Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 06:11 PM

560 posts, read 1,549,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
...The corp office scene is truly hell...
That's an understatement. But like another intelleigent poster said (Mikenigh) above, the terrible office scene should be your motivation to SAVE as much as you can. Think about it: do you want to spend the money your went to hell to get by spending it? SAVE, SAVE, SAVE and when the time comes that you must walk away, you will be so proud of yourself. Beleive me on that! In the meantime, learn (or force yourself) to smile, it really makes everything easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 07:40 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
The corp office scene is truly hell
A blast furnace cast-house floor in August, that's Hell. You have a job sitting on your duff in a heated and air conditioned office; a job in which you never sweat or freeze, never take a header, get smashed by a load, get burned or cut, never break any bones. You're in an unpleasant situation, not Hell.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:03 AM

926 posts, read 1,256,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Solution: stop working in offices. Regarding government jobs, I had one for a short while and it took place in an office. I hated that job more than any other job I've ever had. I dealt with some of the rudest, most useless coworkers, doing mind numbing work, all for a rather meager paycheck. The office politics at that government (TX state) office job was every bit as bad as what I've dealt with in the private sector.

Thank you for stating this much better than I could. So true!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Join a startup.
The 12-16 hour work days expected in startups are a difficult option for folks with families.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:55 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,655 times
Quote:
The corp office scene is truly hell but it's a decent, steady paycheck with benefits so what are the options?
That's quite a broad, sweeping statement. "Office scene" can refer to lots of careers, jobs and industries. Some satisfying, flexible and fulfilling, some not so much.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Ever consider a career in the medical field? You get to run your arse off for your shift. hold your urine for hours, and if you're lucky have a ten minute lunch break. Oh and I forgot you get to look at some really horrifying things people do to each other. Did I mention dealing with some really gross body fluids? I had an office job once upon a time. It wasn't for me. I'll take the body fluids please.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:09 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
The 12-16 hour work days expected in startups are a difficult option for folks with families.
I never suggested folks have families.....

Old 02-19-2013, 11:04 AM

136 posts, read 239,226 times
Keep your head down , your ears open and do your job. It's all well and good to be able to work/play but work/get paid is your priority. Try to stay out of the fray but realize that if you have any desire for upward mobility in that company you'll need to learn to deal with the BS. Actually, you'll need to learn to give and take the BS. You need thick skin and a game face. You can research websites that will provide some useful responses for different work related situations. There should be office appropriate ways to convey that a coworker is a useless, drooling moron or a treacherous, deceptive (son.Of.a) b!!!!.

Best wishes

Old 02-19-2013, 11:12 AM

977 posts, read 1,815,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
Tthe terrible office scene should be your motivation to SAVE as much as you can. Think about it: do you want to spend the money your went to hell to get by spending it? SAVE, SAVE, SAVE and when the time comes that you must walk away, you will be so proud of yourself.
Yep. Always try to save as much as possible without affecting quality of life too much and eventually you'll have "EFF U" money.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 AM

560 posts, read 1,549,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiShi View Post
....There should be office appropriate ways to convey that a coworker is a useless, drooling moron or a treacherous, deceptive (son.Of.a) b!!!!.
Please, please, tell us what they are. I badly need to use those techniques. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment