Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 02:30 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie1000 View Post
Things I Detest About Being an Administrative Assistant
Treated like a combination maid/errand girl.
Always planning the parties/lunches/celebrations, but never getting to enjoy them because I am (a) too busy coordinating and overseeing the event or (b) I am not invited to participate. (I just got to plan it.)
The complete lack of privacy. I have co-workers, bosses and execuytives who feel they can rummage through my desk and my files anytime they need office supplies of any sort. I had one guy who was particularly guilty of this, so I strategically placed some feminine products where they would fall out of the desk drawer when he opened it.
Fixing the copier always falls under my purview
If my boss is late, I am considered the one who dropped the ball.
There is no room for advancement. I are stuck in administrative work and always will be.
In smaller companies, I am responsible for anwering all the phone calls which is very distracting.
Interruptions are numerous and my time is not respected.
Where I live Administrative Assistants make $8.50 a hour, one step up from the "receptionist" and pretty far down on the totem pole. You always have the option of getting a different job if you really detest it that much. You sound very intelligent from your post, surely you can find something better.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 12:45 AM

874 posts, read 1,659,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
That's why they call it work. If it was supposed to be fun, they'd call it fun instead of work.
I don't think the OP (or anyone else for that matter) was lamenting the lack of fun they were having on the job.

I think all that was being asked for was a little respect and some time to rant/vent.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:37 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie1000 View Post
Things I Detest About Being an Administrative Assistant
Treated like a combination maid/errand girl. *** Add to this: waitress ***
Always planning the parties/lunches/celebrations, but never getting to enjoy them because I am (a) too busy coordinating and overseeing the event or (b) I am not invited to participate. (I just got to plan it.) *** Add to this: enduring dozens of complaints about something not being right or the food wasn't good, etc. ***
The complete lack of privacy. I have co-workers, bosses and execuytives who feel they can rummage through my desk and my files anytime they need office supplies of any sort. I had one guy who was particularly guilty of this, so I strategically placed some feminine products where they would fall out of the desk drawer when he opened it. *** This was BRILLIANT!!! ***
Fixing the copier always falls under my purview.
If my boss is late, I am considered the one who dropped the ball.
There is no room for advancement. I are stuck in administrative work and always will be. *** True ***
In smaller companies, I am responsible for answering all the phone calls which is very distracting.
Interruptions are numerous and my time is not respected. *** Admin's time is never respected. ***
I must add to this very well populated list that admin's are also the easiest ones to throw under the bus if something goes wrong. Whether we like it or not, we are the most expendable and easily replaced employee. I hate that, but it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment