Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 721 times

Advertisements

As a brief introduction, I landed a bank teller job right out of high school and fast forward 11 years later, I am still working for the same bank as an assistant branch manager. During my time at the bank, I started as a teller, got promoted to a lead teller, then to a personal banker, then briefly to a role in corporate as a risk analyst, and finally to an assistant branch manager which I am today. I've had the chance to move to branch manager but due to my family, I'd prefer not to step any higher because while I'm working 60-70+ hours a week, my branch manager is pulling in 80+. I will also throw in that I have obtained a B.S. in Finance as well as hold a CFE (certified fraud examiner) certification.

While the banking is definitely not a big gig, especially for my age, I'm looking for something that will not only give me more time with my family but that is not so heavily involved with sales goals. When I began as a teller, the sales goals have always been around but it seemed like the focus was more on customer service. Now, the game has changed and it seems like all that matters are the number of accounts that we open on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. From a company-wide standpoint, our branch is consistently in the top five but even then, it seems like that is not enough and we get threatened with our jobs. Not to mention, though this job provides very well for my family, I'm willing to take a cut in pay so that I can actually see my son grow up (he's only three.)

I've been sending applications to many different types of positions but my question is what would be some good areas in particular that I should maybe consider? My resume experience is stable and I've got solid references. One of my friends suggested I take a look at supply chain management which I don't know anything about but from reading on it, looks like a promising option. I've put in applications for restaurant management, retail management, hotel management, accountant I roles, financial analysts, etc.

For those wondering, I'm not very specific exactly (yet at least) on any position and am open to options. Hoping to work more of a normal work week (40-45 hours) and would accept a pay cut down to the $40-$45k range. While I dont mind a selling aspect of a job (I understand that for management, its a number game with the bottom line), I just dont want a glorified sales position such as retail banking, insurance, etc.

I'd prefer to still stay within a professional role and am even open to doing additional schooling (one of the perks of the bank was tuition reimbursement so between that and working, I was able to walk away from college with zero student loans. Took me much longer than the usual 4 years to complete my degree but it was well worth it to graduate debt free.)

After reading a lot of posts on here, hopefully I broke this up into easy to read paragraphs. I see how the job search is going for many people so being among the ranks of the employed with a decent paying job, I feel very blessed to say the least but looking for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 07:40 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,734,709 times
Have you thought of just staying in banking at a different bank? I know plenty of branch managers that do not put in anywhere close to 80 hours a week, in fact the only people I know in banking that work those kind of hours all seem to work for Bank Of America or Wells Fargo. Most I have even really talked to tell me they put in around 45-50 hours a week at most.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:25 AM

6,569 posts, read 11,233,872 times
Is branching into other roles within the bank (or other banks/CUs) an option? I'm with a financial institution, and I see many folks that move around from department to department (accounting to lending, lending to IT, IT to marketing, etc.).

If you are a CFE, I'm guessing that you have a pretty good background in BSA/AML? You can use that background (as well as your 11 years of experience) to becoming a BSA/compliance officer? Or even look into what you need to do to become a ISO.

In essence, use what you have and move to a less sales oriented role. We also have a number of project managers that specifically work on various implementations.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:20 AM

2,109 posts, read 1,441,457 times
Try a credit union. These are member owned and much less based on sales but more on bringing a pleasant experience to the members. Credit unions are not-for-profit because their purpose is to serve their members rather than to maximize profits. I think you would find working at a credit union a great experience and you would not be required to work the long hours to make sales goals/profit activities that a bank requires. One of my first jobs was with a bank and I switched to working for a credit union. I work in an entirely different field now, but I can honestly say that of all the jobs I ever held, the credit union was the most "fun."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment