Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:47 PM

247 posts, read 751,265 times

Advertisements

I'm not saying you need an education to lead btw so please don't yell at me!!

I have a boss who studied mechanical engineering in school and he has been promoted to the boss of the office and I work for him. He never had leadership, management, behavior, etc courses so when he goes on these training trips to learn those things (since he is a new boss) he comes back telling me how I should learn the information and how interesting it is. So, naturally, I ask him to tell me some of the info. Everything he tells me was in my basic management courses in college and I would consider basic common sense to me but he acts as if his training courses are pioneering this information.

He knows much more things about his career path than I ever will, but as far as management, that was my education (I'm still too young to actually hold the position).

How do I approach this? Play dumb? Act like he is telling me something that isn't common sense to me?

I told him I learned the info in college but, I think he was offended and just thinking "oh, you think you know it all but you are young and dumb"...but I don't think that about everything!! But, name a leadership principle or way to manage people and I have studied it. His little leadership class is just a less detailed version of the classes that I had 7 years ago.

I was a bit offended that he thought I was so uninformed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times
does he know/related to/sleeping with someone in the office who put him there? thats usually how that happens

Old 02-08-2013, 09:03 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
does he know/related to/sleeping with someone in the office who put him there? thats usually how that happens
He probably earned his position by being good at his job. The OP didn't say anything to indicate otherwise.

OP, I think that if the opportunity arises you should certainly use the management skills that you know. But there's know point in verbally informing your boss that you've already learned what he is learning. There's a lot of things you can teach him and he can teach you in relation to management and engineering. Do your job and take advantage of that when opportunities arise. No boss likes to feel outsmarted.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:20 PM

110 posts, read 330,692 times
engineering is one of those degrees that is so insular, they often don't take these intro classes that other majors are required to take.

their programs are very structured and planned from the very first year. so, they often "miss out" on those type of classes.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Unfortunately too many people get promoted to supervisor or manager without training or experience, just because they are a good employee. Often it's to keep them there, as the only way to get them a promotion, but often it doesn't work out and they can't handle the staff. There is no appropriate age to become management, I started at age 26 and had employees as old as 60s. With a good educational background and experience in lead roles
for experience, I had to go through not only interviews but a group discussion among the top 5 candidates, to demonstrate an ability to discuss and debate.Have now been a supervisor or manager about 30 years. Stay out of trouble, do a good job, and maybe if your boss fails you can go for the position yourself.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:45 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
I'm not saying you need an education to lead btw so please don't yell at me!!

I have a boss who studied mechanical engineering in school and he has been promoted to the boss of the office and I work for him. He never had leadership, management, behavior, etc courses so when he goes on these training trips to learn those things (since he is a new boss) he comes back telling me how I should learn the information and how interesting it is. So, naturally, I ask him to tell me some of the info. Everything he tells me was in my basic management courses in college and I would consider basic common sense to me but he acts as if his training courses are pioneering this information.

He knows much more things about his career path than I ever will, but as far as management, that was my education (I'm still too young to actually hold the position).

How do I approach this? Play dumb? Act like he is telling me something that isn't common sense to me?

I told him I learned the info in college but, I think he was offended and just thinking "oh, you think you know it all but you are young and dumb"...but I don't think that about everything!! But, name a leadership principle or way to manage people and I have studied it. His little leadership class is just a less detailed version of the classes that I had 7 years ago.

I think you came off as a jerk. He is excited to be learning something new and you are minimizing it and making it feel like something everyone knows, or something you knew 7 years ago, so it is no big deal. Whether or not it is common sense to you, those courses very likely ARE new info to him.

You mention mechanical engineering in such a way that it makes me think this is not the area in which your office functions. Imagine if you decided to go to school and get a new degree, and you took a mechanical engineering course and everything you learned and shared with that boss was treated like info you should have already had. Would annoy the heck out of you.

Everyone has different educational opportunities. Stop looking down on him because his differ from yours.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:58 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
He probably earned his position by being good at his job. The OP didn't say anything to indicate otherwise.

OP, I think that if the opportunity arises you should certainly use the management skills that you know. But there's know point in verbally informing your boss that you've already learned what he is learning. There's a lot of things you can teach him and he can teach you in relation to management and engineering. Do your job and take advantage of that when opportunities arise. No boss likes to feel outsmarted.
just when i thought you had left me alone for good, here you are again

Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
just when i thought you had left me alone for good, here you are again
It's all in your head buddy.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:15 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
You spent time and money taking management courses in college. He did not, but is getting them as he goes along. There are bound to be some things you have learned that he does not know or is still learning. It sounds as though he wants to share what he is learning with you. That might be exasperating, but I'm not sure why you are offended on a personal basis. Is it that in some way he is not respecting you? Has he been dismissive of you? He has a role to fill, and as long as he isn't being a jerk about it, perhaps some of the problem lies in the way you are relating to the situation?

Old 02-09-2013, 12:12 AM

436 posts, read 755,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothisismyname View Post
engineering is one of those degrees that is so insular, they often don't take these intro classes that other majors are required to take.

their programs are very structured and planned from the very first year. so, they often "miss out" on those type of classes.
Yep, I missed "Basic Management 101" in undergrad (Though I took a lot of econ courses). Ummm... How many people actually take management classes in undergrad. "Insular"??? ... So much hate for engineering students.

Quote:
...I think he was offended and just thinking "oh, you think you know it all but you are young and dumb"...
Perhaps you have a problem presenting yourself. Remember, your boss ... was... gasp... an engineering major. They are so insular.

Quote:
But, name a leadership principle or way to manage people and I have studied it. His little leadership class is just a less detailed version of the classes that I had 7 years ago.
His "little" leadership class????
To be blunt, you sound like you have a thin skin. I hope you don't want to manage people in the future.
What is your problem with him?

Is he a jerk?
Is he unfair?
Or are you just jealous of his fortune and opportunity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment