Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 06:00 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,735,879 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am looking for a few suggestions on what to do in this type of situation. I recently lost my grandfather and am living 600 miles away from home. Per law, I have 3 days off. Looking at my schedule, it would be beneficial to use 1 day of PTO in combination with my three days off to get about a week off. The Wake is Tuesday at 5pm and the funeral is Wednesday. I am looking at flights and I can get to my destination with time to spare, but I am a bit worried about possible flight delays. It seems that using PTO is not encouraged here, and the logic is "try and find a replacement, if not, too bad". I sent an email to my manager explaining how beneficial the one extra day would be without any response. I emailed her boss, which just went back my boss. Should I try to keep going up the ladder? Just plain call in, with them knowing full-well why?

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 06:04 PM

23,527 posts, read 69,942,587 times
Just call in. Flight connection didn't work out <shrug> You've given the heads up already.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:07 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,735,879 times
yes, I'd feel better leaving on Monday with the services beginning on Tuesday. I just think its too close to call.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:14 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,259,491 times
This employer is utterly a POS. Your grandfather dies and they can't even give you a day. If it wasn't law I doubt you would get the bereavement pay.

Just call in...say your grandfather is dead....in the ground. I wouldn't hesitate calling in such a matter like this. Employers are crap nowadays.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:21 AM

7,967 posts, read 7,305,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
This employer is utterly a POS. Your grandfather dies and they can't even give you a day. If it wasn't law I doubt you would get the bereavement pay.

Just call in...say your grandfather is dead....in the ground. I wouldn't hesitate calling in such a matter like this. Employers are crap nowadays.
This. I once missed the funeral of a favorite aunt because it conflicted with an estate deadline (which It was ALWAYS a deadline where money was involved). I had to complete the paperwork and filing in settling an estate. The beneficiaries and executors would have been okay with a delay of a couple of days, but the attorney at the *@!! hole firm where I worked wanted his *&#!! fee. So I missed the funeral and wake, felt awful, but got the work done.

Prior to that, I informed them well in advance (verbally and via reminder memos) that I would be going to the hospital for a scheduled surgical procedure and would be out for a few days. Of course, the attorney announced the proceeding Friday at 4:00 that he wanted to file an inheritance tax return (well before the deadline) so he could collect the first half of his fee. Said, "We'll finish it it Monday and get it filed Tuesday." Uhhhh...I'm scheduled to check in at the hospital at 8:00 a.m. Monday.

Less than two years later, they cut me to part time, cut my pay, and took away most of my vacation and all of my paid holidays. Six months later, they terminated me - after working for them TEN YEARS. That's gratitude for you.

Don't sacrifice everything in your life for your job. There's no guarantee they won't stab you in the back later.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 02-07-2013 at 04:30 AM..

Old 02-07-2013, 04:31 AM

9,863 posts, read 13,995,325 times
First, I'm very sorry about your grandfather's passing. What does your employe handbook say about PTO? I would think this is exactly the type of thing it could be used for.

Also, what law allows you bereavement time off? What state do you live in? I know of no federal regulations that address this.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:00 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,259,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
First, I'm very sorry about your grandfather's passing. What does your employe handbook say about PTO? I would think this is exactly the type of thing it could be used for.

Also, what law allows you bereavement time off? What state do you live in? I know of no federal regulations that address this.
I don't know where the original poster lives, but in Ohio....state employees get 3 days off. It is a law.

Private sector jobs, it is up to the employer. Every job I have worked at (not state jobs) though gave you 3 days off.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:11 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,773,460 times
Wow. I think you got the advice you need but I just want to reiterate the fact that whoever you work for is a scumbag.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:15 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,624,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Wow. I think you got the advice you need but I just want to reiterate the fact that whoever you work for is a scumbag.
So-- the boss has not replied back yet-- so I would not say that the boss is inherently a scum bag.

With that said-- your boss for whatever reason is not seeing/reading/responding/etc to your email. Call him up, physically go and find him and talk to him.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:51 AM

9,863 posts, read 13,995,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
I don't know where the original poster lives, but in Ohio....state employees get 3 days off. It is a law.

Private sector jobs, it is up to the employer. Every job I have worked at (not state jobs) though gave you 3 days off.
Thanks. You are correct for state employees. (OH Admin. Code Sec. 123:1-32-05, Sec. 123:1-34-09) Does anyone know of any other states that have similar laws?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment