Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 AM

105 posts, read 362,154 times

Advertisements

SO if you had a choice would you take a one a week off as 8hr in order to keep your job and several other people. I know we did back in the 80 to save money/jobs/gas, I think if more compains did this before a lay off many would take it, I think school could even go to a 4 day week and save lot in money/gas/etc!! Here in RDU area I think would be great also add more work at home for some people over laiding them off. What you all under 40 think! safe money/gas/childcare/eating lunch/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 AM

105 posts, read 362,154 times
Smile Who heard the new gov. speak about colleges get back to workable job training!!

I have been watching the news , SO the Gov. In a speech stated he wants to see our state college get back to preparing people for the work force, As I have been in the college age as a case worked the past 9 yr I have watch so many go to school just to please the parents and for easier money to walk away over in debit and not have a real job to go to !! Many of my family friends went to college and left with Large loans and the a piece of paper ! When I asked did you talk to a dean etc most told not they could not get a dean to answer the e-mail etc they just told to enroll /pay/go !! We need to get back to basic and have real world job training for our youth and young adults so as the gov. said not having to live with parent and paid loans off. I would love to see more Voc. Tech schools and start in the 10-12 grade letting the Parents and kids know what the real work world is going to be like for them. I think the Gov. has a got a good start on education and hope he stick with it!!

Old 01-30-2013, 11:25 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken 77 View Post
So, if you had a choice, would you take one day a week off in order to keep your job?
I would love to do this, but only after I had determined that my income/savings could take a 20% hit in salary.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:10 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times
Default The other shoe begins to drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I would love to do this, but only after I had determined that my income/savings could take a 20% hit in salary.
Isn't a 20% pay cut better than losing 100% or going on unemployment?

Many people I know have taken pay cuts to keep their jobs while others wish they'd a had that choice.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken 77 View Post
SO if you had a choice would you take a one a week off as 8hr in order to keep your job and several other people.
In order to keep MY job? Sure, at least for as long as it took me to find another one. In order to keep someone else's job? No.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:05 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
When unemployment is high, people might have to sit still in a job whose hours are cut back by 20%. Those folks wouldn't have much of a choice. But under normal circumstances, a company that cuts back everyone's hours by 20% instead of laying off 20% of the workforce will find that their best people -- in other words, the most employable ones -- immediately find other jobs that pay a full salary. Lots of companies and organizations can withstand a 20% workforce reduction. In a few years, no one will even notice the impact.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:32 PM

838 posts, read 2,523,588 times
The smart thing to do would be to take the day off cut and then find something else that makes up for the missed salary. Part time work, side business, etc...

Old 01-30-2013, 01:59 PM

193 posts, read 458,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
In order to keep MY job? Sure, at least for as long as it took me to find another one. In order to keep someone else's job? No.
LOL and thus the reason everyone is cut throat. I can't change my TV satellite package to a lower tier to help someone else keep their job I'm just not doing it, nor will I give up my daily skinny (fat) triple soy mocha whipped berry jackoff americano lite... but you be the one on the chopping block and it's "people are selfish"

Glad I work for the state, they decide by seniority who gets the shaft and recently gave those with the least seniority the option to either work part time or be laid off.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:29 PM

385 posts, read 615,011 times
It's preferable to both unemployment and taking a 20% pay cut but with no decrease in hours.

I also have two home-based businesses so any day I'm "off", I'm really not.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:17 PM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Back when I worked for an industry that had layoffs, yes I would likely have taken a 4 day week. In fact I did it. But one day became 2, then 3 then 4. With no advance notice when those days off would be.

For schools, you'd have to get around the requirements of days in session and seat hours. The only way to do that is have various education laws changed, keeping in mind that the movement now is for a longer school year. In addition, if schools go to 4 day weeks under current attendance requirements that would mean a longer school day. That would create other issues, not least of which would be student burnout, especially in the lower grades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment