Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 09:40 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times

Advertisements

Useless bums and psychopaths almost always keep their jobs, while skilled workers are let go. Part of it is connections - the bum is probably related to somebody or has his head buried so far up management's rear that he can't see daylight. Some of it political correctness BS - "oh, we all know Joe Shmoe is useless, but that's just the way it is and we shouldn't say anything." And the rest of it is pure stupidity.

Some of the "stellar" employees at my former place of employment - all of whom have survived 3 major layoffs and 1 minor one in the past 2.5 years - included:

1) The guy I sat next to for about 8 years who came to work 2 hours late, took a 2 hour lunch, and left with everyone else. He never answered his phone, never read his email, and was almost never able to be found. When people did catch him, he would flat-out refuse to do his job. It got so bad that he delayed the release of an entire drawing package for a major program by about a year and management actually assigned somebody to keep track of this clown's location full-time. Of course, he still works there... and he wasn't even related to anyone in power from what I could tell.

2) A "senior mechanical engineer" who lacked any useful technical skills and who's entire CAD ability was limited to drawing unrealistic nonsense in AutoCAD, which wasn't even the tool the company demanded we use. He spent most of his time lying about his accomplishments, blaming others for his failures, and launching into screaming fits in meetings.

3) A knife-wielding lunatic manager who physically threatened several employees on numerous occasions. We were all told to "deal with it" because "that's the way he is." He retired with honors from his management position several years ago.

4) A ranting nutjob who spends all day spewing profanity and insulting everyone around him. While technically skilled - in theory - he made it his lifelong goal to sabotage the work of everyone around him by giving them bad information or refusing to help them. He found this "funny." Eventually banished to a corner and even suspended from work for a month after he abruptly flew home in the middle of a week-long business trip after telling a VP to fornicate himself... and yet nobody is willing to get rid of the guy.

5) A man-rat hybrid who has spend his entire career working on top secret programs that have no schedule, no budget, no deliverables, and which refuse to follow the laws of physics. In the brief time I worked with him, he proved to not only be useless but actively malicious as well, since he tried to set me up to take the blame for his failed program. On numerous occasions, he made it clear to everyone that he "likes to watch people suffer." and has the personality of an animal torturer. Naturally, he's still employed there.

6) The son of a VP (no surprise there) who vandalized the office of a rival while he was on vacation. He installed a toilet and drywall in the office, wrote profanity on the walls, and completely trashed the place. This was done on the company dollar, too, but who cares since he's the son of a VP. Nothing was done, of course.

7) A VP who was arrested in October of 2010 for destroying nearly $10,000 of private property since he disagreed with the political beliefs of other people. Despite this, he kept his job and his pay, though he might have received a slap on the wrist "demotion."

8) A manager who truly believed that the laws of physics could be changed by screaming at them and at the engineers working on the program. When the program was proven to violate the laws of physics, he worked to oust the senior analyst that revealed this fact to the team. Promoted for his skills and efforts, of course.

The list could go on and on...

Point being that useless people seem to have no problems finding and keeping jobs in this nation. If they are good looking, related to or buddies with somebody in power, or just crazy enough to scare people into not getting rid of them. The honest workers are the ones who get the shaft in these situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 02:45 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Useless bums and psychopaths almost always keep their jobs, while skilled workers are let go. Part of it is connections - the bum is probably related to somebody or has his head buried so far up management's rear that he can't see daylight. Some of it political correctness BS - "oh, we all know Joe Shmoe is useless, but that's just the way it is and we shouldn't say anything." And the rest of it is pure stupidity.

Some of the "stellar" employees at my former place of employment - all of whom have survived 3 major layoffs and 1 minor one in the past 2.5 years - included:

1) The guy I sat next to for about 8 years who came to work 2 hours late, took a 2 hour lunch, and left with everyone else. He never answered his phone, never read his email, and was almost never able to be found. When people did catch him, he would flat-out refuse to do his job. It got so bad that he delayed the release of an entire drawing package for a major program by about a year and management actually assigned somebody to keep track of this clown's location full-time. Of course, he still works there... and he wasn't even related to anyone in power from what I could tell.

2) A "senior mechanical engineer" who lacked any useful technical skills and who's entire CAD ability was limited to drawing unrealistic nonsense in AutoCAD, which wasn't even the tool the company demanded we use. He spent most of his time lying about his accomplishments, blaming others for his failures, and launching into screaming fits in meetings.

3) A knife-wielding lunatic manager who physically threatened several employees on numerous occasions. We were all told to "deal with it" because "that's the way he is." He retired with honors from his management position several years ago.

4) A ranting nutjob who spends all day spewing profanity and insulting everyone around him. While technically skilled - in theory - he made it his lifelong goal to sabotage the work of everyone around him by giving them bad information or refusing to help them. He found this "funny." Eventually banished to a corner and even suspended from work for a month after he abruptly flew home in the middle of a week-long business trip after telling a VP to fornicate himself... and yet nobody is willing to get rid of the guy.

5) A man-rat hybrid who has spend his entire career working on top secret programs that have no schedule, no budget, no deliverables, and which refuse to follow the laws of physics. In the brief time I worked with him, he proved to not only be useless but actively malicious as well, since he tried to set me up to take the blame for his failed program. On numerous occasions, he made it clear to everyone that he "likes to watch people suffer." and has the personality of an animal torturer. Naturally, he's still employed there.

6) The son of a VP (no surprise there) who vandalized the office of a rival while he was on vacation. He installed a toilet and drywall in the office, wrote profanity on the walls, and completely trashed the place. This was done on the company dollar, too, but who cares since he's the son of a VP. Nothing was done, of course.

7) A VP who was arrested in October of 2010 for destroying nearly $10,000 of private property since he disagreed with the political beliefs of other people. Despite this, he kept his job and his pay, though he might have received a slap on the wrist "demotion."

8) A manager who truly believed that the laws of physics could be changed by screaming at them and at the engineers working on the program. When the program was proven to violate the laws of physics, he worked to oust the senior analyst that revealed this fact to the team. Promoted for his skills and efforts, of course.

Point being that useless people seem to have no problems finding and keeping jobs in this nation. If they are good looking, related to or buddies with somebody in power, or just crazy enough to scare people into not getting rid of them. The honest workers are the ones who get the shaft in these situations.
That is scary what you went through; the OP has almost as nasty a coworker. I don't understand the hostility towards the OP on this thread. A lot of people are just plain nasty to begin with and won't respect the boundaries of others. Management that tolerates this crap is no better.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:03 PM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
That is scary what you went through; the OP has almost as nasty a coworker. I don't understand the hostility towards the OP on this thread. A lot of people are just plain nasty to begin with and won't respect the boundaries of others. Management that tolerates this crap is no better.
Because she brought in things that have absolutely no bearing on his work performance such as owning and shooting firearms and his weight (that's assuming it's a desk job).

If weight is a disqualifying condition then most of the population would be unemployed. If owning firearms is disqualifying then you need send layoff notices to most of Pennsylvania.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:58 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,393,736 times
Quote:

#3 was my favorite. LOL literally. Thanks!

Old 03-03-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Because she brought in things that have absolutely no bearing on his work performance such as owning and shooting firearms and his weight (that's assuming it's a desk job).

If weight is a disqualifying condition then most of the population would be unemployed. If owning firearms is disqualifying then you need send layoff notices to most of Pennsylvania.
My entire family in Ohio would be laid off as well...along with the rest of the state.

And, you are correct, OP was really out of line with the issues presented about the employee. And, it shows that the OP is REALLY focused on finding things wrong with him...

Old 03-03-2013, 01:16 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Agree. As I said in my post, she is obsessing about him and quite possibly creating her own problem.
Exactly. He grosses her out but yet she knows all about his sexual conquests and mentions that 50 Shades of Gray book....LOL.

How do you know so much about a coworker unless you talk to them about stuff like that? Who he is dating, his financial issues, that he goes hunting with a woman he met online, etc.

If you're that offended you walk away and tune them out when they talk like that.

And it sounds like everyone has their own accounts, no mention of having to pick up extra work due to Hank being a slacker.

Mind your own business.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:24 AM

Going to take me a minute to get over that first sentence.

And, my family in Ohio hunt...and I am not sure who they hunt with! How in the world does she know so much about this guy????

Old 03-03-2013, 05:44 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I work in a department where we are each given a certain number of accounts to reconcile each month. Our department has 7 people total.

One of these people (I will call him HANK) is one of the laziest human beings I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Hank is obese - 400 lbs, smokes cigarettes, chews tobacco (at his desk) and spits it into a plastic soda bottle, and is out sick at least 1 day a month claiming "his ulcer is acting up".

His wife kicked him out last June claiming abuse and got a restraining order against him. So did her parents, with whom she is now living. They have 2 kids.

He also loves to hunt and has guns.

The divorce proceedings are quite trecherous since the "ex" is trying to get him for every dime she possibly can, which in itself it rediculous because he makes about 40k per year.

He is so hard up for money, that his parents are paying some of his bills.

Hank was sending perverted text messages to another co-worker, but she was too afraid to report him but eventually got him to stop by saying she had a boyfriend.

He recently met someone on match dot com and so he seems happy in the relationship department again. She likes to hunt too so they are quite a great pair.

Every time he is out sick, it's either his ulcer or he has food poisoning. He is out at least 1 day a month.

He is allowed to do some work at home but I highly suspect that he is doing as much as he says.

He never finishes his accounts - EVER.

Hank lost a big account because of sloppy work. The customer even said it was the worst they had ever seen and had to hire an outside person to correct the job that Hank did.

We all suspect he is on probation bc he has been called into meeting with the dept managers. From what I understand, they are trying to "bring him back around".

He works from 9 to 4 and says it's because he doesn't take lunch. Yet I see him take his 10 minutes cigarette breaks and he still eats lunch at his desk and reads the news.

The other day, I caught him picking his nose with such vigor you would think he was digging for gold.

I can't stand this guy. It makes me feel like my working hard is just a waste of time b/c I could work like him and still get paid.

I don't wish anyone to lose their job, I've been through a long layoff myself, but this guy is so gross and lazy and even kind of scary, that I just feel angry that he still has his job.

I know I can't change anything, but any one have advice on how to "deal" with a lazy, perverted co-worker?
yeah. I wish they'd fire people who sucked too sometimes, but that's life in the big city my friend. Sometimes you can suck and get away with it.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:50 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
Does your work have a tobacco free workplace policy? Those usually prohibit chewing tobacco also so that might be something to look into.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:31 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,171 times
Quote:

Wow! I thought I had it bad but this takes the cake! I guess this just proves that it happens everywhere.

Regarding how I pointed out stuff about Hank that had no bearing on his work, I was just trying to draw a picture of him. I never asked him about his dating life, he told my whole department (all women) one morning what a girl he was dating said to him.

He got his last warning last Friday. He had to clean up his desk, put away the chewing tobacco, and put in 8 hours of work. So no more coming in late and leaving early. Our department did so well last month, we all got a 1/2 day off on Friday but Hank had to stay and work b/c he did not contribute to our success. Management is aware of him and trying to get him back "into line". They are watching him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment