Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,577 times

Advertisements

I think so! Co-workers with kids miss a lot more time then I do. When I do need to take a day off, and it's not due to illness, there's always some grumbling (but hey, I earn my PTO time...so why not use it and lose it at the end of the year?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 09:28 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I think you'd be surprised. If your dog was puking blood, I betcha' your boss would let you leave.

I used to be childless and often thought the same thing. I used to tease the parents I worked with "Man, I can wait to have a kid so I can stay home on snow days, and stay home when my kid is sick." Always joking, never serious. Because: it's so not a big deal. Why does this really bother you? You ARE single. Your schedule IS more flexible.
Raising kids is a lot of work. Cut parents some slack.
I am so sorry you don't have to leave your job early and make sure someone picks up your slack so you can go home and get puked on by your little kid. You poor guy. or waste all your vacation time on snifflers and snow days while your single friends jet off to Mexico every year.
You don't have kids. You can stay a few minutes late to help out. Don't be a jerk. Suck it up. Be a team player. It is appreciated by those that do have kids.
It's not all rainbows and daisies.
hehehehe

Having kids is a lifestyle choice. Why should I have to suck it up because you decided to pump out some tax deductions?

Old 02-14-2013, 09:46 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This thread reminded me of the time a single, childless coworker called that she could not come in because her pet iguana needed a C-section.
!!! This is brilliant! Don't know if it is true or not, but wow! What an excuse! of course, they would have had to take a vacation day, right?

Some advice that's been given to single and/or childless people when asked to stay late/come in on the weekend, is to state that you have plans, and don't budge or elaborate.
"I can't, I have an appointment." (The appointment is at home with my couch and TV, but I don't have to tell YOU that!)

"Sorry, we have plans." (Plans to go antiquing all Saturday.)

"I've got to run out at lunch today--might be a little late getting back." (Macy's is having a sale.)
All very truthful.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
...Having a family is like having a second job. When you go home to your family, it's not all fun and games. ...For a lot of people, it's easier to remain at the job and work rather than go home and take care of the kids. If you ask most people, they will tell you it's easier to remain at work for more hours than go home and fulfill family obligations.
Very true! I've worked with many people who find coming in to work much less stressful than having to deal with the family. More restful, even. And the guys thank their lucky stars that it is usually their wives that have to run out for kids' doctor's appointments, deal with school. They know how lucky they've got it!

One thing to keep in mind: People who will take advantage of you will do it whether or not they have kids. And it's up to YOU to not be taken advantage of by anyone. If you let someone keep pushing you, that's your fault for not dealing with it.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:07 AM

88,504 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
That iguana might be like a child to that childless person.
Possibly. And hey, I personally have no problem with someone needing to take a pet to the vet. But knowing this girl, it was more likely that she was just hungover and couldn't get out of bed. We used to be amused by her "why I am late/out" stories. When she was IN, we could hear her sometimes on the phone calling friends asking if they knew where her car was or how she got home the night before.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
and speaking as a parent, if someone at my office had to cover for me once in awhile, I would absolutely say to that person:
"Hey, man. Thanks for covering for me yesterday. ANYTIME you need to scoot early for any reason, you let me know. I will pay you back".

That's just common courtesy. I think SOME of you complaining about this: just work with a****les. They were that before they had kids, and still are.

Moral: Don't get mad at all us parents because you work with an a******le.

^^^ Exactly.

Someone who has to leave early ALL THE TIME using their kid as an excuse is just using a kid as an excuse. Someone who has gotten a call that their kid broke their arm/is throwing up/fainted in school and needs to leave early has a genuine reason for leaving early.

As far as kids' activities go, that should be planned time off. I used to take planned approved vacation days so I could do certain activities with my daughter's class.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
!!! This is brilliant! Don't know if it is true or not, but wow! What an excuse! of course, they would have had to take a vacation day, right?

Some advice that's been given to single and/or childless people when asked to stay late/come in on the weekend, is to state that you have plans, and don't budge or elaborate.
"I can't, I have an appointment." (The appointment is at home with my couch and TV, but I don't have to tell YOU that!)

"Sorry, we have plans." (Plans to go antiquing all Saturday.)

"I've got to run out at lunch today--might be a little late getting back." (Macy's is having a sale.)
All very truthful.
And worthy reasons!

Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,822,410 times
Yep.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Someone who has to leave early ALL THE TIME using their kid as an excuse is just using a kid as an excuse. Someone who has gotten a call that their kid broke their arm/is throwing up/fainted in school and needs to leave early has a genuine reason for leaving early.
And what about my coworker who had 2 toddlers at home. You could hear her arguing with her nanny on the phone -- it got very heated, and then she fired the nanny. Oh the phone. While her kids were still with the nanny. After she hung up, she realized that she had better get home very quickly! Now that's just plain stupidity!!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:22 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,601,809 times
I do know that when work slows down the childless worker will be laid off first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment