Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 04:08 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,443,742 times

Advertisements

It depends... I've worked in either all male or mostly male environments but I do know that some men do talk a lot. Men and women gossip differently for sure.

In one of my previous positions, some 22 year old guy just kept yammering on and on about his girlfriend. Half the people I work with are well aware of this, saying "yeah, and then we gotta listen to that", or "does he ever shut up?". Annoyingly enough, he'll never get fired since his parents have a lot of sway in the partner company.

I only mind gossip if it's too distracting, and unfortunately, I've only had a few workplaces where we had our own offices... it's mostly been open floors where any noise is much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 04:11 AM

18,439 posts, read 18,569,329 times
The only gossip Ive joined in on at work is about unfairness, with a co worker not turning up for work a lot and leaving it to others.. being late for work. or not pulling their weight...

Old 08-10-2013, 01:29 PM

989 posts, read 1,870,324 times
I overhear women (all ages, marital status, size, shape, color, etc) at work all day long gossip about how hot I am, and how they would do anything to sleep with me. It's impacting my ability to do my job, and I'm ready to take my grievance to HR. I can’t take it anymore.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:45 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,821,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Alright ladies! Answer for your actions! You know women do this 100 times more than men in the workplace and I want to know why.

I have nothing against women. I get along great with every single one of my female co-workers. But seriously, whenever I mention something as light hearted as "How is your day going?" I very much risk getting a drama talk about how much they dislike so-and-so at the office.

After being in the professional workforce for just five months I have seen this to a tee. At first, I played along with it not knowing how far it could go. Now, whenever the girls at the office want to talk bad about others I just make some gesture that I paid attention to their statement and walk away.

Men rarely do this in the workplace!

where i work i would say the gossip is about 50/50. i teach with a guy who somehow knows everything going on in the school or at least thinks he does and is not afraid to make you aware of the goings on. he will from time to time even make morning rounds to some of us to fill us in on the recent "scoop" haha.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:17 PM

663 posts, read 775,037 times
Men will gossip about facts and to less people:

"Hey, have you heard? X got a promotion today!"

"Y is dating Z!"

"A just bought a new car!"

Women will gossip with their opinion and to more people:

"I think she likes the new guy in the office"

"He is always late, he always takes 2 hrs lunch! Its not fair!"

Old 04-06-2018, 08:48 PM

712 posts, read 608,842 times
There both equally guilty of gossiping about the stupidest things. I find though the woman just have larger groups they do it with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment