Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 02:45 PM

29,724 posts, read 24,822,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
TVSG-- not trying to be rude, but you have a myopic view of employment situations like this. I get from your previous posts that your salary is sub-50k and in a larger city you are looking at a higher cost of living.

There are many jobs out there with folks who make significantly more and who are not paycheck to paycheck--- they can afford to set aside large savings, pay for private healthcare, etc.

Not a slight to you, but the jobs you would possibly (per my reading between the lines of your posts) are probably lower paid temp wages where the person barely has a chance of making ends meet, etc.
Considering his long battle with unemployment and the narrow range of experience he has to offer, he should be grateful for the opportunities available. Instead, nothing is good enough and everything is the employers fault... If he doesn't approve of the compensation, I'm sure someone else will gladly take the job.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:53 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,627,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't like how they are trying to get over
You didn't post the ad. Where is the ad? The company is being up front with the job description. Not all jobs full time jobs offer benefits nor are they all permanent.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:31 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,939,240 times
Job Description:

Scope of Position
To identify and contact prospective employers. To solicit position openings in order to build an active job bank. To act as a liaison between local employers and program participants. To identify job related responsibilities and tasks through job analysis.
Essential Functions

• Establish working relationships with local employers; interact with personnel and/or manager responsible for the hiring of new employees
  • Solicit job openings from employers and organize detailed job descriptions for job bank
  • Review participant employment skills and match with active positions in the job bank
  • Record job responsibilities and task data in the project database
  • Enter all employer data and position descriptions in the job bank
  • Assist with Job Club activities as needed
  • Act as an Instructor of the Readiness Training
  • Listen, ask effective questions and document responses
  • Network with area business organizations
Experience and Skills:

• Must have 1-3 years of sales experience.
  • Must have excellent communication and teamwork skills.
  • Should have skills and experience in providing career development assistance.
  • Should have working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
  • Must have notable experience in a team-oriented environment.
  • Bachelor's Degree in business, education, human resources or related area is preferred.
  • Valid Driver's License and an automobile are required
  • Should be able to converse with a wide range of professionals and demonstrate a positive professional attitude.
This is a temporary position (appox. 6months) working 40 hours a week.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
You didn't post the ad. Where is the ad? The company is being up front with the job description. Not all jobs full time jobs offer benefits nor are they all permanent.

It's posted below

Old 02-02-2013, 03:46 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,347,980 times
Its all about how you look at it. I actually applied to a job for a 1 year contract with no benefits. It paid well though and I wanted the experience. Since there were no benefits, and it was a contract, I figured that eliminated a lot of the competition and I had a better chance of getting the job. When it gets close to the end of the contract, I can use my experience and look for a better job. Or just continue looking for a better job while employed with them and quit.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:49 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,029,284 times
Quote:
I saw a job posting today that had this listed at the bottom of the job ad

"THIS A TEMPORARY POSITION WHICH LAST FOR 6 MONTHS AND YOU 40 HOURS A WEEK"

This is beyond slimy because they want to use someone for 6 months and not pay any benefits and once the six months is up then say GOODBYE and then post another ad like that in a couple of months. But this employer knows they can get away with it because so many people are looking for work and is willing to take anything. No company should be advertising a job like this since they can just go through a agency.

This is what you call SLIME at the highest level
Call Obama......he says he cares.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Call Obama......he says he cares.

About himself

Old 02-02-2013, 04:18 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,399,399 times
Quote:
Well that means they should deal with a employment agency
Actually it would be better if companies cut out the middle man parasite/pimp agency and hire the temp directly

But yes temp abuse has exploded over the past few years especially with big corporations who like to keep headcount off their balance sheets and not pay market rates, benefits, raises etc. They can label the temps as a simple business expense and get rid of them with one phone call.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:36 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,268,782 times
I read the first post and thought "What kind of person complains about something soo stupid"....then I looked at the poster. It all made sense.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
I read the first post and thought "What kind of person complains about something soo stupid"....then I looked at the poster. It all made sense.

They trying to get over
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.