Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 06:52 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Some emails only require a few words for an answer. Thus, still only a few seconds. Other emails are an emergency, so, sometimes, you will have to address and it takes longer.

Mostly, for me, I read what's going on, and then have lots of time to mentally craft my response or determine what action to take. If it isn't an emergency, no one really expects me to respond immediately. Thus, I have lots of time to gather my thoughts on the issue before responding the next day.

And lest people start jumping all over me for now spending "personal"' time "thinking about work", I am a master of multitasking. I have solved so many work issues or problems (in my head, not on the blackberry) while falling asleep, watching TV, eating dinner, walking the dogs, hanging out with friends, at a sports arena,folding laundry etc, etc. I'm also not neglecting me or my loved ones.

Best of both worlds, I think.
If something is such an "emergency", would the company not be wise to have designated on-call employees? What company would have an emergency in which the response hinges on an employee answering an email, when that employee is not even required to or designated to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 07:43 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
If something is such an "emergency", would the company not be wise to have designated on-call employees? What company would have an emergency in which the response hinges on an employee answering an email, when that employee is not even required to or designated to?
hmm..let me give you a scenario...

I had an employee who was set to deliver a presentation to the Board on Monday morning. We, as a team, had prepared him and worked on the presentation for weeks. He was in an awful car crash on that Sunday that landed him in the hospital. Thankfully, his wife sent an email letting me know the situation. While I certainly remained in contact and always knew his situation, I also had to deal with the presentation to the Board.

Because my other employees also recognize that emergencies may happen, they, too, were available and stepped up. We were able to present in the designated time. Because no one thought about 9-5 hours, rather just "get the job done", we were still successful.

So, please explain, exactly what "on-call" employees would you designate to handle this particular situation?

Old 02-01-2013, 09:22 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
hmm..let me give you a scenario...

I had an employee who was set to deliver a presentation to the Board on Monday morning. We, as a team, had prepared him and worked on the presentation for weeks. He was in an awful car crash on that Sunday that landed him in the hospital. Thankfully, his wife sent an email letting me know the situation. While I certainly remained in contact and always knew his situation, I also had to deal with the presentation to the Board.

Because my other employees also recognize that emergencies may happen, they, too, were available and stepped up. We were able to present in the designated time. Because no one thought about 9-5 hours, rather just "get the job done", we were still successful.

So, please explain, exactly what "on-call" employees would you designate to handle this particular situation?
That is not quite the same I feel what people here are debating.

The debate here is work, not emergencies. When you stated "emergencies" in your post, I assumed you meant work related items, like "what happened to the TPS-110 report today", not actual emergencies such as in your example.

I do not think there is any debate (at least not from me), about someone contacting their supervisor due to a medical or personal emergency, and this pre-dates email (people usually call), and I think is not the subject of this thread.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:26 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
I'm salaried also, and I completely agree with the OP. I give 100+ while I am at work. If the company has an expectation of me answering emails & working after hours once I walk out the doors, then they sure as heck better provide me with the means to do so. I will not use my own phone of laptop for company work. Been there, done that...total PIA to separate work calls, emails, etc from personal for reimbursement.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 PM

455 posts, read 898,520 times
Being the sole Network Administrator for a company whose services to customers rely on 24/7 functionality, I sorta expected to be on 24/7 call. (which is why I knew I could negotiate the salary I got) There are just some positions where it is necessary to have a short enough leash where you can work remotely or on-site should anything come up.

If my company's services effectively ended at the end of the work day, however, I would not allow myself to be utilized beyond that time frame unless I was being compensated for it or it was part of my original job description. Personally, I think it's absolutely fine to be that black and white with it.
As to whether you want to go the extra mile, that's completely up to you. And often times, that may be what sets you apart. (And other times, it's simply overlooked or taken advantage of without recompense)
It's strictly down to your goals with the company and whether you're simply there for the salary you negotiated, or there to achieve a higher position within that company, and how you judge that company to both benefit from, and view, your efforts.

Either way, circumstances will dictate, and you always have to start with that.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:06 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
That is not quite the same I feel what people here are debating.

The debate here is work, not emergencies. When you stated "emergencies" in your post, I assumed you meant work related items, like "what happened to the TPS-110 report today", not actual emergencies such as in your example.

I do not think there is any debate (at least not from me), about someone contacting their supervisor due to a medical or personal emergency, and this pre-dates email (people usually call), and I think is not the subject of this thread.
No, it's exactly what we are talking about. That Sunday, I had to call together about 10 people to do actual work. While a medical emergency triggered this, none of these other people had a medical emergency. I asked them to drop what they were doing (friends and family) and spend hours of their personal time preparing for this presentation. From what I am reading, all of the strict 9-5ers would absolutely not do this. I'm thinking they wouldn't even answer the phone.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:56 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
Rather than making moves on your own, you'll wait for the job market to improve, that's also your choice.
The person said: he she is "as high as I will ever go in the company, and making my peak salary. It's just a means to an end for a few years until (hopefully) the job market improves."

That has nothing to do with NOT 'making moves on your own' - the person is making the decision to job hunt what she/she perceives a better environment for doing that. That's all.

Quote:
Glad you know that you don't want to move up-- some people who prefer to only put in the minimum (not saying minimum in a bad way but just saying the minimum hours required of the job) end up getting confused why they are not getting promoted, etc.
Another comment that makes no sense given that the person is already at his or her highest promotion level and highest salary level.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:06 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Southerner View Post
I'm the proud owner of a Samsung dumb phone. I haven't joined the smartphone craze, I am the only one in my department who hasn't, and there is a reason for that.

I know that if I bought a smartphone with a data plan, inevitably, my boss and co-workers would find out. Then, like the rest of the office, it would become expected for me to respond to work emails when I'm off the clock. It would become an unwritten expectation.
Awesome, man. That's the right way to think. I personally do have a smart phone, but I never check work email on it.
In fact due to the on-call nature of my job (Unix sysadmin), I've gotten in a bit of trouble in the past not responding to stuff after hours. I really can't stand any job encroaching on my personal time, so I eventually quit a full time job and took a part time one so I wouldn't have to put up with that anymore.

Quote:
In my department, many of my co-workers do respond to work-related emails in the evenings and on weekends. I'll get in the next morning, pull up Outlook and see where they have been discussing work stuff back and forth at 8:00, 9:00, sometimes even later at night.
That is sooooo sad!

Quote:
Not I. My job description specifically says that I was hired to work 40 hours per week, M-F, and I intend for it to stay that way. (I am salaried). They have me for 8 hours each day.
I completely share your attitude Unless I'm the owner of the business, my job is just that: a job. I'm doing it to pay the bills and live my life. I'm not married to it. It's not making me rich. There's no reason why I need to any more of my personal time on it than I have to.

It's awesome that you've drawn the line and sticking to it! That's exactly been my attitude for years, much to the chagrin of my employers, bosses, and co-workers (especially at the startup environments where everybody works 12 hours a day. ... Not me. I won't do it unless it is almost guaranteed that I will make serious money - meaning life-changing amounts of money)

Old 02-02-2013, 09:33 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Awesome, man. That's the right way to think. I personally do have a smart phone, but I never check work email on it.
In fact due to the on-call nature of my job (Unix sysadmin), I've gotten in a bit of trouble in the past not responding to stuff after hours. I really can't stand any job encroaching on my personal time, so I eventually quit a full time job and took a part time one so I wouldn't have to put up with that anymore.

That is sooooo sad!

I completely share your attitude Unless I'm the owner of the business, my job is just that: a job. I'm doing it to pay the bills and live my life. I'm not married to it. It's not making me rich. There's no reason why I need to any more of my personal time on it than I have to.

It's awesome that you've drawn the line and sticking to it! That's exactly been my attitude for years, much to the chagrin of my employers, bosses, and co-workers (especially at the startup environments where everybody works 12 hours a day. ... Not me. I won't do it unless it is almost guaranteed that I will make serious money - meaning life-changing amounts of money)
Why is that sooooo sad? If they choose to get work done when they can, good for them. Look up the qualities of successful people, they understand they have to put forth effort outside of normal hours.

If you do not want to, then that is ok. However, those who care about what they do and want to get ahead will do what they need to do as well.

The mentality of several people on this forum really gets old. It reminds me of High school.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:26 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Why is that sooooo sad? If they choose to get work done when they can, good for them. Look up the qualities of successful people, they understand they have to put forth effort outside of normal hours.
It is far from guaranteed that putting in hard work and long hours at the job will get you success. Anybody who has been repeatedly passed over for promotions or not given bonuses or raises will attest to that.

if you define success as a tangible, substantial improvement upon your present condition, then probably 90% of the people who "go the extra mile at work" , never actually are rewarded for their efforts, other than a pat on the back. They believe they will eventually be rewarded for it, which is probably the main reason they do it, but the years go by without seeing their just rewards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment