Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 11:51 AM

281 posts, read 747,728 times

Advertisements

Now that I am retired I don't miss trying to get some service from the incompetent administrative support folks at my old jobs. I encountered an incredible amount of lazy people who were just plain incompetent who appeared to have the full support of management, so they could not be touched.

Usually these people worked in Payroll, Human Resources, Office Management or the IT Help Desk Support areas and were suppose to help me in issues related to: my paycheck, benefits, telephone, desk, computer and office supplies. When I complained that they did not return my emails or phone calls I got no where. When I complained after no action for weeks to senior management they backed up the lazy support staff without hearing my side of the story. Amazing.

Is this common and does it happen to you?

Last edited by Old Tired Man; 02-07-2013 at 12:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 12:00 PM
YAZ

7,697 posts, read 14,009,321 times
All too often.

Sometimes I think work is just a popularity contest.

We'll be voting for Homecoming royalty next week.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:32 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,415,528 times
Yes, all the time and if you complain enough about it, you "look bad" in the game of office politics.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:14 PM

29,628 posts, read 24,644,961 times
No, those types wouldn't last a day where I work. The boss would chase them out with a rusty pitchfork, which he keeps next to his desk for that very reason.

But in all honesty, this is the first place I have ever worked where everyone legitimately pulls their weight.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:16 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,417,424 times
There are usually people like that in all organizations, mostly large ones where they can go without being noticed. Small start-ups typically can't afford to keep someone on who's not pulling their own weight.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,562,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
Now that I am retired I don't miss trying to get some service from the incompetent administrative support folks at my old jobs. I encountered an incredible amount of lazy people who were just plain incompetent who appeared to have the full support of management, so they could not be touched.

Usually these people worked in Payroll, Human Resources, Office Management or the IT Help Desk Support areas and were suppose to help me in issues related to: my paycheck, benefits, telephone, desk, computer and office supplies. When I complained that they did not return my emails or phone calls I got no where. When I complained after no action for weeks to senior management they backed up the lazy support staff without hearing my side of the story. Amazing.

Is this common and does it happen to you?
Definitely. I think every office has one person who spends her day looking for ways NOT to help you. And at the same time manages to kiss the boss's butt enough that she can't be touched or complained about.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:01 PM

5,318 posts, read 8,486,576 times
We have one HR person who will never, ever respond to an email, unless you copy her boss on it. We have another who always returns emails/voicemails.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:11 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,130,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
We have one HR person who will never, ever respond to an email, unless you copy her boss on it. We have another who always returns emails/voicemails.
Email them about 4/5 times, with a polite email - after they ignore your message then attach all the emails to another email saying I emailed you 4 times, and they have not responded to any of the emails oopying in their boss. Just sign off with something like "Thank you for your co-operation"

Then when the weasel employee will reply next time.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:29 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,661,227 times
So now you're pretending to be retired? I guess it's good to mix it up a little. Being retired will give you more time for weekend traveling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment