Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 12:49 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times

Advertisements

Now that I am back to having my own office I can say that

Positive of a cubicle is being near your coworkers and not feeling isolated

Negative of a cubicle is not having privacy when trying to handle personal business on the phone
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 06:27 PM

300 posts, read 1,136,726 times
Working in a cubicle means no privacy but you're closer to your co-workers. Don't fall asleep.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:51 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,611,630 times
Pros: stable paycheck, weekends, nights free

Cons: work sitting down, growing a flabby backside if you don't keep your caloric intake in check
feel like a caged animal
headachy, fatigue and stress from lack of movement and awful office lighting
corporate douchy people
you're a meaningless pawn making money for an ungrateful entity who doesn't care one bit about you as a person and will lay you off any chance they get, despite years of loyalty & hard work you've completed for them
business casual/professional office dress code
mind-numbing repetitive work that makes you want to fling yourself down the stairs or jump off the roof

Old 05-20-2013, 10:56 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,136 times
Love
- having my own space (computer, desk, phone, name on the wall). After years of working retail in college, this was like a dream!
- people around others for interaction
- I can sit all day
- some jobs you can listen to headphones or an iPod
- you can decorate the way you want

Hate
- I hate that everyone can hear my phone conversation
- I hate hearing others noise at times
- if I nod off at work, sometimes I snore
- sometimes there are no windows nearby

Old 05-20-2013, 11:40 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,396 times
I have my own office these days, but I spent nearly 10 years in a cube farm. Here's my loves/hates, based on that chunk of time:

PRO:
- prefer the faux-privacy of cube to the non-existent privacy of a bullpen
- more comfortable having clearly defined space boundaries
- convenience of walls to pin calendars, to-do lists, etc.
- cube walls muffle sound a bit
- less visual distraction

CON:
- most cubes are configured so your back is to the 'door'
- cubes don't muffle sound enough
- if you get an older cube, it can be pretty gross and dirty (the fabric walls)
- cube neighbors who seem to think a cube is an enclosed office, and take all their phone calls on speakerphone
- limited ability to lock up your personal belongings safely. if you're lucky, you'll have a locking drawer or overhead bin.
- cube walls don't block odor when your cube neighbors bathe in perfume or eat deep fried tuna curry for lunch
- usually you don't have much natural light/access to windows

Old 05-20-2013, 05:12 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Positive of a cubicle is being near your coworkers
That's a negative.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:34 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
That's a negative.

Not if you like the people you work with.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:36 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
On one of those Sunday morning shows, they had a TV article about the move to open offices. No walls, big community tables and stuff like that. Ugghhhhhhhh !!!!! My cubicle has its negatives, but none as bad as having to sit in close relationship to my coworkers with no personal space or boundries. Would make sleeping harder, too

Old 11-03-2014, 01:43 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,662 times
pros- privacy whilst still having access to coworkers

cons-feels like death, or that could be a result of sitting in front of a computer 8 hours a day 5 days a week and not necessarily the cube itself

-Apologies for the drama, its a Monday and the day is slow...

Old 11-03-2014, 01:57 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Pro:

Everything I need to do my job efficiently is within arms reach.
I hear all the conversations with the other planners, so I know what is going on when they call out and can jump in quickly.
I can wear an earbud to listen to music while I work.
If I need to ask a question to a co-worker I can do it very quickly without moving.

Cons:

I share a room with 8 other cubes and I cannot close off my door for privacy when I need to focus.
Listening to co-workers smack on food, slurp coffee, and crunch ice ALL DAY LONG. (pet peeve of mine)
I have to listen to everyone's telecons day in and day out, and can sometimes barely hear mine over people chatting.
I get to sit and listen to the coworker next to me argue with his wife all day long since she is cheating on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment