Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:22 PM

19 posts, read 99,990 times

Advertisements

I never use Craigslist to find a job. Half of the postings are scams and the other half are jobs offering very low wages for professionals. I found my actual job through Monster. Indeed and Glassdoor are also great sites to find legit job postings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,491 times
Dear Job Applicant,

The actual position that was advertized has been taken,the only position available is that of a personal assistant.
This sector of General Atlantic acts as a liaison between philanthropists
such as private individuals,corporations and Non Governmental Organizations
and the beneficiaries of such funds such as hospitals orphanage homes and
various other charity institutions.Our role is to receive these funds and forward
them to the appropriate institutions and ensure that the intent for which the
payment is meant for is carried out appropriately.

As my Personal Assistant,your activities amongst other things will
include;

Running personal errands, supervisions and monitoring. Scheduling
programs, flights and keeping me up to date with them.Acting as an
alternative telephone correspondence while I'm away.Making regular contacts
and drop-offs on my behalf. Handling and monitoring some of my financial
activities.

There will be no interview as at this time until my return and this position
will be based on trust and loyalty because you will be working with me directly.
Basic wage is $800 weekly for your part time position,it will be between
7-8hrshrs/week and starts Immediately.

I am sure you will understand I tend to have a very busy schedule at this
point,as I am presently in New Zealand, I will be back in Three Weeks.
Hence,you will begin your office based position immediately i return to the United States.
However i have a lot of pending assignments that need to be handled and
i believe these tasks are simple tasks which you can carry out pending the
time i get back, which enables you familiarize yourself with how General Atlantic
works.
You will be receiving weekly pay checks upon completion of your
weekly assignments.

Upon my return to USA i will set up a formal interview with you and
give you a tour of the Organization and introduce you to specific
individuals you will be working with. Your assignments will include
accepting payments from philanthropist donors on my behalf and purchasing
items required by the beneficiary charity institutions, orphanage homes or
hospitals involved and having the items shipped to them also my personal needs
will be attended to.
If it is a big order then i will give you instructions on how to disburse funds
accordingly.

i need you to fill out your information as requested below, and send it back as a reply to this email so i can print out and include in your file:

Full Names:
Home Address( Not P.O.Box ):
Apt no:
City:
State:
post code :
Cell Phone number:
Home phone number:
Current Occupation:
Email address:

Once your information is submitted and verified, Your Job Position will
be activated and i will give you instructions as to your weekly tasks.

Regards,

Jonathan Korngold MBA
General Atlantic

Same old same...received check for the amount stated. Always post suspect jobs...

Old 04-28-2013, 04:13 AM

339 posts, read 832,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marg78 View Post
I never use Craigslist to find a job. Half of the postings are scams and the other half are jobs offering very low wages for professionals. I found my actual job through Monster. Indeed and Glassdoor are also great sites to find legit job postings.
Yeah I would never look for a job on Craig's List, I love Monster, Snag a Job and Career Builder.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:06 PM

4 posts, read 13,565 times
HELP! i got offered a work from home job. All i do is make checks for company payroll and send them via FedEx. The people on the check list are from al over the world/ how do i know if it is a scam or real. he will pay via pay pal.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:33 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
what was the selection process like for this job? like, did you e-mail them and they immediately offered you a job? or was there an interview?

did you google the company? what did you find? if you want to dm me the name, i can look into it for you if you like.

can you paste some of the correspondence you've received from this person, with any pertinent details removed? there is a certain style of writing that nigerian scammers use that is very distinctive.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:51 PM

No interview, he contacted me regarding my resume post.

Craiglist:

Hello,

Makes deliveries and pickups as required. This is an opportunity for anyone interested in a flexible, part-time position working some weekdays and occasional Saturday mornings. Email with your phone and personal email address.

Regards,
Timothy Decent
856-556-0283

AFTER I REPLIED.

cRAIGLIST:
Hello,

Thank you for your reply and interest in my part time errand job. Here's a brief description about the available position. All you need to do it prepare check payment payrol and drop them off via a FEDEX Courier. You would be trained on how to do that in just less than few minutes and i am sure you are going to have a better understanding of it.

The start up material will cost you $24 and the money will be used for check paper purchase at officedepot near you. No upfront payment and your bi-weekly salary is $400.

This is something you'll enjoy doing and you earn a good pay. The pay is $400 bi-weekly. To apply for this job you must have a working computer with a good printer at home.

It's a private business and due to my holiday to Paris with my family, I will need someone like you to run the errands effectively.
Regards,
Tim

Old 05-21-2013, 01:53 PM

He just sent me this:

Kim,

You have failed to answer your phone. I will request you provide to me both your Home and Cell phone numbers. The material you are to get are listed below:

1. Business Size Check Paper ($24 for a pack at Officedepot)
2. FedEx Envelopes
3. FedEx Airway bills

You can get enough of the envelopes and airway bills as many as you can pick up. I wait your reply with the both phone numbers as requested.

Thank you,
Tim

Old 05-21-2013, 02:00 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
that sounds extremely sketchy. i would run away. no one is just going to hire someone based on a resume. and this is exactly the kind of "job" that scammers post. and he seems to be asking you for money? RED FLAG.

also, i just googled the name timothy decent and it has been used in scam job posts in the past.

the herman letters: Post # 142 - War on Spam: Timothy Decent and the Society of the Secret Shopper - 4/14/2010

Old 05-21-2013, 02:03 PM

thank you so much appreciate it

Old 05-21-2013, 02:09 PM

503 posts, read 1,171,915 times
Not only are there several job scams but there are several "pyramid scheme" jobs disguised as cozy stable office jobs as well. Rental scams are becoming extremely popular as well. It feels like unless you "know somebody", relocating and finding a new job these days can end up being a multi-thousand dollar scam leaving you on the streets completely destitute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search