Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 11:55 AM

560 posts, read 1,548,710 times

Advertisements

Are there any federal employees on this forum? Are you all worried?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 06:14 PM

29,813 posts, read 24,891,001 times
They'll just add some more juice to the printing press and devalue the dollar even further. We'll all be making half in terms of real monetary value, but they figure we're too stupid to figure that out. Frogs in the slowly boiling water we are...

Worst case scenario, there's always Obamaphones, Obama stamps and I think there's a federal program where you can receive unicorns and pixie dust.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:09 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
Are there any federal employees on this forum? Are you all worried?
Living in the DC area and having a mother who works for DOD I do have a dog in this fight. My mother I'm not worried about since she has a military pension and disability to fall back on and she don't have many bills. I work at a credit union that supports mainly federal employees at particular agencies. I think my collections department may see an uptick in business with the smaller paychecks.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:27 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,930,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Living in the DC area and having a mother who works for DOD I do have a dog in this fight. My mother I'm not worried about since she has a military pension and disability to fall back on and she don't have many bills. I work at a credit union that supports mainly federal employees at particular agencies. I think my collections department may see an uptick in business with the smaller paychecks.
And the last time this happened didn't federal employees get back pay once the dispute was settled?

If you were smart and have some money in the bank, not a huge amount just two to three months take home pay, it will be as if you get a paid vacation of several months. And is there unemployment in the mix? That would be sweet!

Imagine if your employer told you "I got to lay you off for three months but when you come back I will pay three months back pay and in the meantime you can collect unemployment".

Sweet just got sweeter!

OK, lets all cry a river for federal employees.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:30 AM

5,157 posts, read 6,129,481 times
There has always been last minute reprieves for this sort of thing in the past........this time I believe it will be different. For one thing we really do not have the funds to prolong the inevitable, for the second, there is a widespread animosity in congress that has not been this bad in years.

I try to stay away from politics as people get so emotional in their beliefs and ideas on who is to blame, both sides get the honors this time and it is not going to be pretty.

This has been boiling for the last three years and many of those in civil service were bewildered as to why cutbacks were not set in place several years back to alleviate what is about to happen. In the 90's we had BRAC and 10% across the board cuts........congress should have been trimming several years ago.

My advice prepare for the worst......as I think this has a good chance of happening.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
And the last time this happened didn't federal employees get back pay once the dispute was settled?

If you were smart and have some money in the bank, not a huge amount just two to three months take home pay, it will be as if you get a paid vacation of several months. And is there unemployment in the mix? That would be sweet!

Imagine if your employer told you "I got to lay you off for three months but when you come back I will pay three months back pay and in the meantime you can collect unemployment".

Sweet just got sweeter!

OK, lets all cry a river for federal employees.
If this happens it will mean one day off a week for 22 weeks. They will not be able to collect unemployment and the way this is playing out they will not receive back pay. Whether they deserve to lose the money or not a 20% reduction in pay for the minimum of 750k employees is pretty devastating for those employees.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:28 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,320 times
You know damn well this is not going to happen. There will be a last minute, half assed bill that does absolutely nothing to solve the crisis. it will just kick the can further down the road.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:00 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,763,534 times
We were told last week to basically expect 22 days less pay for the year IF sequestration goes through.

"Probably" one day a week, depending on when they start the furloughs.

I'm deathly afraid of any RIF action since I'm a new Fed and do not have any veteran's preference, although I have great reviews. If a 22 day furlough means no RIF, lets do it.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:21 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,449,871 times
Ya know, it is all so very stupid.

There are those of us (and I am one!) that volunteered for "early retirement" as spring, and I volunteered to retire even WITHOUT the 25K buyout offer....and did not get it.

IF they would REALLY ask and let those of us that are in the position to retire early, and then let us DO IT, we could save some of those jobs for those raising kids or single income that can't afford this time off.

I am blessed in that we are in the position that if they would allow it, I could take a month off and save some of my coworkers who would have a HORRIBLE time trying to take the pay cut by "taking time off in their place"...but that makes WAY to much sense to be an option.

My perdiction is that we hit sequistration on 1 March, but the required 60 day notice before layoff is where things get ironed ou (at the last moment of course) and we continue kicking this can down the road and printing money like it is meaningful or something....

Funny how he seemed to get it as a Senator and is so clueless as President....

"America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit."

-- Sen. Barack Obama, March 16, 2006

Old 02-18-2013, 12:36 PM

Administrative furlough notices are somewhat different than RIF notices and shortly after March 1, 2013 if no action has been taken to stop the furloughs you should be receiving an SF-50 for the furlough action.

There is no bright side to this other than the fact both sides of congress wish to lower the ranks of civil service employees through attrition only. There is talk of another round of BRAC talks for 2014.

As mentioned congress could sign a fix last minute as they always do.........but the can has been kicked as far as it can possibly go lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment