Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:50 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times

Advertisements

Just a thought. A job is that sector is going to be super-high-stress, by definition. If you have any difficulty handling stress, it might not be a great career choice. I would also suspect that burnout will be a problem cropping up soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 09:55 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Just a thought. A job is that sector is going to be super-high-stress, by definition. If you have any difficulty handling stress, it might not be a great career choice. I would also suspect that burnout will be a problem cropping up soon.
I'm guessing defense cutbacks may be a bigger issue.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:27 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'm guessing defense cutbacks may be a bigger issue.
Yes and no. The field is growing for sure, but as you mention defense cutback will mean that you are now competing with people that already have security clearance and some of them may have IT background, in Army for ex.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:35 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
This is true of the IT field in general. There is a reason why higher up programmers, architects, etc are often paid six figures. It's a hard job and extremely stressful. Few have the skills or the stomach for it long term.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:22 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
OP - you should probably just start looking at that field on Career Builder, Monster, or some of the major IT contractor websites. Those will give you an idea of what they're looking for as far as clearances, certs. and education.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:15 PM

524 posts, read 843,554 times
sorry to intrude but what do you call the job of the the people who monitor web sites for foul play? Administrators? How did they come to such jobs?

Old 02-08-2013, 05:14 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantress View Post
sorry to intrude but what do you call the job of the the people who monitor web sites for foul play? Administrators? How did they come to such jobs?
I think it could be cyber defense, but it could also be white hat hackers? There is overlap in this field.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:57 PM

6 posts, read 8,415 times
Yes some overlap, cyber defense is more along the lines of protecting data and preventing intrusion of systems. If you are talking about foul play in this regard than it is called cyber defense. If you are talking about people going to the wrong websites, facebooking, using P2P networks on unapproved systems than those people would be network administrators.

Again it depends for government you usually just need a secret clearance for network adminstrators. Cyber Defense is still TS. Only the government is "allowed" to conduct active cyber defense and offensive actions. Passive cyber defense is allowed by civilian organizations but we all know certain civilian organizations engage in active cyber defense and offensive operations.

This is a growing field and as many people have talked about very stressful. Systems change every year, new updates, new patches, all with vulnerabilities to be exploited. You will ALWAYS be hitting the books and learning new systems AND keeping up with legacy systems.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:35 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post

what is your opinion about getting the education to obtain a "cyber defense" job? Would it be worth it or is cyber defense another one of those careers that is oversaturated and difficult to obtain?

Also, is there such as thing as cyber defense degree or is it a branch of computer science or IT?
This is a post I adapted from an email exchange with another poster, who is of middle age and whose job was at risk. The important part of it, for you, is the link to the Information Assurance Centers of Excellence on the NSA web site"

"the area of Computer Science that has demonstrable Federal push behind it – Information Assurance. The DoD has put a minimum of $10 Billion behind the Information Assurance push so far: the APT (Advanced Persistent Threat) undermines our entire economy. Read Operation Shady Rat for details.

The NSA has designated a number of universities and colleges around the country as Centers of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance. Here is a link to the state map where you can get details by state: http://www.nsa.gov/ia/academic_outreach/nat_cae/institutions.shtml

If you are already working and your company has tuition reimbursement - jump on it and lock in tuition reimbursement for the next semester.

I would grit my teeth and get an MS in Information Assurance. The story would fit: you understand the importance of IA, you can cite the report. You wouldn’t be the first person who got lit on fire with the prospect of sinking his teeth into a national level challenge. The skills you learn will be applicable in any IT company. If you are working and your company is smart, that is the direction it is going.

IA is not a cakewalk (I was a lib arts undergrad). It is TOUGH and you will need to do additional study to keep up in areas that were not requirements for the under grad degree. BUT an MS in IA will keep you warm and comfy for the next twenty plus years. So, your choice is, suck it up now for three or four years and keep your job (you’ll come off any layoff list once your company understands that you are now “with the program”), or stab out halfheartedly, deplete your assets towards an uncertain target, risk missing.

I think it wise to heed the numbers. For the next generation, the Federal Government will be the only place with enough resources to fund initiatives that create opportunities for “just folks”. IA is the wave. I would bet on the wave, because it has long term commitment ..err, funding. "

Best to you.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:38 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantress View Post
Information assurance analysts, cyber analysts, watch floor analysts. Look on USAJOBS under US-CERT and see what they call them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment