Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 11:49 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times

Advertisements

Moving anywhere with no job is a pretty bad idea. That should be your priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 01:40 PM

244 posts, read 667,518 times
Dont' forget to look into staffing agencies when you get wherever you are going. Sometimes those temp jobs can turn into permanent ones.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:51 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
I guess you know that you wouldn't be the only one that's looking. You and a zillion more.

If you were hiring, which would you choose to handle your client's accounts, which would you think would be the more stable? Trustworthy?

#1 the person that just packs up and travels across country with no job in sight because he doesn't like the weather.

#2 the person that has lived in the community for a while, set down roots, and become part of the society. He/she may even be reccommended by friends already working for you.

The suggestion to check with staffing agencies is a good one. You may not get what you like at first, but you'll have your foot in the door while you learn your way around.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:56 AM

281 posts, read 643,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakread2 View Post
Dont' forget to look into staffing agencies when you get wherever you are going. Sometimes those temp jobs can turn into permanent ones.
This is a good idea. I would at least try to find a job in the area you choose before moving. There are plenty of accounting jobs in Texas. I was going to move there last year, applied on-line and got a phone interview. The owner was ready to hire me on the spot even though I'm 1500 miles away. I don't think it matters where you are, plenty of people are migrating to Texas right now and employers are used to the fact you may not live there yet. Unfortunately I had some issues to take care of here (divorce and others) that made me realize I needed to put off moving for a while, but when I'm ready to go I don't care how much savings I have I will not leave without SOME sort of job lined up. Why would you want to waste any savings you have saved up just because you're antsy to move? I agree with looking at temp agencies as well, start sending them your resume, make some connections, tell them you are ready to move but you need to find work first. As long as you have some good qualifications I think it will be no problem to get a job first.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:24 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,665,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieACC View Post
I have been reading a few of the other posts in this forum, and it seems that there have been a number of people who have commented about their success in just getting up and moving. However, I have not seen any specific details about how they were able to find a job once they got to their destination. I would really like to leave my current city for a warmer climate, but my biggest concern is finding a job once i move.

I am 24 years old and live in Michigan, but I would really like to move somewhere south because I would much rather have to deal with a hot summer than the cold winters that we have here. I haven't researched any place specifically(I will definitely do some research and travel to the place once I decided on it) but I'm thinking possibly Florida or Texas). I've done some research and from what I've heard it is a lot harder to get a job when you live out of state, than it would be if you moved to that place first and then interviewed. I have an accounting degree from Michigan State, and have worked as a Staff Accountant for almost two years since graduating. I was thinking that based on my qualifications it wouldn't take me that long to find a new job, but that is really why I'm making this post (I don't want to move somewhere south and after six months realize I still don't have a job).

I have enough saved up and I'm pretty sure I could get by for at least three months with no income, but believe I could find some kind of work to help me stay for at least 6 months. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation and been able to find a job in there field pretty quickly? Or am I wrong in assuming that I won't find a job online because I'm looking out of state?
Fellow accounting person who recently moved to NC from Dallas about a month ago. I came here for a career opportunity. Company paid relo. So, I am committted to staying put for a couple of years. Long story short though -- Prior to moving here, I lived in Dallas for a year. Moved there from Colo where I had grown antsy after 13 years; w/o a job but had substantial savings; took several months off before applying for anything. In fact, I didn't even think about a job during those first few months after relocating. My friends were green with envy..lol Anyway, once I started my job search, my phone rang daily. I actually turned down jobs. I promise you that the job market in Dallas for Accounting people is GREAT! DO use the "niche" recruiters who cater to Acctg/Finance professionals. They were very helpful to me while there. My advice is that you're young & free-spirited and have a VERY marketable skillset. Just go and don't overthink it. You'll be fine. IMO your chances of finding work is better when you live in the state where you're applying. I like your idea of saving more money prior to going. You can never have too much. Personally, I had close to 2 years saved and I plan to keep it that way for the next move ;-) Good luck!!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:59 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,222,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieACC View Post
Thank you for all the advice everyone! I'm just really ready for a change, most of my good friends have left the area I am currently living in and as I mentioned I really hate the cold winters here. I know that if I'm going to make the move it has to be soon while I have no encumberances. Based on all the information I received from all of you I definitely believe I can make this move (even if it means having to do some kind of menial work for half a year). I think I'm just gonna try and build up my savings for another month or so and then make the move.

Thanks again for everyone for all the advice!!
As long as you're willing to do whatever it is you have to do, ("even if it means having to do some kind of menial work for half a year"), you'll do great!

Good luck with your move.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:49 PM

3 posts, read 24,186 times
My husband is 49, finished school for accounting in May. he did IT for AT&T/Lucent/Alkatel for 20 years.

I am all of 39 and have had 2 hip replacements, I am very much mobile. We are in Colorado and the weather with the up and down makes my joints absolutely throb.

We would love to move to Texas. I know there are freezing times there as well as snow on occasion, but it isn't like Colorado where it is normal to have an 80 degree swing in temperature from October-May. Also, you can't score any parts to an AC or evaporative cooler past July in any stores here. If something breaks, you are going to be hot as hell for at least 3 months. After that, you have 3-10 days of fall and move right into winter.

Austin/San Antonio is ideal. We have family there and I just like Texas in general.

Any suggestions for finding an accounting job from about 800 miles away?

Thanks

Old 01-14-2014, 06:57 PM

3 posts, read 24,186 times
Can you tell me where all you applied online? My husband is totally skeptical about finding a job without living in an area and refuses to move without having a job. He is looking for an accounting position with some decent benefits. He just graduated, he is 49 and this is his 2nd career in his life. We have found a lot of people don't want to hire him because of his age.

I can't say as I blame him. At the same time, prospects are slim here in Colorado.

We would really like to get to Austin/San Antonio area to live. I think it would be much easier on my asthma as well as my joints. The high altitude where I am kills my lungs.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:34 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
don't do it!!

Old 01-15-2014, 05:53 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Not "won't"... just damned unlikely to.

You have a pretty good handle on whats needed for moving on without a job

Details vary but the common themes include at least 3 of these four:
1) having some genuine skill that is actually needed where they are going
2) a willingness to do *whatever* they can find until something better comes along
3) having enough CASH on hand to pay ALL of their bills for six months
4) not having any dependents to provide for

You have most of these attributes...
Good list, I'd add not moving to an area where the cost of living is very high.

My husband briefly floated the idea of a transfer to Miami, one of the downsides that we gave serious consideration is that I don't speak any Spanish. My sisters in-laws are all Cuban (mostly white collar) and advised me that not speaking Spanish would really limit my job options in the area we were considering moving to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search