Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 01:34 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Despite not being illegal, companies have been sued successfully for sharing too much personal information. It's none of anyone's business even whether the person is sick or took the day off for some other reason. Because we are a support group I have to notify many others when someone is off, but my e-mail is simply "_____________ is out today."
Absolutely. It is an invasion of privacy and if management or other c-level staff changed, the "new" manager/c level could easily decide to cut costs and lay off those with certain health problems or procedures deemed "expensive." Nothing is permanent and everyone is replaceable. from the mailroom to the President or CEO. Public or private company, matters not. CEOs leave for better opportunities, move or retire. New people come on board and then it's all over for others.

Whoever instituted this practice of revealing detailed medical reasons for absences is well, just stupid. It will come back to bite eventually, someone if not that specific person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 05:16 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,430,343 times
When I was diagnosed with cancer, my bosses (with my permission) sent out an email to my office of around 50. There were a few reasons: 1) I was the youngest person in the office (first job out of college), the lowest paid, and had only been working for a few months so my bosses hoped to get a collection for me, 2) I was about to come into the office with no hair and the personalities of the office would make it uncomfortable - so warning helped with the questions and 3) it introduced my blog which gave updates about my medical situation if people wanted them, rather than ask me in the office.

It helped to some degree. I only got cornered in the bathroom once by a tearful woman asking when I was going to die. I think if I had showed up after I had to buzz my hair, it would have elicited a LOT of conversations with coworkers that I would rather not deal with at work.

But in my case, the email was a result of a discussion with my supervisors. Nothing ever would have been said without my approval.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:48 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Unless I specifically stated that I wanted co-workers to know what was going on with me, I would not expect that type of information to be shared. I find that at my place, since most of us are pretty friendly with each other, most people will share that information on their own.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Unless I specifically stated that I wanted co-workers to know what was going on with me, I would not expect that type of information to be shared. I find that at my place, since most of us are pretty friendly with each other, most people will share that information on their own.
yes, this is a generally friendly place, but its gotten quite large with a couple of mergers. I would expect the co-workers who are especially close to someone who is ill or injured to know the info, but I have been shocked that so much detail is sent out to a large group. I have considered just casually asking my boss (who reports to the director who often sends these out) if there is any concern about privacy for such matters, and just leave it at that.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:34 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
If I had a major health issue like cancer or something, I would tell people. There's no use in hiding it because people will wonder why you are taking so much sick time, why you have lost so much weight, etc., and I wouldn't want nasty rumors flying around that I was dying of AIDS or some other STD.

Otherwise, if it was something minor, I wouldn't tell anyone.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:49 PM

I would never tell anyone anything, be it cancer or a pin prick. It's nobody's business. Protecting my job and privacy would come first. Let them talk, who cares? Are these coworkers paying my bills? If it was something major and possibly terminal, I would attempt to change my hours or make my job part time. Otherwise I would resign, if all else failed. I might seek a different job with easier hours, if my illness permitted. Insurance companies are very picky with covering illnesses and many companies are not as honest and employee friendly as they claim.Keep in mind that profit comes above all else in American corporations, regardless of their size. You are replaceable, when will anybody here realize this? Who are you kidding? Who cares what people think. I don't want their pity. I want dignity and privacy.Nobody heard about the fired woman whose son was diagnosed with cancer? She sued. You don't reveal medical issues. Do what you got to do. Use other reasons for absences, if possible. Otherwise change jobs.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:57 PM

432 posts, read 1,227,946 times
Violation of privacy laws here. My company (250 people) can't even write emails saying someone is not at work because they are "sick" in general. The only time anything can get mentioned is if its a contagious outbreak ie "whooping cough" and then the person involved is not named. That makes you a bit worried thou if any staff in your immediate area is gone if they are the "ones" sick, and you might get it next! If staff approve then emails can be sent out - so and so just had a baby etc, but they have to give permission first. Companies can get in serious trouble if they disclose an employee private medical issues. Now that doesn't stop the verbal gossip that goes around the office...

Old 01-26-2013, 06:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Wondering what folks' thoughts are about health information being shared about co-workers.

I do not work in a small mom-and-pop type place. After going through a merger, my department alone has close to 100 people. This is not a cut-throat environment, generally people like each other, there are many friendships, etc.

All that aside, it seems that the culture is one in which if any employee goes out on leave for an illness or an accident, this information is shared via email with everyone. These are not generic emails like, "Bob will be out on medical leave for the next 3 weeks," these emails usually include specific details about what the illness or injury is, such as, "Suzy ruptured her spleen last night and went into emergency surgery today. We will keep you posted as we learn more." And these are sent to large groups of people, generally entire departments at this company.

In each case, I don't know the person involved beyond being mere acquaintances, so I don't know how they feel about this information being shared about them. Maybe they don't care. I just find it a bit odd. I would think that someone would want to check with these folks first and confirm that its OK to disclose this information company-wide before doing so.

Is this common in most offices? How would you want this information handled if it was you? Would you care if everyone you worked with knew the major details of your illness/accident?
Where I worked it was and normally the information came from relative or good friend.Whan I had major surgery in houston in 97 ;they even seen two workers to bring me a basket full of things to use at home during recovery. When a co=worker had cancer and ran out of sick leave 'the compnay allowed us to work his shift ;so he and family got full pay.I'd say my experience is that its a matter of concern as they even let my wife take a month of family leve at their insitence to take care of me d before;during and after my surgery. We had perhaps two hundred employeees but evryone knew eack other pretty well.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2M View Post
Violation of privacy laws here. My company (250 people) can't even write emails saying someone is not at work because they are "sick" in general. The only time anything can get mentioned is if its a contagious outbreak ie "whooping cough" and then the person involved is not named. That makes you a bit worried thou if any staff in your immediate area is gone if they are the "ones" sick, and you might get it next! If staff approve then emails can be sent out - so and so just had a baby etc, but they have to give permission first. Companies can get in serious trouble if they disclose an employee private medical issues. Now that doesn't stop the verbal gossip that goes around the office...
Of course. if the revealing of your medical information gets you fired, you can sue the company under the wrongful termination (tort). If someone start spreading rumors, true or false, and you get fired, you can sue for both wrongful term. and slander/libel. Not everyone is compassionate when it comes to illnesses or other medical conditions.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:12 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
I've been doing some reading about this topic since I posted this thread, and I don't believe that what he is doing is considered technically illegal. But, since this person, the director, is generally rather obtuse and disrespectful of others, I believe he hasn't ever considered that the people he sends these emails about might want a bit more discretion in terms of the level of detail and the number of people the information is shared with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment