Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 01:33 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever worked on a project with a tight deadline with people on the other side of the world (12+ hour ahead of you)? How do you manage to keep everyone on the same page? What time do you find works best to try to schedule conference calls, send documents for approval/review?

Any suggestions/experiences would be helpful!

Last edited by findly185; 02-08-2013 at 02:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 01:41 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Be willing to work overtime, from home, and/or with a flexible schedule. You guys will also need some means of communicating (i.e. Skype) and perhaps a way to access computers remotely (i.e. Teamviewer.)

Old 02-08-2013, 02:07 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Yes, I have. Really, the only thing that you can do that is far as far as meetings go is to share the pain. Meaning you sometimes have a call at 6 AM EST and you sometimes have a call at 6 AM their time.

For document approval/review, we just have to have the expectation that they may not be immediate and adjust the project timeline accordingly.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:12 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times
I would send an email asking them (poll style) the best times to have a meeting. With that time difference, chances are it will be inconvenient for someone, but try to make it the best time for the majority. It all works out, but for some the timing is not as ideal for meetings, but if the meetings are about once a month or so, it shouldn't be a big deal. I assume you are using online chat software to keep up with these people who work many time zones away.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:43 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
I would send an email asking them (poll style) the best times to have a meeting. With that time difference, chances are it will be inconvenient for someone, but try to make it the best time for the majority. It all works out, but for some the timing is not as ideal for meetings, but if the meetings are about once a month or so, it shouldn't be a big deal. I assume you are using online chat software to keep up with these people who work many time zones away.
This can be a problem. If it is always inconvenient for the same people for the sake of the majority those people can pretty quickly start to not care.

Share the pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment