Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:02 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,458 times

Advertisements

Boss: Don't be afraid to ask questions. We'd rather you come to us with your questions and get it right so we don't have to sort through any messes down the road.

Asks questions, boss criticizes you for not critically thinking and figuring things out on your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 09:14 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Boss: Don't be afraid to ask questions. We'd rather you come to us with your questions and get it right so we don't have to sort through any messes down the road.

Asks questions, boss criticizes you for not critically thinking and figuring things out on your own.
Not all bosses. My former boss would criticize me sometimes when I would be proactive and try to figure something out on my own instead of coming to him about it.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:40 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
Not all bosses. My former boss would criticize me sometimes when I would be proactive and try to figure something out on my own instead of coming to him about it.
I guess it's best to remind yourself that they are as imperfect a human being as us.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:43 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,667 times
Talking to me. That's pretty annoying. Just approve the time card, FFS.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:51 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,543 times
Where do I begin:
-Micromanage the crap out of me
-Double check and change my emails by adding phrases that look like they were written by a kindergartner (Boss is Iranian but has been in the US for 30 years and still cant write proper English)
-Constantly ask what our clients said, word for word
-Tell me how to live my personal life
-Make me use personal time to study for certifications that will benefit him but not me
-Not keep track of my vacation time then have the gall to question me when I want to take some time off
-Question me as to how sick I really was when I call in sick, even though I only do it about twice a year
-Act pushy and rude towards clients
-Refuse to add required documents to proposals then blame me for our company not winning the job
-Not offer health insurance
-Use fear tactics to get clients to comply with environmental regulations thereby getting us more work and more money from them
-Worst breath ever!!!!!!!!!!! but likes to have lots of face to face meetings
-Treats everyone like crap then wonders why our smartest and brightest go to other firms without even providing us with two weeks notice

Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I guess it's best to remind yourself that they are as imperfect a human being as us.
No, this is an attorney we're talking about. He believes that his middle name is "Perfection"!!

Old 02-21-2013, 11:07 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I assumed from your post you were talking about lawyers. Ah, lawyers and phone calls.
Lawyers = liars, just mispronounced.

I was at a court reporting agency. These buggers lied day in and day out.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Where do I begin:
-Micromanage the crap out of me
-Double check and change my emails by adding phrases that look like they were written by a kindergartner (Boss is Iranian but has been in the US for 30 years and still cant write proper English)
-Constantly ask what our clients said, word for word
-Tell me how to live my personal life (This wouldn't last but about 10 seconds with me....)
-Make me use personal time to study for certifications that will benefit him but not me (Not unless you're being paid for the time. If not, don't do it.)
-Not keep track of my vacation time then have the gall to question me when I want to take some time off
-Question me as to how sick I really was when I call in sick, even though I only do it about twice a year (Another one that wouldn't last 10 seconds.....that is none of his business. He's been in this country long enough to know about privacy laws.)
-Act pushy and rude towards clients
-Refuse to add required documents to proposals then blame me for our company not winning the job
-Not offer health insurance
-Use fear tactics to get clients to comply with environmental regulations thereby getting us more work and more money from them
-Worst breath ever!!!!!!!!!!! but likes to have lots of face to face meetings
-Treats everyone like crap then wonders why our smartest and brightest go to other firms without even providing us with two weeks notice
Fortunately, not all Middle Eastern men are this way. However, I discovered from working with men from Iran, Iraq and Egypt in my former job, that "most" (not all) of them who are in a high position with a company or who own the company behave the way your boss does. Regardless of how long they've been in the USA and exposed to the protocol here, I believe it's ingrained in them. They can be very disrespectful and condescending, especially toward women.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:49 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,255 times
lie for sure.
I was written up for "insubordination" for being "30" minutes late. Supposed to be in at 9, was there at 9:09, as soon as I walked in my boss said I want to speak with you in my office. I get in there, it's now 9:23... and she said I was a half hour late...
Also, I had to go to another office to take care of something, and when I got back she asked how it went. I told her. On the report she said that she had to wait until the next day to find out how it went from the client.
Prior to going to the other office, I thought the meeting was in the office I was currently at. Paraphrasing she said, hey, it's at the other office, get there now. So I grabbed my stuff, and got a cab and got there as fast as I could. She said that I acted like I didn't care, and didn't show any initiative to get there.
There was another thing that she lied about on the report too. But basically everything on there was not true.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:28 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
Lord I think you and I may have worked for the same small business. Had this been legal and not medical, I would have been absolutely sure we worked together!!

Sorry career women- turned moms- turned back to career women...I blame the burning bra era - feminism was a big joke on you. You can't "have it all" plus a well balanced life and your sanity - there aren't enough hours in the day.

I think my favorite of this crazy broad was the fact that she and her uhh...'male friend' used to call the office to test me. How many rings did the phone get before I answered it?

See, because 1 ring = we're too anxious and look desperate; 3 rings meant we just don't care about the customer; could you try for 1.5 rings? 2 at worst?

I was alone in this office. She and her asshat friend would call the office phone from the golf course or wherever they were and when I would say 'Good Morning, [the name of the business]...' her reply would be "2 rings" and hang up. She (and he) would count rings, say the number and hang up.

NUTS.
OMG! She and asshat friend would have ended up in my car trunk. Seriously!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment