career development or progressive change should be taken with a grain of salt. Based on my experience, superiors will talk the talk, but they often don't follow through with it.

Last edited by ASOT; 01-25-2013 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: added one more

Old 01-28-2013, 09:38 AM

917 posts, read 1,999,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

Life: Don't take it too seriously. Bad stuff happens. How you deal with it dictates the ultimate outcome. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and move on.
This. I would tell myself not to let setbacks and fear hold me back so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Also... going into debt for college is over rated in my opinion... so many graduate or worse with a mountain of debt... I worked my way through the engineering program with a double major... took 5 years with no summers off... the upside was having less than $1,200 in debt when I earned my BS
Good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
If you don't take charge of your career/life, then someone or something else will do it for you. Ignore the naysayers and don't take sh*t from people.
This is so true. I learned this the hard way.

I would tell myself to take risks.
Study abroad in college.
Consider getting that doctorate.
Leave the dead end.
Stay sway from junk food.
NEVER LEND MONEY!!!

Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 PM

30,133 posts, read 23,520,254 times
Oh and I would also say:

"For the love of GOD, young Three Wolves In Snow, listen to your instincts. No, they are not wrong. No, you do NOT have to give every single person the benefit of the doubt if your instincts are telling you otherwise. They are right, you are wrong. It's admirable that you want to give everyone a chance but not everyone deserves it and you ALWAYS pay for it in the end. Your instincts are right. LISTEN to them! Damn!"

Also:

"You do not need to outfit the entire world. They don't have a lot, that doesn't mean you have to buy them everything they need. You can't even afford a car, why are you buying people furniture?! What is WRONG with you?!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment