Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 02:35 PM

831 posts, read 1,964,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
OMG! She and asshat friend would have ended up in my car trunk. Seriously!
She and I had words, believe me.

She ended up putting her horrid son in charge of her business. I'm going to guess it's because there was no one left on the planet that was unaware of her antics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 05:06 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
The job function of a manager is simply to manage resources, of which people are one type. This means making sure the right kind and amount of resources are allocated to the different areas that demand attention. This is truly the limit of power that a manager ought to have. But some bosses don't know what their job is, and instead of trying to efficiently allocate resources, they think their job is to be domineering or a slave-driver, bully their employees, or whatever.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:32 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
How about supervisors that are so micromanaging that they want to take your work away from you and do it themselves? Sometimes this is because they don't have enough work of their own. I worked for a mental health facility, and my chief job was as a transcriptionist. The tapes and files would be placed in my "IN" box, and I'd have them completed within a day's time. This particular supervisor seemed fixated on the number of tapes I had - even though she frequently stated how amazed she was at how fast I completed them. If I had three or more tapes in my box, she'd consider me "behind" and want to do them herself, leaving me with nothing to do the rest of the day...until, of course, her reports would come back to me for corrections (there were many). She enjoyed doing those transcription tapes (she often said she could "do them all day"), so I could never understand what I was hired for.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
How about supervisors that are so micromanaging that they want to take your work away from you and do it themselves?
That's awesome

Old 02-22-2013, 08:02 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,590 times
Quote:
How about supervisors that are so micromanaging that they want to take your work away from you and do it themselves? Sometimes this is because they don't have enough work of their own. I worked for a mental health facility, and my chief job was as a transcriptionist. The tapes and files would be placed in my "IN" box, and I'd have them completed within a day's time. This particular supervisor seemed fixated on the number of tapes I had - even though she frequently stated how amazed she was at how fast I completed them. If I had three or more tapes in my box, she'd consider me "behind" and want to do them herself, leaving me with nothing to do the rest of the day...until, of course, her reports would come back to me for corrections (there were many). She enjoyed doing those transcription tapes (she often said she could "do them all day"), so I could never understand what I was hired for.
I've been going through something similar at the temp job I'm at now. I was brought in to help the manager transition properties to the new owners of the company. In the almost 3 months that I've been here, I've probably had 2 weeks worth of actual work, and that is combined from many, many days. So many of the tasks that I thought I would handle, he's handled instead. I've often wondered why I'm there.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Relevant to the conversation:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&type=1&ref=nf

LOL!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:46 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
I've been going through something similar at the temp job I'm at now. I was brought in to help the manager transition properties to the new owners of the company. In the almost 3 months that I've been here, I've probably had 2 weeks worth of actual work, and that is combined from many, many days. So many of the tasks that I thought I would handle, he's handled instead. I've often wondered why I'm there.
The place definitely had MORE help than it actually needed, and definitely more supervisors/managers than it actually needed. There were only two of us in this particular department, and our supervisor didn't seem to have anything to do except attend meetings and micromanage us. We actually spent more time on that job trying to look busy than we did doing any real work. Once, in search of finding me something to do (after she'd completed my tapes), said supervisor had me assist the scheduling secretary in calling clients to set appointments. She later checked the calls made from my desk against the phone bill (because my job didn't entail being on the phone) and red flagged the long list of calls I'd made that day. I was accused of making personal phone calls on work time, plus given a bill for the so-called "personal" toll calls I'd made. Then her supervisor, the fiscal department, personnel...all got involved. It was like I was accused of stealing drugs or something. The phone numbers belonged to patients...and who was it had me make the calls? I had to go through the list, coordinate patients' names with the numbers, and prove it.

The next week, I got in to work late one morning because of a doctor's appointment, to find three voice mail messages from her about there being THREE tapes in my bin, and why didn't I let her know I was so behind?!? She knew I had the doctor's appointment and I was not at all behind. Three tapes were nothing to me, and she knew it...I could have them done in less than two hours. That was the beginning of the end...I found another job fast. My replacement quit after one day, I heard. Having the supervisor literally up her a** every move she made really got on her nerves and she had less patience for it than I did.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:20 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,590 times
Quote:
The place definitely had MORE help than it actually needed, and definitely more supervisors/managers than it actually needed. There were only two of us in this particular department, and our supervisor didn't seem to have anything to do except attend meetings and micromanage us. We actually spent more time on that job trying to look busy than we did doing any real work. Once, in search of finding me something to do (after she'd completed my tapes), said supervisor had me assist the scheduling secretary in calling clients to set appointments. She later checked the calls made from my desk against the phone bill (because my job didn't entail being on the phone) and red flagged the long list of calls I'd made that day. I was accused of making personal phone calls on work time, plus given a bill for the so-called "personal" toll calls I'd made. Then her supervisor, the fiscal department, personnel...all got involved. It was like I was accused of stealing drugs or something. The phone numbers belonged to patients...and who was it had me make the calls? I had to go through the list, coordinate patients' names with the numbers, and prove it.

The next week, I got in to work late one morning because of a doctor's appointment, to find three voice mail messages from her about there being THREE tapes in my bin, and why didn't I let her know I was so behind?!? She knew I had the doctor's appointment and I was not at all behind. Three tapes were nothing to me, and she knew it...I could have them done in less than two hours. That was the beginning of the end...I found another job fast. My replacement quit after one day, I heard. Having the supervisor literally up her a** every move she made really got on her nerves and she had less patience for it than I did.
Sounds like this "supervisor" was really in no position to be a supervisor at all. Unfortunately, my situation is totally opposite. I can go all day and never hear a word from my manager. I know that I've sat in my cubicle day after day literally listening to the clock tick. There is just so much busy work I can do considering the company will be moving in a week, and I really know nothing about procedure. I was brought in to assist with clerical work, and that has been very sparse.

If I didn't have my tablet with me, I don't know what I'd do!!

Old 02-22-2013, 01:47 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,988 times
Default I have another, happened today

Someone in the field tries to rat you out and imply that you aren't doing something you should be doing while the fact is that you have been trying to get something done, but can't get a response out of the person in the field who ignores his phone calls and email.

Field worker sends nasty gram to your boss criticizing your work ethic.

Instead of your boss calling you to see what's going on and to get your side of the story, takes field worker's critical email at face value and sends you a reminder of what you should be doing.

Just a total lack of management skill.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:09 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I actually have 4 really good bosses. (father - son) / (father - daughter) Even on their worst days they are all still one billion percent better than most bosses.

we all get along very well here, and the bosses eat lunch with us, no one here is snootie at all.

I like them all very much....i just wish they would give us more vacation - sick days off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment