Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Take the old job for less money, it's a good place to work. 7 70.00%
Shoot for the new job with substantially more money. 1 10.00%
Ignore the new offer completely, don't even chase it. 0 0%
Explore the new offer, see what happens? 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:21 AM

11 posts, read 23,842 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I have a dilemma and would like some opinions pro and con.

Here's the facts:

1. Been stuck at a stable yet stressful and unfullfilling job for 6 years.
2. Been talking with a past employer to bring me back for 1.5 years but due to a variety of reasons hasn't worked out until now.
3. In the mean time I was searching elsewhere but nothing panned out over the last couple of years.
4. In the mean time Old Employer this week informed me they are ready and will pull the trigger in the next few days.
5. Out of the blue a recruiter i work with puts a job in my sights that is effectively a 100% match.

6. Old employer is small, I would be his number 1 man. He is splitting off his company and going to try to grow but this may take a long time. Has a few projects lined up. The old employer and I get a long great, no stress, no drama, near perfect boss, "only" 40 hours expected, decent salary. This would be my 3rd time back at this company. Both times before I loved my work and it never felt like work at all but left for ambition, prestige, perks, money, etc.

7. The new position offered is with a large company but not a national. The salary range is substantially larger that of the old Employer possibly 62% more salary. With that I assume is more stress, more hours, corporate culture, red tape. But more room for advancement, much more salary and bonus, might be much more stimulating as bigger projects, much larger work work force for interaction not just one guy. But unknown culture, management, boss, etc.

So this comes at the worst possible time, even though it appears to be a good dilemma to have. My old employer is going to call in the next 2 days and say come on back (finally) after 1.5 years of talking. then this new thing pops up with a huge salary increase but also possible a corresponding huge stress/responsiblity increase.

My immediate plan is to at the very least check out this new position. But what if it is as good as it sounds? Do I chase it? If I get it and reject the offer from my old employer, that is a bridge burnt. I would never be able to go back to what I know is a very very good work environment. One that even though I have been employed at 6 other companies, have never been as happy as I was there. It could be that this new offer comes form a great company and i'd love it as much as the old company but it is a gamble.

Lastly if I go back for a third time I essentially feel I'm there for the long run. I could not possibly conceive of why I would leave again. The position has good life balance and with 2 little kids at home thats' valuable. But on the other hand having 62% more salary will help with their future college payments among all the other benefits of having no worries over money.

What would you do in this situation? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 10:27 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times
That's a ton of money to consider over a possibility of more stress - you don't even know if that's the case, right? Have you tried looking at glassdoor reviews, etc. (not the greatest source, bu can help a little), do you have any contacts at the higher paying job to provide some input?

Commute times, etc. should be a consideration as well.

Personally, I'd opt for the position that would allow for the greatest combination of pay/work-life balance/opportunity. In this case (assuming commute times are similar), I'd opt for the raise and take the challenge. Who knows, it may actually be less stress?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Do you even have an OFFER at the big company? Or is this simply a recruiter wanting to submit you (and then go through interview process)? NEVER EVER turn down a firm job offer over a POSSIBLE position that you are being submitted for or for one that you are being interviewed for.

Your first company is a Bird in the Hand. Take it

the high stress job is something that might (but probably won't) happen.

IF you turn down the job with old company, it is highly likely that the high stress job will NOT be come to fruition. There are still others to compete with. You don't even know if they like your resume.

You could always go forward with both to see if you get an interview for the high stress job. IF/WHEN you get an offer, you then worry about what to do.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:06 AM

Thanks Ez,

I tried Glassdoor, no reviews on this particular company, unfortunately. I probably could find some insight from my network of people. I'm all for taking a risk and going for the bigger salary, and you are right it could be less or equivalent stress.

Here's my biggest concern. The old employer is like family I'd hate to burn that bridge. My work is very much a niche, there are not very many local companies that do it and i am high enough that this level position is a rarity. If I end up not liking the bigger company and I burned that old bridge I would be out of luck locally. It would be very difficult to find something similar, in essence my "fallback" will be gone and I (paranoid) see myself going form company to company in an endless search for the right fit. My industry tends toward high stress and difficult personalities.

In the recent past I've experienced burn out. Was overly stressed and really performing poorly at both work and home. Part of me is concerned a high stress environment would put me back into burn out mode. The lower stress job at the old company is like putting on your favorite slippers.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:16 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Always always always explore new offers. Right now, you don't have enough info to make a decision.
If your old employer is like an old family friend, he'd be willing to wait. If he takes offense that you are considering another opportunity, he isn't what you thought he was.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:34 AM

Sware2, you are correct this is just at the recruiter stage. However, from past experience and seeing the qualifications requested I have a strong feeling that I would at least get an interview and would likely be a strong contender, but you are absolutely right that there is heavy competition for this and I have no guarantees. So good point on that.

So it comes down to if I accept the bird in hand and move over, should I even tempt myself with this other thing? My industry is small and that kind of move would possibly bite me in the future.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:38 AM

273 posts, read 1,061,266 times
you keep searching for something you cannot find. go back to your old job, live a happy life day to day. the search is never ending. if (and most probably) this job is dismal, you will be back here once again doing a survey and thread. stick to what worked and works and gives you life work balance. no one cares what you achieved or how wealthy you are. make yourself happy for your own sake. don't buy into what media or family friends sell you.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:42 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times
If it's just at the recruiter stage, I don't know how much I'd trust it - unless you know the recruiter well.

Tough call - might be worth having a conversation with your old boss just to keep things on the up and up.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:53 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PUCKLINY View Post
Sware2, you are correct this is just at the recruiter stage. However, from past experience and seeing the qualifications requested I have a strong feeling that I would at least get an interview and would likely be a strong contender, but you are absolutely right that there is heavy competition for this and I have no guarantees. So good point on that.

So it comes down to if I accept the bird in hand and move over, should I even tempt myself with this other thing? My industry is small and that kind of move would possibly bite me in the future.
Go forward with being submitted to the high stress job. Go through the interviews. See where it takes you. IF you get an offer, you will know more at that time of whether to take it.

Realize at this point, the old job has not made a formal offer either.

At this point, you have 2 job prospects and zero offers. Go forward with them both.

If you get one job offer, take it. If the 2nd one later offers, then you can consider whether to take it at that time. It is highly unlikely this scenario occurs so don't spend too much time thinking about it. If it does occur, you will have much more info to make a decision later.

Go forward with both job PROSPECTS. Don't tell the family friend about the other opportunity. He doesn't need to know at this point. It's premature.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:59 AM

Ez,

I would hate to even bring this up with my old employer, we've been talking a year and a half and we are both happy that's its finally happening. To bring it up doesn't feel right (like I'm working him for more money) and as you say I don't have a sense of the other thing yet, it might be real or not. I like sware's advice take the bird in hand then figure the new situation. One day at time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment