Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 06:17 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I agree with this. You'll be safer in the longterm.
Idiot move.

The minute I run a background check that doesn't match your job, references, etc. You're done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 10:21 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Idiot move.

The minute I run a background check that doesn't match your job, references, etc. You're done.
Uh, okay.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:10 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
Quote:
Idiot move.

Not every employer does a very thorough background check. Some don't even bother checking anything.

My first job out of college didn't check my references or even request my transcript.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:43 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,472 times
Sure go ahead and sue a former employer. That will make potential employers want to hire you. Should have given those two weeks.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:08 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Quote:
Slap your forehead all you want, but - like it or not - this is very much the case from small to large employers.

Equifax does pull this information from credit applications into their database. You want to test it? Go pull your own - you'll be totally amazed at what's on there, and how SOLID that information is.

Then, go slap your forehead again.
Um, ok. Not sure if I am misconstruing your answer for rudeness but it does sound like it.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:02 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
I heard in some countries, job applicants are being asked to pass a polygraph test.
Personally I don't mind it, if the CEO and president of the company also take the same test to see who's telling more lies. Why can't job seekers check a future employer to see if they are a solid company or not? It will only be fair.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:48 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
I think a polygraph is probably to cost prohibitive for most ordinary positions.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:42 PM

400 posts, read 1,508,985 times
i actually got a copy of a background check that a major corporation did on me for job. When applying to a job just check the box and you can get a copy too.

its more than a simple credit check. it has all accounts that i have had open within the last several years (checking, mortgage, savings, credit cards, student loans) with all the balances any late payments average outstanding balance total credit available, it also has a full address history (even more than i included on the application), it has a check of prior job titles and dates of employments (im not sure if this is based on ss# records, tax records or information that ive provided on credit card or loan apps whatever) but its all there. Ive omitted employers on the app that showed up on the report. it also had criminal checks for every state and city that i have ever lived in. it had all my school records (name, date of attendance, diploma, certificates, degrees), marital status, ... it was comprehensive. much more than a copy of equifax or transunion report. only thing that wasnt on there were the employers notes from references checked. so i say its a 50-50 chance if an omitted employer will actually show up on the check. good luck.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:46 PM

400 posts, read 1,508,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Employers do not show up on credit checks. Only entities that you have an account with show up on credit report. If you don't believe me go get your free anual credit report from the three agencies and look at it. It will show mortages, loans, credit card information etc.

That is part of why HR people go nuts when they see a gap on your resume. They are worried you are leaving stuff off purposely.
i actually got a copy of a background check that a major corporation did on me for job. When applying to a job just check the box and you can get a copy too.

its more than a simple credit check. it has all accounts that i have had open within the last several years (checking, mortgage, savings, credit cards, student loans) with all the balances any late payments average outstanding balance total credit available, it also has a full address history (even more than i included on the application), it has a check of prior job titles and dates of employments (im not sure if this is based on ss# records, tax records or information that ive provided on credit card or loan apps whatever) but its all there. Ive omitted employers on the app that showed up on the report. it also had criminal checks for every state and city that i have ever lived in. it had all my school records (name, date of attendance, diploma, certificates, degrees), marital status, ... it was comprehensive. additionally it showed everyone who had requested a copy of my information (it was broken down into subcategories - requested for loans: company a, b, c on date x, y, z then it had requested for employment purposes company a, b, c on date x, y, z) so some may assume that you couldve worked for one of the companies that requested you information for employment purposes if it falls within your gap. they may even call that company even though you didn't list it on you application to verify. you would be safe here if the company used a third party vendor and didnt request it directly themselves. it so much more than a copy of equifax or transunion report. only thing that wasnt on there were the employers notes from references checked. so i say its a 50-50 chance if an omitted employer will actually show up on the check. good luck.

Last edited by caradvice; 02-17-2013 at 08:54 PM..

Old 02-24-2013, 08:35 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
its more than a simple credit check. it has all accounts that i have had open within the last several years (checking, mortgage, savings, credit cards, student loans) with all the balances any late payments average outstanding balance total credit available, it also has a full address history (even more than i included on the application), it has a check of prior job titles and dates of employments (im not sure if this is based on ss# records, tax records or information that ive provided on credit card or loan apps whatever) but its all there.
The employers that do show up on the credit report are employer information that has been used to obtain credit. I have seen this before. No other employers have shown up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment